Installed new MAF, still get code 34???

Sinister86

just as the subject say, i installed my new maf sensor (the 3.5" ls1 variety) yesterday and it ran great last night and this morning but this afternoon it went back to its old ways. the idle was still high after i installed it and then it started stumbling when i try to accelerate with the check engine light coming on. these are the same symptoms i had before i put the new maf on. i checked the diagnostics using the tried and true paper clip method and got a code 34 yet again. just as i had before the new maf. can you guys tell me whats going on? could this just be a tps sensor needing adjustment or are my problems more serious than that? frankly im a little pissed the problem isnt fixed after about 340 bucks in sensor and translator... (it is faster tho when it wants to run right ;) )

The short version from the mailing list:

CODE 34

Trouble Code 34 indicates that the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is reporting less air is entering the engine than makes sense based on RPM and TPS. The MAF sensor produces a frequency output; around 30 Hz at idle to 150 Hz under acceleration. The frequency varies proportionally to airflow. The ECM monitors the frequency and thus determines airflow into the engine. Typical idle MAF is 5 to 7 grams per second.

The conditions for setting this code are:

no Code 21 or 22 (TPS Error) present, and
the air flow reported is < 4 grams per second, and
TPS indicates 10% or more throttle position, and
the engine speed is 1800 RPM or higher, and
the above conditions exist for over 5 seconds.

Typical causes for this code include:

1) Faulty air ducting to or from MAF sensor
2) Faulty ECM-to-MAF connections
3) Poor routing of MAF harness (i.e. near coil packs)
4) Maladjusted TPS sensor
5) Defective MAF sensor
6) Defective ECM

It appears that the maf is only one of the potential causes:

Did you start with the conditions and try to determine which one might be in violation of the terms?

yes, i talked with other local tr owners and we all agreed that it had to be the maf. i bought my new one from ramchargers and it is factory reconditioned (this made me slightly wary from the beginning) but ramchargers told me theyve never had any real problems with them. i always seem to get f'd up parts, only last time it was my engine that ate a cam...

As the code seems to be there with the Translator, perhaps, it is time to reconvene local owners and take another path? :)

I always figured the benefit of owning several cars was the ability to swap parts without buying first.... :)

You might try eliminating the possible conditions next.

Do you have any scantool data with the car idling? (Airflow, TPS) Also, what rpm is it idling at?

Like Steve pointed out, there are some conditions that can occur that will set this code. Like high idle, tps over 10%, and maf under 4 for 5 seconds. You could have something out of adjustment possibly. It's helpful to get a scantool of some sort on there to tell you what the sensors are seeing.

Eric

hey, im going to get together with some of the other tr owners this weekend to see what the deal is. as far as the ls1 maf goes... if it wasnt the maf, well then, i have an ls1 maf now! not a bad excuse to get a new little power freer-upper. plus, it was my tax return that paid for it so f'k it