Intrested in going E-85 - Help with question!

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
Well first of all before people tell me to read, Iv'e been on here well over two hours reading stuff and writing notes.

My question is on the turbo size! (TE-44) I looked for people that had a similar set up but seen mostly larger turbo's.

With my (TE-44) turbo I would just like to run 22lbs on the street. WOULD 60lb INJECTORS WORK for that size turbo & boost? I know I have some engine work done but not exact on the cam specs or the porting of the heads.

Would I be okay with my injectors by going 50/50 (93/e-85)?? Just looking to go from 15lbs to 20lbs!!

Here is my set up:
Turbo: TE-44
Injectors: 55lb
Fuel pump: Walbro 340m
Hot wire kit
Converter: 2800
D/P: 3"
Exhaust: ATR 3"
G-body S.L.I.C
has a cam (specs unknown)
Carrilo rods
J/E forged pistons

From what iv'e read already it looks like all i'm going to need is LARGER INJ, TT chip. RIGHT?

Scot W.

There are 79lb High Z's out so if you're interested in running straight E85 talk to Eric at TT and see what he says.

With how the Walbro's have been acting up lately, I wouldn't trust it running E85 considering it needs about 30% more volume. Keep an eye on your FP at WOT regardless.

Well after doing research and the cost of to make the switch over is the same if not more than just buying a ALKY kit! So i'll just be going to the ALKY kit and be done with it!!

I won't have to change a thing with the alky kit and my IDC will even go down with the kit @ 20 + lbs of boost..

$469 for racetronix injectors
$150-179 for a racetronix OR red's XP fuel pump
Then trying to find available gas stations where ever you go.
Not to mention the loss in mileage..

NOPE! Not for me! Add ALKY kit = DONE!! ;)

Scot W.

I think you may be looking a little too much into the reading. If you really would like a little opinionated info, contact OneFastGn before you spend the money on that alky kit. Tony was going to go the Alky route as well and decided to spend the $350 on a set of 60lb injectors and $85 for a TT chip. He said it was the very best and most noticeable mod he had ever done to either of his GN's. He figured the car ran in the mid 11's compared to the people he street raced against. Pretty good mod for not having to chage a darn thing and turning the boost up to 21psi. And he didnt have to worry about an alky pump failing, extra jugs for coolant, extra wiring, alky lines, alky control switches, etc. He's now going to go with a modded ECM and 83's. Then he'll just send his chip back in to Eric and have it re-burned for free. He runs stock fuel lines and a Walboro pump. Stock replacement filter too.

Hi Scott,
Just like what Jermey said it was a super easy change over. I got the Injectors and TT chip for under $400.00 buck and all i have to do is pump E-85 and turned up the boost to 24 psi plus and no knock at all. I don't have to worry about anything else for as long as i run it......And it's cheap race fuel,$2.35 gal here. Never foul out an 02 sensor, never have to get alky, never have to worry about a pump going out under high boost. There is just to many variables that could go wrong over the cost of just running E-85. I know for a fact that my car is running well into the mid 11's on my combo, that is similar to yours, and that was on a stock convertor. Just sell your old set up and it won't cost you much to change over. You won't be sorry. I'm going bigger because i want to run low 11's to high 10's. Good luck, i just wanted you to know before possibly going the wrong route. just my .02 cents

Scott, another thing, get rid of those SouthSide bars before they trash your frame or rear end man! Those things have thrashed the mounting holes in every car I have ever seen with them installed. It's a real pain in the bals to fix too.

Jeremy the lower bars are off and replaced with boxed orriginals. I left the top ones but they should be fine.

As far as the gas stations go in my area (thats fine and dandy) BUT it's the gas stations located on a trip that i'm worried about.

PS: I just would like to go from my 15lbs boost now TO 20-22lbs on the street.

So what size injectors would I need to just move up 5-7lbs in boost?

And I have a TT chip in it right now, Can it be sent in and re-figured cheaper than a new chip?

BTW: Thanks for the help guys!!
Scot W.

Scot W.

BTW, you'd be able to run more boost with E85 vs alky kit and 93 octane, E85 will act like 110 octane.

You can print out all the E85 stations in America so when you take a trip you can just plot them out. The Midwest has a lot of stations and it's growing every year. :cool:

BTW, you'd be able to run more boost with E85 vs alky kit and 93 octane, E85 will act like 110 octane.

You can print out all the E85 stations in America so when you take a trip you can just plot them out. The Midwest has a lot of stations and it's growing every year. :cool:
come to MN- it seems like every small town has an E85 pump. i live in a town of 500 people, and they have a blender pump at the local Cenex- you get to choose E10, E20, E30, E50, and E85. this is good if running straight E85 doesn't work for you for whatever reason...

Jeremy the lower bars are off and replaced with boxed orriginals. I left the top ones but they should be fine.

As far as the gas stations go in my area (thats fine and dandy) BUT it's the gas stations located on a trip that i'm worried about.

PS: I just would like to go from my 15lbs boost now TO 20-22lbs on the street.

So what size injectors would I need to just move up 5-7lbs in boost?

And I have a TT chip in it right now, Can it be sent in and re-figured cheaper than a new chip?

BTW: Thanks for the help guys!!
Scot W.

Scot W.

Scott, if you bought it from Eric, I'm sure he will take care of re-doing the chip for the cost of shipping. If you plan to run 22 psi, go with the 60's at first then move up as you go. If you have to eventually get a modded ECM, OneFastGN knows of a guy in Michigan that mods them for i believe $150. Then you can run whatever injector you want. Once you start making more and more power, you'll want to eventually upgrade your fuel system. I know it's just an opinion but I would never take a chance with the Alky, even though many guys love them. Just seems more of a fail safe way to go to me. BTW, you should be fine leaving those uppers in there!!!! Good luck! -----Jeremy

Scott,
If you just do a basic search on E-85 gas stations for your zip code it will bring up all the stations that carry E-85 in your area. Soon all Wal-marts and Sam's club will have them installed, i think thay have made a deal with the companys.

You should be fine with 60 lb injectors. I have a TE44 and 50 lb injectors on e85 without any knock issues. Eric at TT claims that 50 lb injectors should be good to 11.80 and 60's to 11.30.

The car has already been 115mph on 18lbs boost with a horrible 60'

I'm running 15lbs now but would like to be at 20lbs.

I'll look into the 60lb injectors, Iv'e had them before and loved them!

Scot W.

Scott, Don't make it that hard. I have 55s and e-85
several 20+ runs, no knock watch DC and let her fly.:)
After several trials I went with mix 50/50 O problems.

Now I am putting 95ers in because 20 is fine around town but.......

Scott, Don't make it that hard. I have 55s and e-85
several 20+ runs, no knock watch DC and let her fly.:)
After several trials I went with mix 50/50 O problems.

Now I am putting 95ers in because 20 is fine around town but.......
Sent you a PM.. :)

Scot W.