installing boost gauge?

turbobooster

ok hey guys ive ben at it for weeks already lol and damn i cant figure out how to install my boost gauge has any on here installed there own boost gauge in here car if so i really need the help and intructions as where to hook up my wires and gauge boost too and step by step or thing to look for i do aprreciate thank u and thanx quick 85 for pics but still need help

the guage is more of a mechanical guage then an electrical guage
the wires are just to light up the guage when you turn your hedlights on
im sure they had instructions on where to wire it in, its quite simple
tho its not necassary wire it right away cuz the guage doesnt need power to operate. Im sure you can do a search on this page if the boost guage didnt have instructions.

And as for your boost signal you have to tie into that nipple that is on the back of the intake.

make sure your car is cool, and feel around the back of the intake, more towards the passenger side.
you will see and feel a metal nipple sticking out the back of the intake , with 2 rubber hoses connected to it.

Easiest Way to do this, in my opinion, is to take off the 2 bolts, that hold the throttle body on.
Just move the whole throttle body off to the side
Cuz its just a total PITA trying to work back there.

once you get that off

You will see the metal port sticking out of the back of the intake , with 2 hose connections going to it.
one going to the passenger side (for the sensor that controls them orange and yellow boost lights on the dashboard)

and one going to that metal hose that runs along the top of the intake to the fuel pressure regulator.

i think the easiest way is to " T " your boost guage hose, into that rubber hose, that connects that steel vacuum line ( from the regulator) to that (port) on the back on the intake.

If this confuses you, look at the fuel regulator, and follow the vacuum line that connects to it....... back towards the windshield.
you will see where it curves toward the passenger side, and there is a rubber hoses right there, that connects it to the Port
" T " into that hose right there!!!!!!!!!

that should getcha a good boost signal.

make sure you have all them hoses real tight, and make sure they do not leak (try zip ties or super small hoses clamps)

its very important they dont leak cuz that rubber hose to the fuel regulator controls fuel pressure under boost !!!!!!! :D

hey check this out
i found something for you

this will give you a Total visual of the of the port u need to access on the back of the intake

go to this link right here ..........
http://www.engraver1.com/help/intake2.gif

check out that pic
number < 14 manifold vacuum pressure >
in that pic is exactly where you get your boost signal from

see where that port goes to the left up to that steel vacuum line?
" T " your boost guage right into there!!!!!!!!!

If you ever need basic turbo regal info
like vacuum lines , spark plug order etc etc,

go to the first thread on the Hot Air regal Forum
and it says "basic info"
look around there, you will find alot of answers to your questions

hope this helps
:D

hey i found it and now wit ur help and pics u made it much much eazier thanx alot ninja i do appreciate ur asssitance and info to help me out now i can move on to more things for my ride thanx alot very useful and helpful info couldnt be happier :D

There is a plugged hole in the front as well

Hey buddy, there is a hole with a plug in it from the factory, it is located down by the thermostate housing and in my opinion easier to get to. It should be a small plug and pretty easy to reach, plus it is in the front of the intake close to the ports for accurate readings. Thats where mine is and it works great.

hey matto thanx for that info do u have any pics that can show me where exactly ur talkin bout maybe point it out any pics like ninja ? or what should i look for and where?

I was in the same boat. I found the nipple in back and traced the line that runs to the pass. fender. found a good even strait piece and cut it. Put a T in it and ran some tubeing from the parts store that was free over to the drivers side and put the thin line that comes with the gauge on the end of the hose. Then I taped the line to a coat hanger and pushed it through the big rubber gromet that the accel. cable runs through. Correct me on the name of the cable, but its not hard to miss. tghen I ran the line under the dash and up the A pillar to the gauge. I spliced the light into the shift indicator light wire under the radio and ground the other under the dash right above the P-brake pedal. Works like a pro did it! The light dims along with all the other lights! I was proud of myself. Hope this helps! This one if Im not mistaken is the line that goes to the factory boost gauge on the pass. fender. I THINK. Mine works well and dont have to worry about cuttin the line off the FP reg. Im pretty sure I used the procedure off gnttype.org or maybe someone here helped me out or a little of both.

There's just one thing I don't quite understand:

First, check out http://www.engraver1.com/help/intake2.gif

Now, look at #14. See the "T" in that pic? The center of the "T" goes into #14, the left of the "T" goes into the hose, but what the heck does the right of the "T" go into? Like the pic, mine goes into nothing, and isn't even plugged up. So, what's the whole point of the "T" if the right of it goes into nothing?

Terence,

From the factory I believe that it was a right angle fit that had no other side to the T. Usually the MAP (or Stock Boost Gauge) gets its reading from up near the vacume block. I removed my Stock 90' piece, and replaced it with a full 'T' on side went to the metal Vacume lines, and the other went to my MAP sensor.

As far as using that whole area for an aftermarket Boost Gauge....Avoid it.

On the front of your intake over near the water neck, and water temp sensor there is a plug. Remove the plug in the intake, and it will supply you with a direct port for you to get your boost gauge reading. Along with your Boost Gauge kit there usually comes brass fittings. One of those fittings fits right into the intake, and provides you with a tight Boost Gauge seal.

When dealing with boost I HATE going through Vac lines. IMO Tap the intake for the boost reading, because you will get the most accurate reading that way.

Hope this helps some,

I probably went a bit overboard........ I connected mine to the front of the intake as stated above, but also put the plastic vaccum line inside a piece of rubber vaccum hose.

That clear plastic line just kinks or melts too easy.....thought the black hose was less obvious too ...... connected the ends with shrink tubing.

Yeah, I think too much

:D :p

Originally posted by TurboRegal84
Terence,

From the factory I believe that it was a right angle fit that had no other side to the T. Usually the MAP (or Stock Boost Gauge) gets its reading from up near the vacume block. I removed my Stock 90' piece, and replaced it with a full 'T' on side went to the metal Vacume lines, and the other went to my MAP sensor.

As far as using that whole area for an aftermarket Boost Gauge....Avoid it.

On the front of your intake over near the water neck, and water temp sensor there is a plug. Remove the plug in the intake, and it will supply you with a direct port for you to get your boost gauge reading. Along with your Boost Gauge kit there usually comes brass fittings. One of those fittings fits right into the intake, and provides you with a tight Boost Gauge seal.

When dealing with boost I HATE going through Vac lines. IMO Tap the intake for the boost reading, because you will get the most accurate reading that way.

Hope this helps some,

Thanks for all the info. Will do it tomorrow when it's not dark out. :) But one last question. That "T" in pic #14. Should I plug the right of it or leave it alone?

If it is open that will make your car run lean. (Source of unmetered air after the MAF).

Use it for something, or just simply plug it.

Originally posted by TurboRegal84

Hope this helps some,

OK, either I must be a total retard, blind, or my car is special because I can't find any plug. I looked high and low under the fpr, and there is nothing there. Do you have any pics? Is the plug directly on the intake (the intake with the oil on it?)? What color is it? Is it simply a cap, or a plug with attachments? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm puzszled. :confused:

You might have to remove the coil pack to access the plug, it's screws into the front intake, it's just a small plug that you can screw a fitting into.

heyguys i was wondering in that reply about hookin up the gauge to the front nipple in the front of the intake if i remove that plug from there and hook up the gauige right there whatdo i do wit the plug thst was originalkly there ? do i need a T right there ? or what? thanx

You need no tee there, it is a pipe plug.........nothing is connected there. If U connect a boost gauge there it will be the only thing connected to that port...........no tee needed.:)

ok so i basically just screw off that bolt and hook up the hose there ? what r the exact procedures to hookin it up there ?