Is that a BOV?? On a TTA???

GTABurnout

Yep thats right with out anyone from this board's help since you just flamed the hell out fo me. It is now don and I am happy wihit I no longer feel bad when I get out of it fast.

The piping isn't finished yet I hope to either chrome dip it of paint it black. Well heres the pics and have fun making fun...

HKS BOV

Don't hold back let me have it, also the car is still slow...

Hey if its what you wanted to do then thats cool.

Just understand it makes no difference what so ever :) Figure there was about 40K Buicks/TTAs between 86-87/89 and at least 1/2 those cars have rolled 100K miles and nobody is complaining of Turbo Failure.

Some are just stuck in their ways.....best taken with a grain of salt. One thing I hope you did was research BOV's. Our cars are MAF and many BOV's vent to atmosphere (i believe your does). This does not work, you must use a BOV that has the ability to route air BACK into MAF pipe. The car will stumble and stall at everystop light if you are venting to atmos. Let me know how it goes.

THREE CHEERS!!

Originally posted by GTABurnout

Yep thats right with out anyone from this board's help since you just flamed the hell out of me.

It is now done and I am happy with it.

I no longer feel bad when I get out of it fast.

Bro, that's all that matters! :)

If you're happy (and you are), that's great!

You picked the HKS SSQ...a VERY nice unit!
=======================================
It's amazingly amusing to see people with thousand-dollar plus FM intercoolers that are not fast enough to honestly "need" one go "nuts" when someone else wants to run a 200.00 BOV!

LOL! :)

Originally posted by SHRPTTA
HUNTER did you take the chrome off the up pipe??????

no diffrent pipe the other one is safe
I did for test reasons only, I will chrome the pipe or figure something else out later this is just for now.

I believ people are confused about the maf thing car runs fine never has stalled at any lights and has zero problems, it does have the option toi be routed back in to the system if needed though.

Hunter, if you plan on keeping it which I think you will, I would recomend some mandrel bent tubing instead of that crimped stuff that is on there now, then have it chromed or made to look pretty.

Originally posted by 1badTTA
Hunter, if you plan on keeping it which I think you will, I would recomend some mandrel bent tubing instead of that crimped stuff that is on there now, then have it chromed or made to look pretty.
agreed...

If it makes ya happy..be happy :D

I just look at it as one more thing that can give grief...and interfere with maintenance.. I dont think it will slow you down..unless the weld cracks, BOV stays open, etc..

Its a best case, worst case..a lot more of worst case than best case..only time will tell.

Originally posted by Razor
Its a best case, worst case..a lot more of worst case than best case..only time will tell.

Well
I would rather be able to get out of it fast with out pushing att my BOOST back through the Turbo the wrong way.

It seems like a lot of the Turbo Buick guys are stuck back in 87 as far as Turbo technology and other "new" stuff is concerned. For crying out loud we still use a friging 3 bolt turbo...

Well
I would rather be able to get out of it fast with out pushing att my BOOST back through the Turbo the wrong way.

It seems like a lot of the Turbo Buick guys are stuck back in 87 as far as Turbo technology and other "new" stuff is concerned. For crying out loud we still use a friging 3 bolt turbo...

The reason we are still using old technology is because it works! Why change because there is something newer? None of the new Turbo cars go as fast with as little money.

BOVs, Turbo Timers etc are useless for a GN/TTA, if they were needed we would be seeing tons of turbo failuers and this just isn't true.

Why change from a 3 bolt Turbo? You can make enough power with an "Old Technology" 3 bolt turbo to blow a stock motor to pieces.

Put the Sport Compact back on the shelf! ; Your not driving a Honda!

> It seems like a lot of the Turbo Buick guys are stuck back in 87 >as far as Turbo technology

No offense intended, but my experience has been exactly the opposite. The TR guys are always upgrading their turbos and the turbo market has never been healthier. Precision, Turbonetics and others are constantly creating new wheels, new housing and new combo's.

Perhaps the TR people upgrade so often because they have a really decent foundation right out of the box. So they don't have to plow money into other stuff.

The only area where we might be "stuck" is in the ECM, but people are really pushing the envelop. Look at the max effort stuff, especially the new mafless one. Who would have thought that possible even 5 years ago?
I hate to even suggest what that mad genius Bruce Plecan is doing!

There are great chips now for 55lb injectors. Get a used ECM, get the drivers mod done, and crank up the boost. Again, who would have thought you could run 55lb injectors on the street so easily just a few years ago?

I expect to live to see the day where a cheap plug and play DFI or ECM replacement is made by someone.

BTW - I had a BOV on my car. There are no drivability issues with these things when done right. Personally I was concerned about turbo sneeze. But I removed it....... and one of the reasons was that statistically, from 10+ years on the gnttype list I never once heard of a failure from sneezing. I sold it to a guy who was having good luck with it, so to each his/her own!

