Just changed rearend oil

baghouse

EZE
I just changed the oil in the rear end of my 87 GN. I used the Mobil 1 synthetic with the additive already in it. Ever since then, I think I "feel" something coming from the rearend when going around turns or snaking through parking lots. Did I just mess it up?

I made the mistake of using fluid that claimed it does not need any additional friction modifier and had similar results as you. Mine made noise and felt like clunks in the rear when backing out of the driveway making the turn into the street or sometimes when making u turns. I thought for sure the bearings or clutches were shot so I took the whole rear end apart to inspect for damage and even took the carrier to a driveline specialty shop to have it inspected and all checked out perfect. The guys at the driveline shop said they have seen many people have this same issue and adding friction modifier is the cure and it was for me as well. They recommended the Ford friction modifier.

If you look at the bottle of diff fluid it will say, "limited slip fluid FOR TOP OFF". You must add additional if complete fluid change.

I was going to change my diff fluid just because.

It seems like turning, even on just grass, it tries to lock. Is this normal? I asked the buddy who built the car, he said he last used mobil 1 with additive, and that it was like this before, and it didn't change anything.

Seems to be super grabby. Turning on the street is the same, not as bad as a spool, but not like most lsd's I have had before. Very little give.

I was going to change my diff fluid just because.

It seems like turning, even on just grass, it tries to lock. Is this normal? I asked the buddy who built the car, he said he last used mobil 1 with additive, and that it was like this before, and it didn't change anything.

Seems to be super grabby. Turning on the street is the same, not as bad as a spool, but not like most lsd's I have had before. Very little give.
Sounds like you need more additive. My car did the same when I changed the fluid and only added a 4 oz bottle of additive. Chattered bad after a few miles. Added a second bottle and all fixed. I believe GM recommended 8 oz in the manual.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk