Interior rattle found and fixed - third brake light

Silver Fox

I just wanted to share this with you all. For years, I have had what I thought was some sort of interior rattle either from the rear seat area or trunk area. I pulled the rear seat out, sail panels out, took everything out of the trunk and could never find it. It was mainly rattling during the "drone" rpm range, but would sometime rattle over rougher roads. I can't stand rattles in any of my cars.

My wife and son were with me the other day and I said something about the rattle and my son tells me it's coming from the third brake light area.

When I got home, I pulled the third brake light assembly apart. There is a metal heat shield on the inside of the top most piece. I guess it is designed to keep the third brake light from heating up the plastic. It appears the factory attached the heat shield by heating up the plastic (or the metal) and pressing them together. It turns out the plastic "weld" had let go on one side allowing this heat shield to vibrate.

I used a bit of glue and glued the heat shield back on, and the rattle is gone. It's very nice to drive a 24 year old with absolutely no rattles!!!

I searched to see if anyone else ever commented on this issue, and could not find any posts. So I figure I would post it and perhaps save somebody a little but of troubleshooting.

Rob