jfs manufacturing intake

Any pictures of your install? How does the car run now? How long did it take to install? What were your mods before the install? Glad that you got your car running. Keep us posted! :cool:

Im half way thru my install of the kit. Just waiting on shop to powdercoat my valve covers and intake gloss black.

How does it work compared to before ??

Can you give us a quick diag of the vac line routing ??? Not sure how im gonna do mine yet.....

Yes.....pics!!!!!

Give us some tips too on your install. As I say i'm mid-way thru.....

Modified intake

Do we need to reprogram the computer to elimate the EGR? I picked up a Max Effort 16 step chip with 50 lb. injectors and was wondering if I need to send it in to get reprogrammed for no EGR?

it was real easy installing the kit its basic only prob i ran into is with the tps sensor had to cut wires and redo for 8687 swap prob i have now is iac is not on tb so car wont idle by it self but throttle response is rediculous dont have camera to post pics yet will be gitting one soon.

Pics

Here are some pics of my painted intake and quickly thrown together setup on my driveway. This is the JS intake with 87 TB and TA33 with TA style inlet bell. Some port work done as well to take out the factory roughness from the runners and match up to the ported heads. Gasket / port matched to the fel-pro 1200's.

The intake is now on the car - but I ran into a problem with the bottom of the TB hitting the thermostat housing. Time to figure out a fix for that. I also notice that the aluminum accessory bracket (holds alt, A/C compressor etc) is directly in the way of where the pipe must travel to hook to the TB front after exiting the IC. I figure the sawzall will fix that.... :biggrin:

Attachments

• JS1.jpg
    JS1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 308
  • JS2.jpg
    JS2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 282
  • JS3.jpg
    JS3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 274
  • JS4.jpg
    JS4.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 263
  • JS5.jpg
    JS5.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 276
Modified intake

I just picked up the last piece needed for the intake swap, a front mounted intercooler. I ceramic coated the intake, picked up a new TA49 turbo, 50 lb. injectors, larger valves ported heads. I found the intercooler on Ebay and contacted the seller. He will sell us the complete kit for $660.00 plus shipping. Here are some of the details:
THIS IS A BRAND NEW CUSTOM HAND BUILT ALUMINUM FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER FOR ANY BUICK GRAND NATIONAL, TTYPE, OR REGAL WITH A 3.8 V6 TURBO. THIS INTERCOOLER COMES COMPLETE WITH ALL THE PIPES AND HARDWARE NEEDED TO PUT ON YOUR CAR TODAY! THE DIMENSIONS OF THIS INTERCOOLERS CORE ARE 22X11X3, AND FROM TANK TO TANK IS 27 INCHES IN TOTAL LENGTH. TUBE SIZES ARE ALL 2 1/2 INCHES IN DIAMETER AND ARE MANDREL BENT. THIS INTERCOOLER IS LIGHT WEIGHT AND GOOD FOR UP TO 800HP. WHEN PURCHASING PLEASE SPECIFY WHETHER YOU HAVE A STOCK OR AFTERMARKET THROTTLE BODY. ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT GN1PERFORMANCE@YAHOO.COM. PLEASE REMEMBER BUYER PAYS FOR ALL SHIPPING.

here are some pics of my home made JS intake. this thing takes some time to build! i have about 20 hrs in it total

Attachments

• 000_0623.jpg
    000_0623.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 000_0624.jpg
    000_0624.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 000_0622.jpg
    000_0622.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 242
That intercooler's a beautiful piece !

Does he have more then one ? Mr.Buick - did u receive it already ?
Just wondering how the piping matches up to our existing pipes...if
I was to get one I wouldnt wanna get into modifying any piping etc...

Says USA only.... :frown:

IAC problem and solution

Anyone who has this kit will prob also have a remote mount IAC block. The thing with this block is that you must find a vac source after the TB and another spot to hook the remaining line. PLUS you have to find a suitable spot to mount the IAC block too.

After much consideration I have decided to have a shop build me a new thermostat housing - or mod my existing one. The IAC can and will fit in the stock location on the bottom of the TB - BUT - you must mod the existing thermostat housing or fab up a new one. There is only 1 1/4" of space (height) for the new housing with the IAC in place.

It could be made from simple sheet metal with relative ease and some welding skills. Then you have to worry about the pipe that comes out of the one side of the stock housing and crosses over the top of it. No problem - thats why JS Manufacturing drilled and tapped a second hole beside your CTS (coolant temp sensor). Just get a hose barb to fit it and connect up the hose.

In my opinion this method saves a lot of hassle for the IAC and possible probs you may run into. You will need an IAC extend wire from Caspers though...

Any thoughts ???

See my pic for the idea and R+D :D

Attachments

• thermostat.JPG
    thermostat.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 434
Modified intake

Do we need to modify the computer chip for no EGR Valve or will the Caspers 8 step chip or any other modified chip work ok?

Good question...i'm just gonna fire mine up and see....
might get a code or two...

Hows the new IC ?

Anyone run into the turbo hoses problem yet ?

You need a reducer connection at the turbo...least I do with my TA33C.
2" to 1 1/2". They gave me a length of 1 1/2' hose...but you need to supply your own reducer for your specific turbo.

What did everyone else do ?

I ordered mine at Turbohoses.com

Modified intake

Check out ebay item # 4569691019 it is a 1985 Buick GN hot air motor with the largest intercooler tubes I have seen. He says that he used a champion style intake and heads to get a 87 style intake. Turbo is mounted in normal 85 position. The intercooler tubes have nice smooth mandrel bent curves, beautiful job. This is about what mine should look like except the diameter of the intercooler will be 2 1/2" Anyone know this guy?

Mr. Buick

Check out the post by Bot.
'85 intercooled pics'

Gotta be his car on ebay. The pics are the same.
Header wrap and red vac line going from wastegate
to under the compressor....plus red battery.