kb chip

SPS

I need Alky!!!
i have a 85 t-type with only minor mods- fp w/ hot wire, 3" single exhaust,electric fan, and boost bumped up to arounf 15psi. I bought a back up ecm(85) and it has a kenne bell 9004u chip in it. the other chip the guy said is a limp home chip?
1)is the kb chip any good for a fairly stock tr? I run 93 octane.
2)is the lim home mode chip stock or could it be aftermarket?

The Limp home chip is stock.

The KB 9004U chip was disignated as an Ultimate chip for 93-94 octane.

I don't believe it will do any harm in running it...but I would still keep an eye on your boost level.

If I remember correctly the timing in the 4400-4800 range was a tad high for todays gas. 23-24 deg.? You would be safer getting the timing lowered.

There are better chips available now from many vendor suppliers, that would be a better choice.

thanks joe! i figured i would try it since it came with the computer- better than stock right? any ideas on what i can do to get the timing down while using this chip?

Originally posted by SPS
thanks joe! i figured i would try it since it came with the computer- better than stock right? any ideas on what i can do to get the timing down while using this chip?

KB chip was better only from the stand point that boost was raised, which of course enhanced power.
So watch your boost, because the chip will be pulsing the solenoid at a higher duty cycle. If your set at 15 now with adjustable gate & also using the solenoid, the boost will increase.

The other enhancement he made was to raise the mph TCC lock up.

As far as lowering the tming, the chip would have to be reburnt with those changes.

I could do that for you, as other vendors could also.

great that answers my questions! i was wondering if it would raise the boost any more. i think i better get a scan tool before i put it in.

As Joe points out, the timing in that chip is way too high for todays gas. I had that same chip back in the early 90's and it was too much timing then for anything more than 14# of boost, it had KR like crazy. I'd recommend not getting into WOT with that chip unless your boost is below 13# and you have a scan tool to monitor knock.

chip

is there any other way to retard the timing besides reburning the chip-like maybe one of those msd retard boxes or something? if i sprayed alky do you think it would be ok? i just replaced my flowmaster exhaust with a 3" single pipe going to a dodge ram hemi resonater(straight thru type)- and man I cant believe the difference!! Spools up much quiker now and chirps the tires in second! I watch the boost gauge real close and its maxing out at 14lbs.

You can run alky. with that chip and good 93 gas.

I'd still get a turbotweak chip however.

And I ran the 1987 car version of the KB chip 9006U for 10 years on Sunoco 94 octane gas. ;)

There is a device from Ramchargers or Full Throttle performance that just does timing modifications, it's called the timing translator whereby you can adjust the timing signal between the ECM and the module after chip control.

You could retard the timing some with that device, I have one on my GN that I never use now with the turbotweak alky. chip. :p

Just my .02.

great info guys! what scan tools will work with the hot air cars? i saw some guys saying they only work on 86/87?

If the typical scanmaster won't work with the 85 cars then you might want to double check to see if the timing translator device will work with them, probably not...

I am not sure if they have an '85 version or not.

well i went ahead and put it in just to try it. right of the bat i noticed a much better idle and slightly better throttle response. didnt notice a big difference in wo power though. i will probably put the stock one back in until i can get a scan tool-thanks again for the info

I would trash the KB chip rather than trying to band-aid it by buying a device to retard timing etc...
If you ran alky with the chip you have, it would be pig rich, in order to run alky and have a good tune, lots of fuel has to be removed because alky is a fuel and will make it pig rich under boost.
The KB chip is very outdated given todays advances in chip programs. Turbotweaks chips allow you to adjust timing, but not sure if he has a hot-air version....just have to ask him, its Eric Marshal on this board.
Or call up Joe to get you another chip as he's already responded to you. Chips are very inexpensive compared to other mods..or head gasket replacement for that matter.