Installing UMI shock tower brace Question .

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I'm trying to install this brace and want to know if there are any tricks , or do I have to remove the exhaust hangers ? Thanks , Sam

Thanks, I was hoping to not have to remove them .

You may not have to. I just removed them because my exhaust doesnt use them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I thought you had to run one or the other. In other words, if you need the hangers, you can't run the brace. Correct?

I don't see the hangers being a problem once the brace is in place , it's just getting it up , over and around everything just to bolt it up .

Sam, My exhaust hangers are not being used so not installed on my car when I put in the UMI Shock Tower Brace. I can see how it would be a challenge with the hangers though.

I thought you had to run one or the other. In other words, if you need the hangers, you can't run the brace. Correct?

Correct , after struggling to get everything to fit it is a no go , you can't have both . This is something that should be noted before you purchase . So after I use the UMI brace to help in the fabrication of a brace that will work with exhaust hangers in place , my UMI brace will be for sale .

UMI told me it would not work with stock exhaust, RJC exhaust, or with the hangers left in place.

UMI told me it would not work with stock exhaust, RJC exhaust, or with the hangers left in place.
Unfortunately I got my brace from one of our vendors and there was no mention of fitment problems with different exhaust systems . That's ok , I'll make my own and someone will get a once mounted , never used brace for a good price. Any vendors who sell this product should take note .

Last edited:
Mine is being installed today. Fingers crossed. Have Pypes exhaust. If the factory hangers need to go, so be it, I'm not using them anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The UMI website has good pictures of an install. You can clearly see how it fits and what would interfere.

Unfortunately I got my brace from one of our vendors and there was no mention of fitment problems with different exhaust systems . That's ok , I'll make my own and someone will get a once mounted , never used brace for a good price. Any vendors who sell this product should take note .
From my website!

This 100% jig built, bolt-in brace ties the rear upper shock mounts together to share the load and stiffen the chassis. Strong 1-1/4" tubing is MIG welded to 3/16" thick laser cut brackets for a perfect fit. Hardware is included to make this a true, easy bolt-in installation. This brace is designed to clear all of the popular exhaust systems and works equally well on coilover setups and traditional spring/shock combinations. Built from US Steel and are available in black and red powder coat.

NOTES! May not work with some factory tail pipe hanger brackets. Shock upper bolt holes need to be drilled out to next size.

Features:

Manufactured from 1-1/4" USA Tubing

CNC laser cut 3/16" mounting brackets

Grade 8 hardware included.

Easy bolt in installation with basic hand tools.

Powder coated for a durable long lasting finish.

any competent muffler shop can hang the muffler off of the umi bar instead of using the factory hangers

Or eliminate the factory hangers and weld brackets on the tailpipe and attach to the frame rails like our new style tail pipes on our exhausts we sell.
3_INCH_EXHUAST_4.jpg

Just picked my car up after having some work done including the shock tower brace. Factory hangers had to come off but the Pypes exhaust uses a welded-on hanger that goes from the tailpipe to the frame just like what Mark shows in his picture.

From my website!

This 100% jig built, bolt-in brace ties the rear upper shock mounts together to share the load and stiffen the chassis. Strong 1-1/4" tubing is MIG welded to 3/16" thick laser cut brackets for a perfect fit. Hardware is included to make this a true, easy bolt-in installation. This brace is designed to clear all of the popular exhaust systems and works equally well on coilover setups and traditional spring/shock combinations. Built from US Steel and are available in black and red powder coat.

NOTES! May not work with some factory tail pipe hanger brackets. Shock upper bolt holes need to be drilled out to next size.

Features:

Manufactured from 1-1/4" USA Tubing

CNC laser cut 3/16" mounting brackets

Grade 8 hardware included.

Easy bolt in installation with basic hand tools.

Powder coated for a durable long lasting finish.

My bad Mark , I didn't read the full description . I can tell you that it will not fit a turbo regal with factory hangers . I don't want to modify my ATR exhaust which uses stock hangers . Not a big deal though , I'll make something that works with factory hangers using the shock mounting bracket on the UMI bar as a template .