Is it Crazy to Run TA Heads with the following?

tobuyitright

I just made a deal to purchase a set of new TA performace aluminum heads and roller rocker 1.65 from a fellow board member. Heres my question. I am gathering parts for my winter project. Have in boxes ready for install, walbro pump, hot wire, PTE front mount intercooler, new TE60 turbo, TA SE Heads probably need to think about a cam or may not depending on board opinions cam i could use some help with.... but short block is stock. I have to get some injectors as soon as I can figure out how or what is needed to get the fuel management system where it needs to be.

Ok here is the questions I have, Im buying the heads, to long term use them on my stage II block. However, I am planning that for a year or two down the road, for now want to see how well I can get the 3.8 to work for me. Am I CRAZY for putting these heads on a stock bottom end, motor only have 30k on the clock. Thanks for your opinions. Scott

P.S. I am trying to get the car into the 11s safely! (With this 3.8)

I say bolt them on and crank it up. Throw in a cam for sure. 206 roller. Dont go over .550 valve lift. Plan on buying a quality converter if you want to be able to really crank it up. You will need more than one pump

Bison im glad to see you on here tonight, Gooble gooble. Well I have alot of things to work out before I turn it up, I am try to work out this damn Haltech system and what is it going to work with. I am really looking at going back to a stock style set up.

I have a in line external pump already. I am wanting to be very careful to not blow this thing up!!!!

Can I get the .550 lift using the 1.65 rockers, that is what he is selling me with the heads but I am unsure what that will work with and not.

Another question is he bought them bare I will need to have valves etc up in. Who would you send them to? And would you port them?

Bison im glad to see you on here tonight, Gooble gooble. Well I have alot of things to work out before I turn it up, I am try to work out this damn Haltech system and what is it going to work with. I am really looking at going back to a stock style set up.

I have a in line external pump already. I am wanting to be very careful to not blow this thing up!!!!

Can I get the .550 lift using the 1.65 rockers, that is what he is selling me with the heads but I am unsure what that will work with and not.

Another question is he bought them bare I will need to have valves etc up in. Who would you send them to? And would you port them?
Id be wary of the inline setup. You need to verify pressure and volume before you really go crazy. Any machine shop with a good valve and seat cutter could do it.I wouldnt port until you are going to use them on the stage 2. For a hyd setup use comp 26120 springs installed at 1.84 and shoot for .550 total lift. You will need locators and keepers. You have to look at the various grinds available as far as cams go. Your looking for a .330-.335 lobe with 1.65's. If you were going to use more turbo id go with a 212/212@112. At this point i just look at the comp catalog and order my own lobes and LSA so be careful when ordering a cam from a vendor without telling them you are running 1.65's. Ask for specifics about the grind and post them here if your not sure. Before i bought another turbo or other performance parts id look into a good converter. PTC 9.5" is the way to go.

I will do just that, I bought the TE60 to get a new turbo with potential, but keep myself from going to fast with the limited knowledge I have at current, yes I do know that this turbo can get me into trouble as well, but I was going to go with heads on the 3.8 but was offered a deal on these TA that I could not refuse. Actually I wasnt going to even use TA but rather the Champions. But a good deal is a good deal! My plan is to get everything dialed in a get comfortable using the TE60 and then sell it to help fund a DBB 65 or 67 turbo. I have got to get this car back to a modern system, either by chip or XFI.

I will do just that, I bought the TE60 to get a new turbo with potential, but keep myself from going to fast with the limited knowledge I have at current, yes I do know that this turbo can get me into trouble as well, but I was going to go with heads on the 3.8 but was offered a deal on these TA that I could not refuse. Actually I wasnt going to even use TA but rather the Champions. But a good deal is a good deal! My plan is to get everything dialed in a get comfortable using the TE60 and then sell it to help fund a DBB 65 or 67 turbo. I have got to get this car back to a modern system, either by chip or XFI.
You will gain way more from a good converter than you will going with another turbo.

...............Who would you send them to? And would you port them?

No secrets in porting these heads, but we found porting the TA heads is "different" than porting Champions. Also, we have found different techniques are needed for early and late versions of the TA heads.

So bottom line is to have someone with experience do them for best flow at the best price. :)

Of course we have done many of these heads, some running into the 8's, and so has TA Performance.

I don't know...
You can easily run 11s safely with that turbo, intercooler and supporting mods. Why not put your bolt-ons and alky and tune it for 11s on a TT chip? No need to open the engine. Build your killer motor as time and money permits while you learn on the orginal. When your ready you can swap out your still good low mileage engine and save it, never know when it come in handy. Well, that's just my opinon but I'm no guru.....

I don't know...
You can easily run 11s safely with that turbo, intercooler and supporting mods. Why not put your bolt-ons and alky and tune it for 11s on a TT chip? No need to open the engine. Build your killer motor as time and money permits while you learn on the orginal. When your ready you can swap out your still good low mileage engine and save it, never know when it come in handy. Well, that's just my opinon but I'm no guru.....

+1

I don't think he will get the full flow potential out of though's T/A heads without turning up the rpm shift points.

I don't know...

With those heads on there it will run 11's on 93 octane and no alky with traction