Is this about right

athena24

Went to track for first time and ran a 12.8 with 60ft of 1.9 @106mph with 23lbs boost. No knock with 110 oct. My combo is rebuilt engine bored 30 over with poston mild cam, 3" poston down pipe no cat, te-44 turbo, rjc powerplate, hi volume oil pump, walbro 340 fuel pump, ajustable regulator,hotwire kit and e.t. micket streets,2800 stall coverter. Do I need to play with my chip? If so how up the timing and fuel is that how it works? Or do I need airbags if so can somesend some info on this?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

What injectors are you running and do you have any scantool data? You should be able to get another 3-4 tenths from tuning.

help

I'm running red stripe which I think they are 38# but what should I tune I do have a scanmaster?

Post your Scanmaster readings and what chip you have. Make sure you know what injectors you have and the chip matches them.

If you have a Turbo Tweak chip, find out what version it is. It should be right on the chip. It will have the boost level, and two spark advance numbers for 2nd and 3rd gear spark advance and version number. Once you know what version it is, go to Turbo Tweak's website and you will see how to change the parameters. Get a notebook to keep track of air temps, et, 60' and mph as well as any changes that you make to ANYTHING.

A simple rule of thumb is use as much boost with as much advance that you can with no knock. Try to keep the O2 in the upper 700mv.

The biggest issues in racing these cars is getting a 3700# car moving without spinning the tires. You may have to launch at 0# boost to get it to hook. I know it doesn't make sense, but you aren't moving forward when you are spinning your tires.

Work on that launch to get the 60' times down before you tweak anything.

help

Do I have to watch out for head gasket at high timing&boost? I can adjust the parameters it is the latest version about 6 months old. What can i do to improve my 60ft i was running about 20psi on et mt streets tires and no airbags.

detonation(knock) pops head gaskets not boost and timing. too much boost and timing can cause detonation though!

isnt the mph kinda low for 23 psi no knock?

help

Maybe mph are low but this is the first time me running 12 seconds on my buick I got down from 15 second car to a 12 second, but trying to find out whether I should be running lower than than and what should I look for? I still have stock exhaust is that whats holding me back?

You will be in the low 12's once you get it tuned properly. That exhaust is definitely holding you back. If you are in the market for a good exhaust system, try Summit. They have a Hooker 2.5" dual system that goes for $349. I've got one on my '87 Limited and am pretty happy with it.

If I were in your shoes, I would take it to the track as much as you can and have fun with it. Work on getting the 60' times down and your 1/4 mile times will drop dramatically.

Here is a link to that Hooker system.
Hooker Super Competition Cat-Back Exhaust Systems: HOK-16810HKR - summitracing.com

help

So what I need is an exhaust system and raise the boost up and timing on the chip till it starts to detenate?

The exhaust will definitely help, but the car isn't launching as well as it could. Each tenth you shave off of your 60' times equals between .50 and .70 reduction in 1/4 mile times !!! Your car is making the power to do a 12.50 without any changes, if you can get the 60' down to 1.74. That can be done by leaving at a lower boost level or going with wider tires. What size are your tires?

BTW, I wouldn't change anything as far as the boost or timing. Your car with that stock exhaust is like running a marathon with someone's hand covering your mouth and trying to exhale through your nose. If you make more power, there is nowhere for the additional spent exhaust gasses to go.

I gained 30 hp on the dyno just by taking my dump cap off. I have stock exhaust also. It's a huge power inhibitor if you motor can't breathe

if your still running the stock exhaust i would run that thing just out the downpipe till you get a exhaust that will flow. this will help you big time if your running it threw the stock system still.

My car had what appeared to be a Walker replacement exhaust- it split just after the test pipe into duals/w turbo mufflers. Went racing a couple weeks ago, hotter than H**L here in Texas. The car ran an embarassing 8.11 @ 87+ mph, w/21psi. I pulled the cap off the dump and the car went 7.66 @ 90.24, w/23 psi. I didn't reset the boost, the extra boost was a by-product of removing the cap. The following Monday I ordered a Hooker kit from Summit. Now my boost is 23 psi with the cap on and the Hooker kit. I haven't touched my RJC boost controller. Free up your exhaust, it will help for sure. Good luck

