just bought a gt500

turboaaron

ok i'm a traitor. I went to the ford dealership a few weeks back thinking i'd buy a f150 supercrew for me and my dog and haulin stuff. I have a 98 jeep with the back seats out that is just fine for a dog/ around town beater, but whatever. Anyway the dealer offers me all the money for my 2006 mini GP, i mean all....even more than private sale. so i'm in. There's a super snake in the showroom and a not so appealling red gt500 outside. Drove the f150 ..cool. The place has a second location nearby and a white gt500 with blue stripes is in the showroom. OK i like this combo. So i bought it. With 290 miles it dynoed at 430hp 450tq. Added steeda intake/cai/maf and SCT tune supposedly worth 97hp. Car was way way quiet so added got magnaflow muffler delete set up....wow!! quiet at low rpms/cruising but get into it..LOUD. Anyway no times yet. Tires suck and these cars are crazy tireburners my gn would kill this car until i find traction. These cars are scary though,..... unlike my gn or 5.0, they feel fairly stable at speed, and before you realize it a roll from 60 race takes u to 130++!!. Raced a new grand sport corvette from 50 or so. WOW! killed him. again anyway no turbo buick but a pretty cool car.

ok i'm a traitor. I went to the ford dealership a few weeks back thinking i'd buy a f150 supercrew for me and my dog and haulin stuff. I have a 98 jeep with the back seats out that is just fine for a dog/ around town beater, but whatever. Anyway the dealer offers me all the money for my 2006 mini GP, i mean all....even more than private sale. so i'm in. There's a super snake in the showroom and a not so appealling red gt500 outside. Drove the f150 ..cool. The place has a second location nearby and a white gt500 with blue stripes is in the showroom. OK i like this combo. So i bought it. With 290 miles it dynoed at 430hp 450tq. Added steeda intake/cai/maf and SCT tune supposedly worth 97hp. Car was way way quiet so added got magnaflow muffler delete set up....wow!! quiet at low rpms/cruising but get into it..LOUD. Anyway no times yet. Tires suck and these cars are crazy tireburners my gn would kill this car until i find traction. These cars are scary though,..... unlike my gn or 5.0, they feel fairly stable at speed, and before you realize it a roll from 60 race takes u to 130++!!. Raced a new grand sport corvette from 50 or so. WOW! killed him. again anyway no turbo buick but a pretty cool car.

Those cars are monsters. My buddy/insurance agent has one that he did slicks and skinnies on and it's a high 11 car with no other mods. Congrats.

I really like the 2010 gt500 in white with blue. The 2010 looks great. Not sure what year you got.

In the MM & FF review of the 2010 GT500 they went 11.59.
These are amazing cars and it takes very little to really turn 'em on.

Congrats...

Blower pulley, overdrive crank pulley and tune and they wake up. We just had one at the shop day before yesterday we did.

Very interesting.

26x11.5-17 ET Streets and perfect the launch and shifts.

2010 Ford Shelby GT500 - Test Run Results - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Here's the car they tested.

mmfp_0910_01_z+2010_shelby_gt500+front_angle.jpg

2010 Shelby GT500 Scorecard
Run 60-Foot 1/4-Mile/MPH
1. 1.852 11.855/117.66
2. 1.850 11.784/118.93
3. 1.825 11.805/117.36
4. 1.778 11.592/118.45
5. 1.913 11.951/120.29*
* Run with stock tires; all other runs with 26x11.5x17-inch Mickey Thompson E.T. Streets.
Impressive.
Gotta watch for those on the street.

Patrick

I have been eyeing these things lately, unless something better comes along, in a few years I'm getting one. It would be cool if they made a lighter lower version. 2010 looks better than the 05-09s.

That car is the cheapest 500 hp car there is. A whole lot of bang for the buck.

And yeah its easy to tweak it to 700 hp real quick. Very difficult to beat for the price no doubt.

I love everything about those cars but one problem, too heavy. Same thing with the new Camaro and Challenger. Whats the point of 500hp, 4000# and low profile stiff sidewall tires ? Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang styling and motor I am just frustrated by Detroits inability to get it right.

I love everything about those cars but one problem, too heavy. Same thing with the new Camaro and Challenger. Whats the point of 500hp, 4000# and low profile stiff sidewall tires ? Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang styling and motor I am just frustrated by Detroits inability to get it right.

This is never going to change, unless Detroit comes up with new and lighter materials to build cars from.
The ever-increasing crash test requirements, emissions controls, and fuel economy standards require that cars be loaded with all kinds of extra stuff. The required door crash beams and the nine or more air bags in each vehicle add a ton of weight all by themselves.

Because it would cost too much.

They could make a 3,300 lb Camaro... but it would cost probably at least $10K more. I'm pretty damn happy to be able to buy a 426HP car... all 3,800lbs of it... for $31K.

"JUST BOUGHT A NEW" those are 4 words I will never get to say. :frown:

Boy your ride sounds FUN. Must be great to buy TURN KEY SPEED! ENJOY!

I think they could probably get the weight lower by 200 or so lbs, but not much more. I have a Ford catalog and they have an optional SC for the gt500 that makes 605 hp. 540 is stock.