Installing a new turbo

I'm pretty mechanically skilled at most things I work at, but before i get into changing out a turbo, injectors, chip, and adjustable FPR, I'm wondering is there anything i should know.

I'm mainly questioning just the installation of the turbo. I know to disconnect the battery and such for chip installation.

I currently have stock turbo, stock injectors, and an aftermarket chip. The turbo I will be installation is a TE44, 42.5# injectors, Gbodyparts FPR, and a TT 5.6 chip. I also just purchased a PL during the Black Friday specials and will be installing that.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, and I tried to search for turbo installation, but the search function is still being worked on I believe and didn't come up with great results.

Use only non hardening Teflon paste on the pipe thread oil inlet fitting. No tape or rtv! Make sure oil pressure is present on startup. After a heat cycle run a wrench over all the bolts to be sure they're tight. Don't drive wide open throttle till the oil is up to temp. That's about it. Other than that being sure the turbo is fed clean pressurized oil there's no maintenance.

I'm pretty mechanically skilled at most things I work at, but before i get into changing out a turbo, injectors, chip, and adjustable FPR, I'm wondering is there anything i should know.

I'm mainly questioning just the installation of the turbo. I know to disconnect the battery and such for chip installation.

I currently have stock turbo, stock injectors, and an aftermarket chip. The turbo I will be installation is a TE44, 42.5# injectors, Gbodyparts FPR, and a TT 5.6 chip. I also just purchased a PL during the Black Friday specials and will be installing that.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, and I tried to search for turbo installation, but the search function is still being worked on I believe and didn't come up with great results.
also when installing the new injectors be sure to grease the o- rings on them before pushing them in place. & set pressure reg with vac line off, fully warmed up to operating temp. enjoy the xtra horsepower !!

Thanks for the replies, what's the best method to ensure oil pressure is present on startup? I don't have an oil pressure guage installed on the car.

Thanks for the heads up on the pressure reg, I would have never did that. I've swapped out some injectors before, but that was years ago on a Honda, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

do everything you mentioned one at a time. that way if you end up with a problem you don't have to figure out what is causing the problem. Once the new whatever is installed and works correctly then install the next item. although since the injectors and chips are made to work together those are something you install both at the same time.

Be careful not to drop anything in the exhaust manifold or injector holes.
Some times the simplest things are the ones you tend to look over .

Thanks for the replies, what's the best method to ensure oil pressure is present on startup? I don't have an oil pressure guage installed on the car.

Thanks for the heads up on the pressure reg, I would have never did that. I've swapped out some injectors before, but that was years ago on a Honda, but that's about as far as I've gotten.
The best way is to install an oil pressure gauge on the car

If you don't have it already, you will need a fuel pump, hot wire kit and a volt booster before you do any performance upgrades. The stock pump is not up to the job.

Thanks all for the tips , liked that injector install how to alot.

I guess i will be installing a oil pressure guage as well.

I should have mentioned the car already has a hotwired walbro fuel pump and a volt booster. Also has a THDP and a MAF translator.

You are looking for 43 psi fuel press with vac line off, should drop to around 38 when put vac line back on, this is normal.

Awesome , thanks for the specifics ! I have a rail mounted fuel pressure guage that came with the car, I'm hoping it works properly.

Awesome , thanks for the specifics ! I have a rail mounted fuel pressure guage that came with the car, I'm hoping it works properly.

Rail mounts shouldn't be depended on. Mine said that 38 PSI was actually 34 after about 6 months.

Fuel pressure isn't monitored by the stock computer. You can get a fuel pressure transducer, like from Casper's Electronics, and tie it into the Powerlogger.

Oh ok well i guess for now I will just go by the rail mounted guage and hope its accurate.
You could also just rent/borrow a good one from Oreilly or Autozone. They'll take a security deposit and refund it all back when you return it. Or just buy a good one. $50 now could turn into a tool that you'll use more than once, especially if you're going to take horsepower seriously.

I have one installed on the car now , just earlier someone was saying they're not always accurate. I live right next to an Advanced and Auto Zone so thats pretty cool.

All the jobs you have planned are pretty easy. Even i was able to accomplish all of them! Searching on the board was really helpful, especially on the injectors. When I swapped turbos, I made sure there was oil flow to it by leaving the feed line disconnected and poked it inside an empty water bottle. Disconnected the orange ECM wire, and cranked the motor over until I got oil out of the feed. Didn't take but a few seconds.

Began installing things today and DAMN what a pain in the ass lol. I think Jesus himself put on the fuel line on the bottom of the stock pressure regulator. Still stuck on the i gave up for the night. Where the Terry Houston DP connects to the turbo it has hex key bolts and i tried for about 10 mins and they didnt budge. Round two tomorrow.