Intercooled guys with the throttle body re-located…

rob350

Let's see some pictures. :cool: I found a few, but maybe there is some more floating around?

Turbomotion But I never was happy with it
Rat's nest of pipes
Changed to 87 on the HA block
Never going back to HA
The engine will be for sale soon with a roller cam

Attachments

• 84 GN5.JPG
    84 GN5.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 87setup3.jpg
    87setup3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,137
If you look up posts by Cool 84 2. He has a nifty set up and I think I read he did it for cheap. I just can't find the thread again. He has a photo bucket of what he did and it looks pretty clean.

Cool......if you read this. I'd love to know what you got out of the car with this set up. And to anyone else with an intercooled hot air car.

I'd have to agree with conn84gn. If your going to add an intercooler, it would seem more reasonable to just change everything over to the 86/87 setup. There's definitely more parts involved in the change over, but I'm sure it pays dividends in the long run with all the performance parts available, serviceablity of the engine ,etc ...

I'd have to agree with conn84gn. If your going to add an intercooler, it would seem more reasonable to just change everything over to the 86/87 setup. There's definitely more parts involved in the change over, but I'm sure it pays dividends in the long run with all the performance parts available, serviceablity of the engine ,etc ...

X2 on that! Trust me! :biggrin:

Some of the mods(Spearco kit $$$) you have now you will be able to sell and help fund the money to convert over. I have done both Spearco kit by itself and then V2 intake w/Spearco out front....no doubt in my mind if I had to do it over again I would do what Conn did! Just look at Conn's engine compartment and tell me you don't want that! :biggrin:

How difficult and how much work is it to make the switch?
What are really the necessary peices for the changeover from hotair to 87?

Because if I have an IC'd 84, and I start making switches, what is it that I would need to really start doing to make it at the performance level of the 87?

Throwing a front mount intercooler on a hot air will get you right up to or beyone depend on mods to the performance level of a stock '87 thats running a little more boost then stock. Were talking high 13...low 14 in the quarter mile.
If you don't plan on going nuts with your car then just throwing the intercooler on is the way to go. Its a easy upgrade that can be done in a weekend. But, switching everything over to '87 stuff will take you longer then that and probably run into a couple of headaches.

I am seriously considering this... I need to find a detailed list on what I need. Also, whats the scoop with using the hot air heater core? I don't have a powermaster on my car, so how would I go about using my stock hydroboost setup?

Rob

Yes, I am ok with high 13's, low 14's, for the moment.

Heck, it looks like this is actually possible to get some traction off of.

I'm looking forward to getting one of these!

I went the times in my sig with a spearco frontmount.

I never did have the idle or stumble problems that some others had with the stock tb location.I think moving it should be worth some power though.

Wow WFO, what's the full list you have to get those numbers. Inquiring minds wnat to know!! Hahahaha. Picking up a t-type in a week that has a built long block and all the hot air to put back together and some 86/87 parts But I'd be MORE than happy with low 12's on the hot air set up. Do tell us!:biggrin:

I went the times in my sig with a spearco frontmount.

I never did have the idle or stumble problems that some others had with the stock tb location.I think moving it should be worth some power though.

The funny thing is my car only idles funny sometimes. It seems to happen when you first start it up and thats it.

Why would it idle badly?

I've got a bad idle, but I think that's due to my 02 sensor.

Some have reported bad idle because of the excess piping for the intercooler.
Do you have a scan gauge of some sort to determine if you 02 sensor is not cycling like it should? Is the car throwing an engine code?

Wow WFO, what's the full list you have to get those numbers. Inquiring minds wnat to know!! Hahahaha. Picking up a t-type in a week that has a built long block and all the hot air to put back together and some 86/87 parts But I'd be MORE than happy with low 12's on the hot air set up. Do tell us!:biggrin:

-Spearco frontmount
-Lee Thompson headers/3" DP
-Ported heads
-Port matched stock intake
-MM 208 cam
-ATR 3" single
-16 Position Maxeffort chip
-42# injectors
-9/11 3200 stall
-TA-61

Those times were on a 90 degree day with mixed race/pump gas,24 degrees timing and 25# of boost.I'm confident the same or better times could be run with pump gas/alky.

Was running BFG drag radials and could only muster 1.9x 60' times,a set of slicks and a 1.6x prolly woulda put me in the 11.6xs...

FWIW,a bunch of this stuff is prolly gonna be for sale soon...

Well, I think i'm just going to move the throttle body to the pressure side for now. Next winter I might do the conversion, but i'm not sure yet. I'll be sure to post some pictures when i'm done. It never surged today at all though.. :confused:

Hi everyone. I am new to this fourm and new to Grand Nationals. I just purchased an 85HA last week. Looking into future mods I will convert to an 87 set-up. However has anyone ever thought of keeping the throttle-body in the current location with a custom adapter from the TB to the intake manifold. Then relocate the turbo with an 87 exhaust manifold & downpipe/exhaust. Then blow through an intercooler then throttle-body finally through the adapter into the intake. The mass air would need to be on the inlet sid of the compressor using the 87 intake.
This set up would allow you to keep the origional ecu, intake manifold, wire harness, accessories, etc.
But where does the A/c system go?
Well just a thought. What do you think?