Jeep steering shaft upgrade

katzukes

Hi all, I just finished installing a jeep shaft I purchased off of e-bay. Install went well but now my steering wheel is cocked 90 degrees to the left. The shaft has the cast ends on it. Can I just take the steering wheel off and reinstall, I'm thinking if I try to move the tie rod adjusters that would alter my lock to lock, or do I just have the wrong shaft.

you want the shaft with the steel ends
you cant do it at the steering wheel , most you could get is a spline or about 10 degrees +/-
you should be able to pull it off the steering box , turn the shaft and slide it back on

0717151341.jpg

you want the shaft with the steel ends
you cant do it at the steering wheel , most you could get is a spline or about 10 degrees +/-
you should be able to pull it off the steering box , turn the shaft and slide it back on

View attachment 264028
Just thinking if I pulled it off the steering box and spun it around, the steering wheel would be 90 degrees to the right, instead of 90 to the left. I'm gathering I just wasted money on the wrong shaft, hope not.

Thanks for all the help. I pulled the shaft off and was able to tap it back on the spline of the box. I originally lined up the flat spots on the shaft and stem together but after opening the shaft end up some I was able to get it on. I also tightened up the steering box so it's time for a test drive, hope it was worth all the effort.

Don't tighten up the box too much, or you'll have different issues. Remember, these are 30 year old cars:cool:

Yea i tightened the set screw down, then backed it out a quarter turn, it drove allot better than before, although i might back it off a tad more because the pump is whining a little now.