Intrepid Fans VS LS1 Fans

87chrisss

BLUBYU
I'm making this thread to document which are the best dual fan setup for our car's that are available thru donor car's this has nothing to do with SPAL fans or any aftermarket fan assembly.

The two top of my list are the 2004 Intrepid Fan's and a 2001 LS1 Camaro Fan's. I have ran both in the past, and from my experience the LS1 fans were the better choice regarding fitment and fan shroud just overall seemed better.

Some internet sites claim the intrepid fans flow over 3200 CFM's at high speed some claim 3800 CFM's.

As for the LS1 Fan's some claim over 3200 CFM's and some claim 4200 CFM's when both fans on at high speed.

Im not too sure how to accurately test the CFM ratings but we can do an overall assessment on fit, dimensions and ease of installation.

For both fans i have purchased Casper's PNP harness i wouldn't do it any other way, the quality and product is the best on the market. Pics Below

I will include part #'s and the cheapest place to buy the fan's and the harness kits from Casper's as well.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/2004/Dodge/Intrepid/RadiatorFanAssemblies/AM-16779959/189097.html

http://www.am-autoparts.com/2001/Chevy/Camaro/RadiatorFanAssemblies/AM-38418037/342793.html

Attachments

• CAM00510.jpg
    CAM00510.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 419
  • CAM00511.jpg
    CAM00511.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 405
First up LS1 fans, Dimensions are as follows Length , Width , Height,

27" Long End to end this is with tabs,
4.5" Wide from shroud end, to end of motor assembly
18" Height

Attachments

• CAM00512.jpg
    CAM00512.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 469
  • CAM00514.jpg
    CAM00514.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 413
  • CAM00513.jpg
    CAM00513.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 384
Intrepid Fans,

28" long end to end maybe a bit more this is with the end tabs still intact
3" Wide
15" Height

Attachments

• CAM00516.jpg
    CAM00516.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 397
  • CAM00518.jpg
    CAM00518.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 379
  • CAM00517.jpg
    CAM00517.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 384
The big difference right off the bat is shroud difference, The LS1 assembly seems more like a aftermarket assembly with the shroud covering up most of the radiator.

The Intrepid fan seem's open without much shroud if any at all. The Intrepid fan blades are longer and definitely bigger in size.

The final difference is the LS1 fan motors are slightly offset one higher and the other lower. Compared to the Intrepid fans which are parallel to each other.

Got a bit late on me today so i will fit each one tomorrow and test best fit and how both do on a stock radiator in Miami heat.

Nice test. I'm interested in the results. Picked a good week for it too, hot as heck this week.

I have one from my C5 and looks similar to yours from the LS1. I tried it out but seemed to tight. It might work with some adjustments and patience but I got to lazy lol. Good test! And your right the heat here is horrible.

Early ford Taurus with 3.8
Pull a bit over 4000 cfm
( gonna try it on new build)
Single blade fan !
I run the intrepid and ls1 fans
On each of my cars

Great Wright up chris keep
Keep the pics and details coming

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Its been AFRICA HOT down here in florida the last few days and my car has never gone over 175 even in traffic. I am running a f-body radiator with intrepid fans, a 160 thermostat, royal purple coolant additive. no issues ever with the cooling temps.

Its very funny that I stumble on this thread after I have been to the junkyard to score a couple of fan assemblies from the lh platform Chrysler/Dodge(98-up).

I got one set for a friend and another for my 86 gn...

But anyhow I did some testing on them

The very interesting thing about these fans is the way they are wired.

The motors are wired in a way that there is 2 windings using a common stator/shaft. So when you apply 12v on one of the 12v wires (green or yellow) you get low speed from both motors. When you power both 12v wires (green and yellow) you get high speed.

I took the time to measure the amount of current draw the units use during start up and steady state running.

The low speed start up current is 42 amps.........The steady state current is 16 amps

The high speed start-up current is 53 amps .........The steady state current is 18.5-19 amps.

The battery voltage is 12.7 volts.

So the current usage with go up as the voltage goes up...But the motor output with also go up meaning more air flow!!!!!!!

Hope this is some useful info

Last edited:
This is a great thread! I need to swap my factory fan out for electric ones as well! I have the fbody radiator in my car so I hope either of these options will work for me.

I'm curious to see if anyone is running this kind if combo with a front mount and what coolant temps look like....

I'm curious to see if anyone is running this kind if combo with a front mount and what coolant temps look like....
I can't tell you about these fans - i have two SPALs on my car with a front mount and it has been horrible here in St. Louis.. like High 90's - 100 with HIGH humidity and my car stays around 175ish - i don't have air though…… so i am very curious to see how the LS1 fans compare. Can you read on the fans and see who the manufacturer is of the LS1 fans are? I believe the Intrepid Fans are Valeos but not sure.

aaron

I've seen 2 different fan setups for Intrepids, one is a 5 blade and one is a 6 blade. Spoke to some guys at salvage yards and they said that the 6 blade are heavy duty fans. Ive been looking on E bay and Amazon for new Intrepid fans, one of mine has a bearing going out in the motor. Does anyone know if the fans' housing dimensions are the same as the 5 blade. I would like to step up to the 6 blade, possibly. Really don't know which way to go for sure. The 5 blade seems to do well with PTE front mount, temps stay around 170, temps go up to around 190 after making a hit. Probably going to just order the 5 blades and be done with it, I know they fit.

Just finished cust car
Added ls1 fans
Front mount . A/c . 160 stat
A rebuilt stock gn radiator
She runs 172-178 air on
After a blast or two
180-185
All this on a low 10's car
Ill post pics of fitment shortly
And all mods to make it fit