Went to track for first time and ran a 12.8 with 60ft of 1.9 @106mph with 23lbs boost. No knock with 110 oct. My combo is rebuilt engine bored 30 over with poston mild cam, 3" poston down pipe no cat, te-44 turbo, rjc powerplate, hi volume oil pump, walbro 340 fuel pump, ajustable regulator,hotwire kit and e.t. micket streets,2800 stall coverter. Do I need to play with my chip? If so how up the timing and fuel is that how it works? Or do I need airbags if so can somesend some info on this?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Back to the questions at hand..I run 117x sec w/ 1.9 alot. I ran a 12.56 @ 115mph I said where the *ell did the mph come from, Not hard to fig I checked my plugs and they were at .0035,0037 etc.In my sig.. I gained 1/2 a sec. I still cant get under 1,72 60' I don't know how these other guys are getting 1.6x. I'm running s-10 cylinders, organic rear shoes,,I don't know, I push through at 6-7 lbs boost will change my fronts to organic to and I have a Line lock of course. But I read guys hitting 1.6x. tell me how please. I have air bags,H&R Pro upper and lower and sway, SLICKS.. How the hell do you guys claim to hit 1.64 60 fts w/stock everything. Bull, Also drag shocks. Please Enlighten me to enlighten him, Please don;t state the obvious, I just said I build 6-7MAX and I push through on foot brake..I don;t have a Trans brake. sorry to seem to take the thread but everything is relevent.. Air bags at 7 and 7.5 etc etc. I just dont' get where guys are getting 1.6x 60 fts and 12sec 1/4s blows my mind. 'cause your missing in the midrange if you are.
thanks guys.

So what I need is an exhaust system and raise the boost up and timing on the chip till it starts to detenate?

Put in a dump if you don't already have one, I run my chip at/with 110 115 fuel overall and 134 timing in 3-4gear with no knock and A/f @ 11.5:1 44-45psi line off fuel.mv @ 780 +/-, stage first bulb bring up boost inch to second and try to time with flooring it to last bulb. this is with 24 lbs boost, I also have a meese pipe and RJC boost controller(boost is right now) I try to leave with as much boost as possible usually around 5-7+/- without pushing through. U time it right you get now hesitation(or turbo spool time) I'm all stock, motor internals have never been touched, any knock back off and find out why. HTH Anybody have any better suggestions on lowering 60 ft. I also run 26x9 Hoosior slicks. Sorry for venting earlier. I get so frustrated at my 60 ft.. and adding the H&R and airbags only gave me 1/2 a 10th. Biggest point is holding w/footbrake. guess I'll change the fronts to organics also., see if that helps. Course I want to be able to stop at the end of the run LOL. oh and I run NGK's UR5's @ .032 gap worked great, tried .028 think was to tight but not REAL noticable. Let Us now what comes about.:)

Back to the questions at hand..I run 117x sec w/ 1.9 alot. I ran a 12.56 @ 115mph I said where the *ell did the mph come from, Not hard to fig I checked my plugs and they were at .0035,0037 etc.In my sig.. I gained 1/2 a sec. I still cant get under 1,72 60' I don't know how these other guys are getting 1.6x. I'm running s-10 cylinders, organic rear shoes,,I don't know, I push through at 6-7 lbs boost will change my fronts to organic to and I have a Line lock of course. But I read guys hitting 1.6x. tell me how please. I have air bags,H&R Pro upper and lower and sway, SLICKS.. How the hell do you guys claim to hit 1.64 60 fts w/stock everything. Bull, Also drag shocks. Please Enlighten me to enlighten him, Please don;t state the obvious, I just said I build 6-7MAX and I push through on foot brake..I don;t have a Trans brake. sorry to seem to take the thread but everything is relevent.. Air bags at 7 and 7.5 etc etc. I just dont' get where guys are getting 1.6x 60 fts and 12sec 1/4s blows my mind. 'cause your missing in the midrange if you are.
thanks guys.

When i race my white limited, i dont sit on the boost for very long. It gets consistant 1.60 to 1.62 sixty foots with a airbag, ATR rear bar, and boxed upper and lower control arms. 28x9x15 et drags 12 psi cold

My silver limited was getting 1.58 and 1.59 with 2 airbags and zero other rear suspension mods 28x10.5 et drags I was using the ebrake since the car had a te44 and the stock torque convertor.

I really think the key is to leave at the highest boost without spinning and getting the car to spool as fast as possible.

On my white limited, it spools almost instantly, it will go floored off the footbrake from 0 to 14psi launch boost in just a few seconds. When i leave at 14psi, its still climbing skywards of 17+ im sure.

If your powermaster is not working correctly, get a rebuilt one, or one that will allow you to not push thru the lights. All turbo buicks that ive had will hold boost if you dont overheat the rear brakes for too long in a smokey burnout.

Also, last march at our shootout, my 60's started to drop off and i added 1-2 more degrees of timing in the lower gears. My sixty foot times dropped back down to normal and had a great time racing that day.

Take it easy
BW