Intercooler flow questions

Sleeper1987

3.8L of Fun!
Ok guys I have a kenne bell big boy (assume the later version) it has a pretty small core and small piping (2.25?)I cant find hardly any info on it.Is this any better then the stock mount versions i am seeing with large cores and surface areas? Just wondering the point this intercooler becomes a restriction and when the intercooler pipes should be upgraded to a larger size (3") any input will be greatly apreciated.Thanks :D

dunno

I can't help much, I just know the Kenne Bell is much better than the stock original intercooler. Another good question is, when is the intercooler too big. Like blowing in to a warehouse :rolleyes:

For the street a stretch stock location is hard to beat,other than hanging down low and more prone to damage.Front mounts will add better performance and with stock location open ,the motor is easier to work on.Cooling system must be upgraded for FM unless you drive in cold weather.Going too big will increase your lag factor and car wont be as responsive.Max cooling and velocity is what your after.If your turbo cant keep up its too small or cooler too big.

suicide six said:
For the street a stretch stock location is hard to beat,other than hanging down low and more prone to damage.Front mounts will add better performance and with stock location open ,the motor is easier to work on.Cooling system must be upgraded for FM unless you drive in cold weather.Going too big will increase your lag factor and car wont be as responsive.Max cooling and velocity is what your after.If your turbo cant keep up its too small or cooler too big.

thanks for the info, i just was thinking the small core could be causing a restriction or be ineffeciant and the small piping was also a concern of mine.

Keep it until you reach the high 6's in the 8th mile. Then you may want to upgrade to the later full size front mounts.

Something you can do to help is to install baffles around the top and sides of the core. That way the air that goes into the front has to go through the core instead of hitting it and going around it.

Turbo1dr said:
Keep it until you reach the high 6's in the 8th mile. Then you may want to upgrade to the later full size front mounts.

Something you can do to help is to install baffles around the top and sides of the core. That way the air that goes into the front has to go through the core instead of hitting it and going around it.

I have thought about sealing it off to the grill.