Jacking and jack stands

Mike Mags

Where are the best spots to jack the car and also the correct spots to place the jack stands.?

Thanks

For jacking, the factory jack kicks ass when using the factory frame holes.

for jackstands: the best place for jackstands out back is under the axle. Up front there is really no good place that is 100% stable. The best place I've found is the front frame jacking holes (tough to do when you use the factory jack)

Just bought a hydaulic jack( the kind with wheels) Where should i place that? Behind th front wheels on the frame and in front of the rear wheels on the frame?

Those are the factory hardpoints on the frame. Using a small block of wood will keep the jack teeth from digging into the metal (if it has them)

per the factory manual, jacking under the large cross member at front, is OK.

I will typically jack up the front cross member with the hydraulic floor jack, then put jackstands under the side frames just rearward of the front wheels, where the frame is reinforced to prevent bending.

When removing the hydraulic jack from under the cross member, you will notice the whole front end may sag a bit (1/4" or so), when held up by the side frame alone.

When I have the car on jackstands for an extended period, I'll also keep a 3rd support under the cross member to prevent the frame from permanently deforming or taking a "set". I'll use either the floor jack or a bottle jack for this 3rd support. Since bottle jacks typically have a small point of contact, I'll use a block of wood to prevent frame damage.

Jacking up via the differential center section is also approved, although for extended periods I'd put jackstands under the outboard ends of axle tubes to prevent axle tube sagging/bending.

And NEVER rely on hydraulic jacks alone when working under a car!!

I have to say the factory jack on this car is the best factory jack I have ever used:) Almost as good as a hydraulic

Originally posted by tom h

When removing the hydraulic jack from under the cross member, you will notice the whole front end may sag a bit (1/4" or so), when held up by the side frame alone.

I used to think that's what was happening also (front sagging), until I stood back and watched what was really happening to the car when someone else let the jack down slowly.

It's not that the front of the car is sagging, what's happening is the car is teetering a little on the jack stands. That is to say, the engine weight causes the rear of the car to rise a little, causing the front to go a little lower even though it's on the stands.

Looks like the front is sagging, but it's not.

This may be a piece of useless information, but if you ever have to replace a fender it helps. You bolt the fender in place snugly but not tight. Then place your jack under the frame almost directly under the bottom of the fender. Simply jack the car up until the fender has a proper gap all the way up. Once it's where it needs to be, tighten the fender top and bottom and you're all set. I do attribute this to the frame bending slightly due to the weight of the engine, but it's probably within normal tolerances. I've done it on several cars and it works like a charm.