Jax Seat Covers Installation

bob86gn

Has anybody done a recover job on the front seats with the Jax covers. Starting tomorrow night and looking for any tips.

TIA,

Bob

I had a buddy who owns an upohlstery shop do mine for me. It looked pretty hard. I helped out a little bit. There are a lot of tips and tricks to doing it. It took him and another guy (with me helping) about four hours to do it.

I really can't pass anything on (can't explain) except if you can find a shop to do it, it is worth it.:confused:

Thanks Shawn. Like most projects I have started with a "I can do it. How hard can this be?" attitude. I'll post my results after I get into it.

After listening to them explain to me what needs to be done, I've decided to take my seats to a qualified upholstery shop to do the work.

Not hard at all. Really very simple. YOu need a set of Hog Ring pliers and rings that Paul sells as well. Ask him what to do, he'll explain it to you in depth. It's a tight fit when pulling the fabric over the cushon, especially the back part, be sure to roll it up then slide it down and not rip it when you are doing it.

It's pretty strong, so you'd have to pull super hard to actually rip it, but just something to be aware of.

The use of baby powder can also help ease installation. It would be wise of you to ensure that the foam underneath is in good condition prior to installation...otherwise you end up with a nice looking seat that feels like crap. Don't ask how I know.:(

Yea, I should have mentioned..dont' throw away that white, silk, fabric softener looking material under the seat cover. Without it you will never get the new covers over the foam. The foam is very "Grabby" and that makes the new covers slide over the foam easier.

Joe

ok, 1 more post to put me over the 200 limit :)..geez..some of you guys in the 1000s..have way too much time :)

What the heck are hog pliers? Thanks for the info guys. I will give Paul a call tomorrow.

Bob

Hog Ring Pliers. Used to put Hog rings in the noses of pigs, hog etc...

The upholstery hog ring pliers are basically the same. You take a hog ring, a piece of metal that's "U" shaped w/sharp ends and the pliers hold it, then when you crimp it, it closes the loop. It's used to attached the upholstery to the seat frame..when you see em' you'll know.

Joe

are these factory replica covers? if so what is the quality and how much are they?

Last time I talked w/Paul, he had 2 sets of the OEM material covers and THATS ALL. He may be out by now, I do not know. After that, there's only aftermarket fabric which is not the same but still better than the alternative..ripped seats.

I must have gotton those last two ;)

I just bought two complete sets about 4 weeks ago. $$$ :(

But I'm not taking any chances. Going to have a pro do the installation.

Say what you will about how easy or hard the job may be, but I have no desire to possibly ruin what may be the last OEM material available.

Did you buy frt and rears, Dave? Nice set huh? I had just done the fronts on my GN before selling it. They were very nice. It's amazing how much the orig. fade after 15 yrs even when you don' think they fade that bad. You put them near the new ones and are like WHOA...

Originally posted by jmidolo
Did you buy frt and rears, Dave? Nice set huh? I had just done the fronts on my GN before selling it. They were very nice. It's amazing how much the orig. fade after 15 yrs even when you don' think they fade that bad. You put them near the new ones and are like WHOA...

Yup, got two complete sets. $$$$ :(

I bought a complete set for my 86TT. I did the rear upper and lower, but the fronts are going to a shop.

Other than the top back rotting out from the sun, my originals are nearly perfect. I bought the new one's because I figured the fronts would look faded from the new backs. They don't so I'm sitting on new fronts that will stay in the bags until I wear out the originals.

I give the Jax's a B++. The cloth is correct, but one front back is not stitched perfectly straight (anal?). It's mainly at the bottom so I doubt it will show. The rear top doesn't have the seat belt loops and the vinyl sections are cloth.

No one would know if they didn't know what to look for.

But dang if he didn't nail the look....

TK

Around $700 for all eight pieces. This was the rarer 86 TT gray. The GN's are more common and cheaper.