Is the 96 Impala SS the new GN?

why hell no ... no doubt the 96 SS impala will be worth some money clean low miles an no mods. Its still not a GN or will ever have the rep. Its a cruiser

I have a 86 GN and a 95 SS...Its not as sought after as the 96 due to not having analog dash and shifter in the floor but I can say without a doubt NO.
I love my SS, but what seperate the two is how much faster you can make a GN with hardly any modifications. That will always seperate the two. They did not make the SS a car that can unleash power with simple classy mods. It was fast for the year and weight but not feared by todays standards....They do make a great team though:D

I have a 86 GN and a 95 SS...Its not as sought after as the 96 due to not having analog dash and shifter in the floor but I can say without a doubt NO.
I love my SS, but what seperate the two is how much faster you can make a GN with hardly any modifications. That will always seperate the two. They did not make the SS a car that can unleash power with simple classy mods. It was fast for the year and weight but not feared by todays standards....They do make a great team though:D

I had a 96 and it was not fast for me, top it out at 145 and it took awhile to get there...later trade it in for a truck...i just bought the car for looks :redface:

are you kidding

If you want to know the truth I, oh my god that avitar for gone in sixty made me lose my thought I was thinking about...oh my god that @ss is on fire sorry guys i cant think straight right now. gotta go

throw the same amount of wisely spent money at an Impala SS as you throw at a GN, and it will wake right up.. keep in mind that when you get past the front mounted distributor and reverse flow cooling, and you are dealing with a regular old small block Chevy.
bolt on some headers and exhaust, 3.73 gears, and the HOT cam kit from GM and you'll have one hell of a beast that is still as docile and civilized as a stocker- with 2 more doors than a GN.
in my mind, neither is better than the other- they are two different cars that serve different purposes to different people.

throw the same amount of wisely spent money at an Impala SS as you throw at a GN, and it will wake right up.. keep in mind that when you get past the front mounted distributor and reverse flow cooling, and you are dealing with a regular old small block Chevy.
bolt on some headers and exhaust, 3.73 gears, and the HOT cam kit from GM and you'll have one hell of a beast that is still as docile and civilized as a stocker- with 2 more doors than a GN.

I disagree due to me and a friend of mine both have the Impalas and the Turbo buicks and more money spent with less results with the Impala SS. With the upgrades you mentioned you will spend about 3k and run maybe, maybe 8.90-9.30's in the 8th...And mine ran 9.55 bone stock! Now change heads with the cam, exhasust, gears still very little pickup unless you take it too the level of the usual ground thumping SBC and then its not the cruiser it was meant to be. I do agree they are different cars and I love them both but if you spent money on your Impala first you would find yourself saying that damn for the same cash I could be flying in the Buick:biggrin:

I couldn't watch more than a minute of that fool. Plus too much cursing:frown:

"94,95 and 96...I hope I didn't confuse you with all those numbers"......confuse me. There were 3 numbers, for people who have more than a 6th grade education that really isn't confusing to them:cool:

idea

Put an LC2 in the 96 impala as well as the LT1 in the Buick. Spend the same amount on both and keep track of each mod as well as it's cost. Drive each one for 100K miles and see what the results are. Then report the findings.

I like an SS as well but no way, never ever, in one million years will it have the rep, the speed, bang for the buck and lengendary status of the TR period.;)

The video was a little grainy but was that Febus :biggrin:

Attachments

• icon_bong.gif
    icon_bong.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 248
throw the same amount of wisely spent money at an Impala SS as you throw at a GN, and it will wake right up..

NO way in hell is that goin to happen !! Granted it may wake the SS up BUT not up to Buicks!! My new TTA in 1989 had a chip, K&N, an M&H dots. New car with 300 miles on it.. 12.5s @ 105 ..
Sooooo.. I an goin to dig to see what the Chevy/Buick/Olds station wagons do at the drags. Should be interesting with a little Buick V6 Turbo pushing a tank :p

Attachments

• 100_1787.jpg
    100_1787.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 264
I dunno, Ive been in a stock SS, and for its size it hauled ass, then again it is more of a cruiser. But Im a B4B, so... anything is faster than my car :biggrin: