Is there any interest in an alternative to Champion CNC irons?

Intercooler

Would like to know if there is interest in CNC ported heads similar to Champions without all the extra cost of making the heads correct (valves, surfaced, springs, filled EGR, etc...)? Basically send your heads and have them CNC ported giving you the option of putting your own valve, spring, etc... type on? Is there more interest in something like this or what Champion has to offer for $1265? If I can get enough response to chance laying out my money in getting it going I have had discussions with a Ford Mustang racer (I know:D) that currently does Ford heads. The price will be <=$650.00 a set. The heads must be known good sets so a set isn't half done then a problem comes to the surface rendering all the time spent on it a loss (In other words send Junk Yard heads if you wish but have them checked prior!). The other option would be to do the CNC work then have them assembled with what you want which would be <=$1,050.00. What do most want?

nope no interest at all!

650 for CNC ported heads? that sounds pretty good to me, my heads are already done so I am not personally interested but lets crunch the numbers, 650 P&P I just recently had a friends heads redone at a very reputable reace shop here for 200, valve grind, seals, decked .002, they even played with the heads and hit a few areas he missed when he ported them so for 850 or so that makes spending 1200 with champion seam pretty silly, I would assume some flow numbers would be given for at least the mock-up set (if they are CNC they should all be real close), people love flow charts

as a business major I say go ahead make the program throw them on a few cars and test them, when people see the numbers they will come I really think champions are $$$ cause they are the only one out there offering what they do.

Guess what I need to know more than anything is if more people would be interested in just the heads CNC ported or would they want them ready to bolt on with everything done?

Pricing on "worked" heads seems to be varying lots? This is due to many options from port-matching to CNC worked. Also, seen it vary due to labor rates differing around the country.

Here is a description of what we have done and represenative prices:

Performance valve job, surface heads, check for cracks, glass bead, bronze guides, teflon seal machining - $225

Bowl work [machine done] and port match - $285

Parts - guides, soft plugs, teflon seals, springs - $120

These heads flow ~190 CFM on the intake.

So these heads come out at $630.

For new valves, add ~$200.

For full port job, add $200.

We have found the max flow on iron heads ~210 CFM on the intake side with new valves and max port. This compares to the same flow from Champions CNC iron heads.

It is hard to compare power/times from our desert tracks as we run with altitudes about 3000' in "good" weather. With this as as basis, the basic worked heads run low 11's on many local GN's.
The max heads run high 10's. The faster cars may have a bigger turbo and cam as well as a few other mods, but in both situations boost is kept at a modest level.

Ready to roll with customer's choice of components, hold the mayo.

I wish you & your bud well, Jesse! :)

Nick,

I take it this is hand porting? What kind of variation do you see from port to port or head set to head set?

So most want them ready to just bolt on. The easiest way is to just do the CNC work but if we do the whole thing the spring type can be owner specified as well as seal type, etc.. I think I will still have a couple of sets banged out and see if we can't improve upon the Champion numbers:D Wish I would have considered this before having mine hand ported recently. I will have flow numbers from them here shortly so the wheels just keep spinning:eek:

Looks like it will be a go. Anyone looking for the CNC work only? If so contact me, the first few will be cheaper. Everyone still rather have fully assembled?