Just made Gross Polluter

blckgnx

Older Member
Da--! Put on a new Cat, turned the TPS down to .34, put in the GAURANTEED TO PASS juice, one pint of methyl ethyl achol, got it fire engine hot, and FAILED badly!! What the He--? How do you guys do it here in sunny CA? Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated!! Ron
Here's the specs:
1987 GN
TE-44C trbo
NEW injectors: 42# (009's)
Adj regulator: fp set to 40# (as low as it will adjust)
3 Bar MAP
Stck MAF
Stck exhst, w/New CAT
Stck eng, hds, etc
TPS adjstd dwn to .34v
Scan master (reading 750-800 at idle)
Cold Air intake:
:confused:

You need one of the emissions test chips.
From TurboBob or Eric at Turbo Tweak for sure.
Even then you're not "guaranteed to pass".
Too many variables involved.

My mild pump gas Turbo Tweak chip comes right out and says it's not emissions compliant. It even turns off the EGR function.

I would love to see someone post as to how in the world they pass in CA.
My T is titled in a no-emissions county here in MO, so it's exempt.
I wouldn't even attempt to test it in the emissions areas.

Best of luck.

Hmm, OK, you may have just hit the problem on the head. Yes, I put in the TT chip after I did the 009's because I thought the stock chip was holding the injectors open too long at idle(vs stck chp) causing the high 0/2 reading. I haven't put the alky kit on yet, and this is an alky chip. I'll order the TT emissions chip and try again. Thanks guys, Ron

Yep, get in touch wiht Eric at TT right away.
I bet he'll have no problem getting you taken care of.

so what did the read out look like. and also i wouldnt run a TT alky chip if your not runing alky. at least not a WOT

Da--! Put on a new Cat, turned the TPS down to .34, put in the GAURANTEED TO PASS juice, one pint of methyl ethyl achol, got it fire engine hot, and FAILED badly!! What the He--? How do you guys do it here in sunny CA? Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated!! Ron
Here's the specs:
1987 GN
TE-44C trbo
NEW injectors: 42# (009's)
Adj regulator: fp set to 40# (as low as it will adjust)
3 Bar MAP
Stck MAF
Stck exhst, w/New CAT
Stck eng, hds, etc
TPS adjstd dwn to .34v
Scan master (reading 750-800 at idle)
Cold Air intake:
:confused:

With a good emissions chip cut for your injectors, you'll also be able to put your TPS and FP back to normal.
You must have gotten some bad advice somewhere along the line, but moving various parameters outside their normal specs causes problems, doesn't cure them.

Keep your TPS at .40-.42, and set your FP for 42-43.

read outs

OK, Thanks guys, this is getting very frustrating, here's the read out from the smog shop:
Idle= hc-330ppm-----co-3.93%
2500+hc-290ppm-----co-4.65%
I just can't figure out why it would be quite this far out. The CAT has about 200 miles on it. The Pass stuff said to fill the tank and run it out, then fill it again just before taking it to the smog shop. If nothing else, shouldn't the HC go "down" with that high of co?

Oops, forgot to add that the reading on the scanmaster read exactly the same at idle and a little less at high rpm with the car's original stock chip. I did try putting the stock FP reg back on with no success?

you cant , well lets say you shouldnt run a stock chip (burned for 28# inj) on a car that has 42# injectors , the result will be pig rich

you need a 42# emmision chip and have a functional egr system ,
fp needs to be same as always so spray pattern is good
tps needs to be adjusted as mentioned so when its off idle the car knows its off idle
plugs and wires need to be in good working order
pcv and hose needs to be clean
air cleaner needs to be clean
no leaking hoses
good o2 sensor

i didnt see power plate but if you have a power plate you need to be sure the section of the plate that covers the egr pasage has a hole drilled in it .

and what did you do to lower tps , if you backed the throttle stop screw out you also backed the throttle plate back and disturbed the IAC settings , whats your IAC , you want to see 10-20 , not 0

Hi pacecarta
I adusted the TPS itself to lower the voltage. Tomarrow, I'm going to reset everything back to normal and wait for the ordered TT emissions chip before I go back and try again, fact I think I'll go ahead and pull the egr and clean it up too. Thanks to everyone for the feedback! This forum rocks! Ron

With larger injectors you need to change your fuel pressure, 42# injector constant in the chip needs to be different. Look at what you Iac values are, should between 20-39 idle in gear. Your BLMs should not be jumping all over the place. The less the computer has to make in adjustments the cleaner your car will run. If you have a wideband then use it to adjust to the 14.7 to 1 with fuel pressure. Also make sure your O2 sensor/ coil/module /plug wires are good and use new 44# plugs. Pull up on the egr diapham so its not sticking. What degree thermostat are you running? All thing items matter and that they are set right will help you pass the test... A crisp running GN will run lean and mean.. Hope this helps.:)

those hc and co numbers are good...for raw exhaust! is your cat too far from the engine, and not heating up? do you have an air pump? what is your nox and oxygen?

lowest overall emissions is at 14.7:1 afr. you can go leaner, with more egr. but a well running car should be very clean. what are the test limits?

you could use e-85 if you have it. butanol is better (1:1 for gas, no tune needed). before cheating, make sure your car is in good tune. good luck

and get your money back for 'guaranteed to pass'!

News Flash!!!

TURBO TWEAK TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!!!
Got my "emissions chip" in the mail today. Stuck it in and went on a road test, felt good, so I stopped by the smog shop just to check the readings, and wa-la, passed with flying colors. Way below the "AVG readings". I couldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Thank you, thank you Turbo Tweak!!!! Ron