Intercooler hose

gofstbuick

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone buy bulk radiator hose for use on your intercooler? Is there anything special about the intercooler hoses? I called a few HD diesel supply houses and they have step hoses and straight radiator hose in bulk. Lowest price so far is $10/foot

$10/foot sounds like a screaming deal since you only need about 8" of it. It only has to be designed for use on a turbo. Mine came from a yacht place and it was more like $25/foot.

But what constitutes for use with a turbo? Because the current hose on my car is black with a green stripe, and it looks just like Gates bulk radiator hose.

'turbo' hose is much more reinforced than radiator hose. the radiator hose can work for a temp fix but it will baloon out a lot under boost. It is kind of cool to see it happen but not necessarily good for the hose or longevity. Diesel places around here carry true turbo hose, it is a bit more expensive but well worth it. also well worth it are the constant torque clamps they use, much more hold than any other hose clamp. there is a lot of force on the hoses so go with the goos stuff

I buy lengths of the Gates Green Stripe radiator hose...same stuff some of the vendors sell...not cheap though...$2 an inch...

Real turbo hose is expensive because it is made of silicone and will resist the heat. The Gates green stripe is rubber and breaks down due to the heat especially at the intercooler to turbo connection.

I would think that the coolant hose will resist heat up to coolant temps. But do i have to be concerned with slight oil mist (the reason for using silicone hose vs gates green stripe coolant hose)?

You might try McMaster Carr, they have many types of hose. They also have a smooth-bore Neoprene that works for the Turbo inlet $5 / ft.

gofstbuick: Do a search on this site. I posted some info on this a while back when I was sourcing material for my Powerstroke intercooler project. I found a couple of vendors online but ended up getting my hose, clamps, and reducers from Precision Turbo...

Precision Turbo
http://www.precisionte.com (ask for Patrick).

-Banning.

I spent $28/ft CDN at a local Peterbilt (sp?) fo rthe quality blue hose.

The 2.5" T-bolt clamps were $6/ea

i use marine exaust hose

it is gates and has a blue stripe

if it can handle exaust going thru it then it wont have no problem with turbo heat..

it is sold locally by the inch so i dont have to buy extra

Ive used all kinds. Green stripe and now i use some of the blue stripe boat hose. I dont buy that is not as tough.Its made to handle heat and the expansion so they cant expand as mucha as some of these "Turbo app" couplers. It is thicker and its made to handle coolant temps, thats good enough for me and the price is right.

I bought a 1 ft of the 4 in. blue stripe boat exhaust hose for 10 bux and they perfectly cut it into 2 6in pieces.

Thanx for all the replies. I couldn't find the blue stripe hose, but a local marine shop said to see a Norcal distributor. My friend work for a auto parts store that is a Norcal distributor. He sold me Gates green stripe marine exhaust hose (and it is made of EDPM rubber). Cost me $12 per foot.

One more thing regarding this post. Does anyone work for Dupont? Dupont makes a turbo specific hose under the trade name VAMAC (you can go to the Dupont website to look at the specifics). The only problem is the turbo/supercharger market only represents 3-4% of the domestic market, while imports make up 30-40% of the turbo/supercharger market. I don't know if we can cross reference to something that will fit our cars. Also, if there is a retailer the supplies dupont products.

Jus wondering