Intercooler Pinholes

Kovmat

Need some advice. I was getting ready to paint my Intercooler and noticed a bunch of pits in the tubes, see picture.
133_3333.jpg

A couple of these are actual pinholes. My guess is that it left the factory like this, it does not appear that there was any damage that caused these.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone seen this before?
2) Is it possible to fix these?
3) If so, what is the best way to do it? Welding or some type of epoxy?
4) Should I try to fix all the pits or just the ones that are leaking?

Thanks,
Matt

(Quick) JB Weld

The best way I found to repair those is by using JB Weld. And buy the kind that says (Quick) It dries faster. Then when your done you can mist it with some satin black paint to mask the dots of JB..

A Cheap, Easy fix..

Scot W.

Need some advice. I was getting ready to paint my Intercooler and noticed a bunch of pits in the tubes, see picture.
View attachment 65539

A couple of these are actual pinholes. My guess is that it left the factory like this, it does not appear that there was any damage that caused these.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone seen this before?
2) Is it possible to fix these?
3) If so, what is the best way to do it? Welding or some type of epoxy?
4) Should I try to fix all the pits or just the ones that are leaking?

Thanks,
Matt

most welding supply stores have low temperature aluminum "welding" rods----using a propane torch you can use them like solder-------they flow easy and are just the ticket for permanent repairs in things like alum radiators, intercoolers etc-------i have fixed several such things including alum AC lines-----would take a little patience to do all those small holes in your intercooler------i have seem some just like it------and only on "northern" cars-------i believe its due to corrosion under the paint probably from salt..........RC

Sort of off topic while i'm thinking about it:

Has anybody actually tested whether or not paint will act as an insulator on the core and reduce it's heat transfer effectiveness? In theory it seems like it would hurt performance, but I don't know if it would equate to a real world gain leaving it bare. Since you can't see the core when installed anyway I think i'd leave it bare after fixing the pinholes.

Sort of off topic while i'm thinking about it:

Has anybody actually tested whether or not paint will act as an insulator on the core and reduce it's heat transfer effectiveness? In theory it seems like it would hurt performance, but I don't know if it would equate to a real world gain leaving it bare. Since you can't see the core when installed anyway I think i'd leave it bare after fixing the pinholes.

Paint will lower the effectiveness of the intercooler for sure. To what amount will depend on how many coats and how heavy each coat. It may not matter though depending on turbo and limits it is being pushed too.

take it to a radiator shop

and they should be able to repair it and test for leaks - if u use the JB Weld Quick instead of regular it does not hold as well as the regular because it sets so quickly

if thats a stock intercooler, i would even waste my time fixing it. that sure is a lot of pitting/ holes.

That doesn't look like a stock intercooler, was it painted before? I'ld try that alumium welding stuff.

Guys,

Thanks for all the input. It is stock, (kind of) I just stripped and bead blasted it so it is bare Aluminum. I was getting ready to start painting it and noticed all the pits. Unfortunately, I can't just get another stock one since I had to modify the neck and one of the mounting points to fit my application. It is going in a 52 Willys Pickup and is a very tight fit so, it is not as simple as just getting another one.

I will probably start with my buds at the radiator shop first and see what they say about fixing it.

Thanks again for all the input. I will let you know how it goes.

Matt

and they should be able to repair it and test for leaks - if u use the JB Weld Quick instead of regular it does not hold as well as the regular because it sets so quickly
I used the "JB quick" and it held perfectly!! the amount of pressure out of those pin holes is so small it don't matter. Mine held for Years and is probably still holding to this day.
Not sure where the strength test results are between the two but Iv'e had great luck with it in the past.

Still an easy fix either way.

Wash that thing out real good.Hopefully no glass bead made it through small holes that crap gets everywhere.JB weld quick works good. My original one looked like that maybe a little worse. I ended up getting front mount

most welding supply stores have low temperature aluminum "welding" rods----using a propane torch you can use them like solder-------they flow easy and are just the ticket for permanent repairs in things like alum radiators, intercoolers etc-------i have fixed several such things including alum AC lines-----would take a little patience to do all those small holes in your intercooler------i have seem some just like it------and only on "northern" cars-------i believe its due to corrosion under the paint probably from salt..........RC

Is this what you meant? YouTube - Durafix Aluminum Welding Rods Looks pretty cool, I may give it a try.