Peace!

previous comment was directed to the communitity as a whole. True Everyone is very helpful in this community and for that I am pleased. But in reality when you look at a Supra or even a well done Turbo Mustang they are using bigger quicker spooling turbos, IE: water cooled Ball Bearing Turbos, And all sors of trick stuff, I am more then happy to follow what other people in the Turbo Buick community have done but as soon as I learn some more I may begin the venture out toward some diffrenent things, Starting with a BOV.

Originally posted by TTA89
Put the Sport Compact back on the shelf! ; Your not driving a Honda!

I some how missed this post but you my friend are one of the reasons that there is a lack of younger kids driving Turbo Buicks. This car has nothing if it loses the support of young people. Young people who thrive to have the fastest car, the best handling. Or being able to drive thier 10 sec car the strip with the AC on and click of consistant 10's all night then drive home.

Thats what its all about to me I could care less what 90% of people thing if I did I would have bought a Supra or LS1.

If it works good improve apon it don't be content with whats out there. And for crying out loud open you minds up to the possability of something diffrent working well, or god forbid, dare I say it...

BETTER

I know its hard to beileve but maybe ther is some thing out there that will work better...

I some how missed this post but you my friend are one of the reasons that there is a lack of younger kids driving Turbo Buicks. This car has nothing if it loses the support of young people. Young people who thrive to have the fastest car, the best handling. Or being able to drive thier 10 sec car the strip with the AC on and click of consistant 10's all night then drive home.

KIDS DON'T HAVE MONEY!!!! Kids are part of the reason the Buick hobby is dying. KIDS don't have 15K to dump into a car that was built when they were 3 years old to "Run 10s with the A/C on and drive home" Thats about what it costs to do it reliably. Spending 15K on the car keeps vendors in buisness, with nobody buying parts the vendors go out and the rest follows.

Parts are scarce, Kids get hold of these cars and have no idea what they are doing. They install parts that cause more harm than good and end up blowing up valuable parts or wrecking the cars. "I don't wanna run racegas, let me just turn up the boost" :rolleyes:

KIDS don't listen!!!! I could tell you how to put your car into the 11s for $1000 dollars. Do I think you would listen? No... I have been there and done it and I am handing you the simplest recipe to run 11s and your off buying Blow off valves. :rolleyes:

Thats what its all about to me I could care less what 90% of people thing if I did I would have bought a Supra or LS1.

If it works good improve apon it don't be content with whats out there. And for crying out loud open you minds up to the possability of something diffrent working well, or god forbid, dare I say it...

BETTER

I know its hard to beileve but maybe ther is some thing out there that will work better...

Sigh... Here is the problem yet again. You are trying to re-invent the wheel. For everything that you try someone else in the last 15 years has tried and blown up 100 times. There are people out there willing to tell you EXACTLY how to run 12.5, 12.0, 11.5, 11.0, 10.5. Whatever you want and EXACTLY how to do it so that YOU don't make the same mistakes buying parts that don't work and wasting your money and time.

Instead your off installing parts to cure something that has shown to NEVER be a problem with a Buick powered street car! :rolleyes:

previous comment was directed to the communitity as a whole. True Everyone is very helpful in this community and for that I am pleased. But in reality when you look at a Supra or even a well done Turbo Mustang they are using bigger quicker spooling turbos, IE: water cooled Ball Bearing Turbos, And all sors of trick stuff, I am more then happy to follow what other people in the Turbo Buick community have done but as soon as I learn some more I may begin the venture out toward some diffrenent things, Starting with a BOV. [/QUOTE

Maybe you need to take another look at what the Buick guys are running. I have an Innovative GT66 Dual Ball Bearing blah blah blah Turbo. Wanna know why most Buick guys don't run them? Cause they cost $2000 dollars!!! Most guys want or have a High 11/Low 12 second Buick and you know what, you only need a small $700-$800 dollar turbo to do that. So why waste your money on Watercooled Turbos? The cars your talking about are making 800hp, those are racecars not street cars.

Fast Spooling... Heh ever driven a Single Turbo Supra? LAAAAAAAAAAAAAG then around 3500-4000 it starts to spool. Hardly fast, in a Buick you would be so far ahead he better have 800hp to catch you.

Like I said before, everything your thinking of doing someone else has tried before.

Whats next on the list? Maybe spray the IC with Nitrous? :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be an Azzhole, I am trying to explain that YOUR DOING IT WRONG!!! It's your car, but I hate when I go to the track and see Buicks running 14s with 11 Seconds worth of parts and stuff you don't need on them. Its embarassing...

>Turbo Mustang they are using bigger quicker spooling turbos, >IE: water cooled Ball Bearing Turbos

Actually, Jack Cotton was one of the first vendors with the
ball-bearing turbo's from Turbonetics. Jack, per his usual professional self, did not push these as the be-all-end-all solution as some vendors might, but simply said where and how he thought they were good for.

