Installed TA49 and Injectors - now motor smoking

turbotaguy

I purchased a lightly used TA49 (still looked new) and 42# injectors for my 87 GN along with a new Turbo Tweak chip.

I finally got around to installing this combo and the car runs great, but it smokes. I notice it at idle mostly. It also smells. It did not smoke or smell before the install (still had original turbo installed). Where do you think I should begin? The car is stock (except exhaust) besides this combo.

I was thinking about reinstalling the original turbo to see if that smokes - then I would know the TA49 was the culprit or the injectors (since they were used). Thoughts?

Sounds like your "new" turbo may have some questionable seals.

Best place to send it for rebuild? What does that usually cost?

Gnpopshop.com for the rebuild. Depending on how much you spent for the 49and the 275-400 rebuild charge, you may be way over your value of the 49. May be worth persuing your seller and get some of your money back.

Yes, I did tell TT which injectors....and it is written on the chip.

Kind the drain? What does that mean? I will take a look I guess.

Yes, I did tell TT which injectors....and it is written on the chip.

Kind the drain? What does that mean? I will take a look I guess.
I believe he means the turbo drain to the block. Make sure it's not kinked preventing oil from draining back to the block, although they are designed not to kink, it's possible. I agree on the bad seal theory. Those are decent turbos, get her checked out.

yes I mean the turbo drain.

its an easy enough thing to screw up. piece of RTV... or it just got mangled. never hurts to check.

think about his statements. it mostly smokes at idle. compressor seals typically leak under boost. theres no boost at idle. not saying it cant be the seals.... but following the trouble shooting chart.............:rolleyes:

A.j.

stuck open or dribbling injector is enough to make it look smokey. i just had an injector jam open on one of our cars looked like terminal smoke and got worse and worse at idle then found stuck open burnt out injector fitted some others no more smoke dunno if it was washing off carbon and oil and burning it or what but shes good now

I had a turbo setting on it's side for a long time with the motor apart and oil seeped down into the turbine side. It smoked like a son of a bitch for 10-15 minutes before it quit. I was calling around, asking questions, etc. There is no reason why anything with the motor should be wrong because of a turbo or injector swap. Does the exhaust smell like gas or oil that will tell you a lot.

Just changed my T70, (blue smoke at idle). If you can get the down pipe out of the way, look behind the turbine wheel with a light. Leaking seal=wet oily. Did you check for in & out and side play? If not good time with down pipe out of the way.
Did you have to re clock the turbine housing for install? If those bolts are loose can also leak oil around seal. Most likely though, seal going bad. x2, G POP SHOP.
That sometimes is the problem when buying a used turbo (NEVER SMOKED WHEN I HAD IT,I'M SURPRISED!!)
Good luck,

I JUST went through this VERY same problem. I chased a stinky (very heavy gas smell) and smoky exhaust for quite some time. I replaced my stock turbo with another stocker from a board member, this second one was actually worse! So I installed a freshly rebuilt te-44 yesterday, not installed since rebuild and I had my nose in the tailpipes sniffing with no acrid smell of fuel and NO SMOKE! For the first time in a long time.
'Tis the turbo.
I'd be willing to be alot of money on that.
NK!!

Thanks for the input guys. I just finished putting the original stock turbo back on. I plan to run it for a couple of days to see if it smokes. If the smoking is gone, I'll send the TA49 off to be rebuilt.

One question - I changed the turbo to a TA49, installed 42# injectors, and added a matching chip. I have not put the stock turbo back on but plan to leave the 42# injectors and chip. I'm assuming that should be ok for a couple of weeks while I have the TA49 rebuilt. I don't plan to get on it during this time, just cruising a bit. Big injectors and chip should be ok with the stock turbo for a few weeks?

Bignikk hit the nail on the head. I just ran the car for a while with the original stock turbo back on it (but still kept the 42# injectors and TT chip) and no smoke and no stink. I will run it more tomorrow to be sure, but I think my "new" turbo needs to be rebuilt.

I'll post again tomorrow if it smokes after I run it for a while longer.

I JUST went through this VERY same problem. I chased a stinky (very heavy gas smell) and smoky exhaust for quite some time. I replaced my stock turbo with another stocker from a board member, this second one was actually worse! So I installed a freshly rebuilt te-44 yesterday, not installed since rebuild and I had my nose in the tailpipes sniffing with no acrid smell of fuel and NO SMOKE! For the first time in a long time.
'Tis the turbo.
I'd be willing to be alot of money on that.
NK!!

I drove the GN all evening tonight (big smile now that my AC is fixed) in 90 deg weather - no smoke or smell at all. The "lightly used" TA49 needs to be rebuilt. I'm not sure where to send it. Seems like a rebuild will be $350+. Wondering about buying the $599 TE44 new and selling the TA49 as a core. The TE44 needs an actuator too though....hmm...

Where is the best and least expensive place to rebuild the TA49?

I sent my TA49 to Turbo City for a rebuild. came out to about $250. I was pleased with their work. I only sent in the center rotating assembly.