Intercooled Turbo from 1917

Mark T-TB

car crazy from birth
Spotted this at the U.S. Air Force Museum last week.
The "Liberty" V-12 aircraft engine (also used in other things) with "Turbo-supercharger" and intercooler.
I'm a little unclear on the exact timing, but it was designed and first used in WWI.
lvKA4vDl.jpg

What do you think?

Timing? I would say 34* before top dead center. J/K :D I have no idea.

Wright Patterson AFB? Been there a few times both for work and to see the museum with the fam. Second best air museum across the US. WP is only beat out by the Pima Air Museum and the Boneyard at Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson AZ for obvious reasons.

Thanks. Yes, the Museum is "next door" to W-P in Dayton OH. I could probably spend 2 weeks there... or maybe that wouldn't even be enough to check out everything... and the 4th Hangar should be open next summer. We did not have time get to any of the other Wright Bros. sites either.

"Timing?" :confused:
The sign at the Museum said the Liberty was used in WWI, but something I saw on the internet that referred to a somewhat later date for the Turbo and some record-setting?
The Wikipedia article about the engine notes how quickly it was designed & developed, but no details about when the nifty Turbo was added. Even back then they figured that something was needed to maintain power at altitude (y)

Is this a business trip or you live in the area? I work on WP and every car cruise or show I go to in the area people say they don't see our TBs anymore so I could use some back up.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Is this a business trip or you live in the area? I work on WP and every car cruise or show I go to in the area people say they don't see our TBs anymore so I could use some back up.

On vacation at at car club event... that is a nice area.
We were there last year with the TTA for the TA Nationals, then back this year for the Sunbeam Club (with our Tiger).
Had a big British car show at a nice park there Saturday, then ran the autocross at Kil-Kare Raceway on Sunday :cool:

I use to build WWII era fighter engines for a top Unlimited Hydroplane Team. Rolls Royce Griffon V-12's. 2,240 cid engines. 6" bore with 6.5" stroke. Here is a picture of a set of pistons and rods out of one laying on a LSX Chevy. 5,000+ HP on gasoline and nitrous. We would go through 65 gal of 115/145 AV gas with an addative, 25 gallons of water/methanol, and 150 pounds of nitrous in a 5 minute heat/race. Fun times. Here is a video of the boat. @50 seconds is one of the engines I built. Dinosaurs, they where. Now every team runs turbines.

Attachments

• IMG_20140723_155732231.jpg
    IMG_20140723_155732231.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20140723_153843848.jpg
    IMG_20140723_153843848.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 104
I use to build WWII era fighter engines for a top Unlimited Hydroplane Team. Rolls Royce Griffon V-12's. 2,240 cid engines. 6" bore with 6.5" stroke. .. Dinosaurs, they were...

'Way cool Dinosaurs!!
All I know about that is from the movie "Madison"... probably a few facts in there somewhere.
Thanks.