Ironically many of the Buick community busted 'em on him. But the fact is that he brought a newer product to the community and left it to their choice.

I just sold my turbo and I am in the ball-bearing or not dlimena. Because as Mike said, it comes down to money and a $1,200 difference is A LOT of money to me!

Well

Whats wrong with a 3 bolt housing? Whats wrong with letting of the throttle really fast?..been doing it for years and zero damages to any engine component..as a matter of fact my car has over 500 track passes, a bazillion street/highway passes..never has my motor been opened up..and I have "owned" plenty of High dollar cars you speak off at the track and on the highway....You name it..I've smoked it.

The problem this post has.. see a great percentage of us here want to enhance performance..I put this widget and did a back to back test at the track..car picked up .15 and 1 MPH..excellent..that is the stuff we "racers" want to hear..Not the I put on a new exhuast tip, wing, carbon fiber steering wheel, and a glimmering DISCO ball :D that has zero for performance. Turbo timers, BOV, folgers can mufflers, 3 tier wings, all these things gain ZERO..cept support the Japanese companies that make them.

Whats next..an electric supercharger to feed the turbo :D

There is plenty of technology left that hasnt been touched with our cars..and its in the electronics..The engine parts..very little here..and the limitation is not in the turbo or its housing. 109 Block has a 600-700 HP limit typically..3 bolt housing will outdo that power level. So why get a 4 bolt or bigger on a low reving motor?

Lastly..this is the why..the more mods a car has, the more stuff to keep an eye on. The original GM stuff is bulletproof in almost all categories..just keep adding stuff to the car..it will run 13's and never get out..So next time you go to the track with your modded car and run 13's..think of me
:eek:

Going to run mid 11's tonite at the track on a stock motor with no BOV ;)

Wow I must have tapped in to some hidden anger towards younger Turbo Buick owners. To be honest kids do have the money to buy Turbo Buicks. They spend about 10,000 in a used honda then at least 5k getting it to run 15's. Why because they can. Most of tghe kids I hang out with have spent ove 20k on just their car (LS1). Looks to me peoplke ar not going toward Turbo Buicks be cause the are seen as an old mans car. I clearly don't believe that I bought on after my first ride in one.

Trust me I am trying to get my car in to the 11's soon and yes that $200 I used for a BOV could have been used on something else, but it wasn't. To late now I gave something a try that I wanted to do.

The reason you go to the track and see 14 sec cars with 11 sec mods is the huge tunning curve. Also the fear of blowing up my only car keeps me from Boosting to the moon which is what most recipes ask for.

My cars object is to be a mid to low 11 sec car that is realible and confortable on the street. I don't want a 10 sec bucket that is on the ragged edge all the time, blows head gaskets and requires C-16 just to run right on the street.

Hey to each is own and if I wanted to be like everyone else I would have bought a LS1 and just did heads and cam and called it a day.

rust me my car will be a low 11 sec car soon but if I will get there like everone else did??

Who knows...
I will tell you that for sure people will be proud of my car....

I know I already am...

> Looks to me peoplke ar not going toward Turbo Buicks be >cause the are seen as an old mans car

I own a GN (and TTA) and could not agree with this statement more!

My girlfriend's almost 18 yeard old son thinks my GN is "cool", but has absolutely no desire to buy a mid-80's "box car" and already wasted his money on a beat-up Accura Integra. They ARE old man's cars to a lot of people and not just younger ones.

When I seen my GN is the parking lot, it DOES look dated. That doesn't mean I don't like it, but YES, it looks like an OLD car.

Do fuzzy dice look more or less stupid than the mirror ball?
Depends on who is looking, right? :)

Hey, every generation has what they like and they think is cool. This is their time, their life and their choice. Thank God we live in a country where we HAVE one!

BTW - there are some 60's cars in 2fast 2furious again... (2 much for me!)

No hidden anger..nothing against a "younger" crowd..when I reply..I dont care how old you are..And my reply is not angry..no capital letters or nonsense...

Heads and Cam on an LS1 wont get you mid 11's..unless you use nitrous..and its never "just" heads and cam..What about the rear, headers, programming,yada yada yada

And yes the 14 second car with 11 second parts tune deal has a lot of merit..and I'll repeat myself politely .. the more mods and crap you throw at these cars..if not checked..the slower they go...seen it many many many times..that BOV if it ever interferes with your "tune" for whatever the reason..you'll curse the day you installed it. Remember..these cars work on MAF..any airleak thats unaccounted for in the air tract..anywhere..will cuase problems..PCV, vacuum hose, gasket, etc..That BOV leaks through its seal..you pop another headgasket.

Cheers..there is a reason for everything..

Be proud you own one of these cars..learn from those that have stepped on the landmines..take their wisdom and improve upon it.

I have and continue to do so..running a car in the mid 11's on 93 octane with enhancer(alky) was unheard of..till recently.