Installing HR Parts N Stuff Rear Upper & Lower Control Arms

1KWIKSIX

Any tips or suggestions on installing upper & lowers? Gonna tackle this in the morning. Car is up on jack stands so I'll be on my back side.
The nut on the upper looks like it will be a bitch to remove as there doesn't appear to be much room .

Anyone helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thx
dave

Rears ?

Remove the springs and only take one arm off at a time.

Before loosening any bolts soak them down with WD-40 and then brush them with a wire brush.

I would do 1 UCA at a time since the rear end will want to roll on you if you take out both at once.

If you can, put a dial gauge on there to see where your pinion angle is now, so that once you are done you can adjust it back to the same spot.

The lowers are pretty easy as straightforward. Again, just do 1 side at a time so that the rear end does sway/move on you.

Make sure you mark your original angle so you have the original starting angle from the beginning.Sometimes that always works better then any measurement.IMO

Thanks for the comments gentlemen!
I should have told you that the differential assembly is presently out of the car (as it is now refinished) and the control arms are being installed without this issue.
I'm also running fixed (stock length) , non-adjustable uppers & lowers, so the pinion angle will be fixed. (One less thing to worry about I guess).

Attachments

• Refinished Rear End.jpg
    Refinished Rear End.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for the comments gentlemen!
I should have told you that the differential assembly is presently out of the car (as it is now refinished) and the control arms are being installed without this issue.
I'm also running fixed (stock length) , non-adjustable uppers & lowers, so the pinion angle will be fixed. (One less thing to worry about I guess).

So did you modify the stock differential to allow the use of such large coilovers? Or is that simply how large the AFCO's come?

No need to modify the rear end for coil overs. The QA-1's have already been on the car for a few seasons. Just bolt em on and go.
Since mine are an older version they use 14" springs, whereas the current / new coil over from QA-1 uses a 12" spring.
I did however add QA-1's lower & upper brackets they now offer with their coil overs. It give a much more robust / stronger attachment points both upper & lower. I've since had these powder coated Black. In addition I've also installed the UMI upper shock tower brace .

Attachments

• QA1 Gbody Rear Coil Over Mount Kit3.jpg
    QA1 Gbody Rear Coil Over Mount Kit3.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 110
  • QA1 rear coil overs and UMI shock tower support.jpg
    QA1 rear coil overs and UMI shock tower support.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 107
No need to modify the rear end for coil overs. The QA-1's have already been on the car for a few seasons. Just bolt em on and go.
Since mine are an older version they use 14" springs, whereas the current / new coil over from QA-1 uses a 12" spring.
I did however add QA-1's lower & upper brackets they now offer with their coil overs. It give a much more robust / stronger attachment points both upper & lower. I've since had these powder coated Black. In addition I've also installed the UMI upper shock tower brace .
Whats the reason you guys run the coilovers? Adjusting the height? Any other pros/cons? Would I find any benefit over my stock springs and Bilstiens?

Whats the reason you guys run the coilovers? Adjusting the height? Any other pros/cons? Would I find any benefit over my stock springs and Bilstiens?

Pretty much to be able to get that exact stance (height) front & rear . You also have an abundant choice of spring rates .

Coilovers for the rear, seeing as they can run such a large spring, seem to make some sense.

Which the adjustable spring perch/mounts from TRZ you can use a spring and shock combo and still have the ability to change your ride height at a whim.

Coilovers for stock mounting position on the front of the car are not the best choice if you want to run your car at the drag strip. If it is a dedicated auto-x or road race car, then perhaps maybe.

I have attached a page I scanned from How To Make Your Muscle Car Handle by Mark Savitske (owner of SC&C) that briefly goes into why coilovers for the G-body aren't such a great option, at least for the front.

Attachments

• Why Coilovers aren't ideal for a G-body.pdf
    479 KB · Views: 66
Got the HR Parts upper & lower control arms installed and differential back in its place.
Now to install the rear brake shoes and hardware, bleed the brakes, grease the new bushings and we're back in business!

Certainly went a lot smoother with a 2nd set of hands. Still a bit of a struggle getting all the pivot points lined up, but we persevered and got it.