KC GN/T gurus?

87TurboGirl

We have had a string of bad luck here recently with my 1987 Turbo T. We live in the Kansas City area and we are trying to find either a shop or someone willing to give some advice. We are new to the car and my husband is only used to working on his camaro.... My car has now been down for about 2 weeks and we have no idea were to start... The only thing we know for sure is it is a valve train noise. possibley the rockers but we aren't convinced. Any idea of where to take one of these cars in the KC area?

What are the actual symptoms?? does not run at all or runs but badly??

Do you have a scan tool or access to one?

There are many people in that area that im sure will help you.

Phi

Runs, but lots of Valvetrain clatter/tapping. We have checked the rockers and they seem to be loose, but we aren't sure what is correct either. When WOT, it would bog down quiet a bit after 10psi. Runs abit hot, but I am not sure what is average for these cars mine is about 206-216. We've already done a leak down check, just to be safe, checked fuel pressure, all the basics that we know of..... Coil pack tested fine with just a OHM reader it was about 11.5. We are just completely clueless on this car.......

Sounds like apossible flat cam lobe. also above 200 deg is hot unless youhave stock thermo in there.

Proally need to check lifter preload, if it was checked when the heads were done and set to tight .035 or less you could have additional valve train noise from this.

Whats the spark plugs gapped too??? and what type are you usuing?

how long has it been this way, did it ever run right?

Phil

We have a 160 thermo, we are using ac delco gapped to .35, It has been this way for about 2 months, it ran perfect before that. The spark plugs were changed about a month ago.

How many miles on the motor assembly.

Do you have and Adjustabe Fuel pressure regulator?

How old are the spark plug wires?

Have you checked the oil pan for an debris possibly from a wiped cam lobe??

Phil

Engine has about 6000 miles on it, Yes I have an Adjustabe Fuel pressure regulator, Wires look pretty new not fond of the brand though they are accel, I would prefer Taylors, And we haven't checked the oil pan yet.

Well untill you find someone with a scan tool you can borrow or untill you purchase one we cant really know, but I bet its a flat cam lobe or 2. To know you need the scan tool to check everything else computer/signal wise.

Phil

Unless I missed it, what is the oil pressure? Does it move with RPM?

Flat cams often show erratic vacuum readings on the guage or excessive pinging. Either of those familiar?

Valvetrain noise can be lot of things. Who set this engine up?

Shawn

Ah, I see in another thread where SS has dropped some KC names for you.... get with them and you should be in good shape.

S

Suggestion

You have several threads spread out on this board many dealing with the same or related issue but hardly any sharing the same information....

...keep it in a single thread. Half my questions were answered by searching out your posts.

S

Call me this weekend, I will be in town for Labor Day weekend. 913 526 5999

Ok, we are in the process of pulling the engine. First of all we pulled of the oil pan and there were small metal shavings and the crank was very rigid. Now does anyone have a machine shop that they know and trust locally to get it turned? Please let me know?

sorry to hear about the rod bearing-

call this number and talk with karen-

K&M MACHINE SHOP

350 highway go east past raytown road raytown missouri

816 353 4422 karen or kevin-

they are doing my motor right now

dont let anyone turn a turbo crank past .020 .020

call me again if you guys want to chat some more-