kickdown cable adjustment

John84GN

Nice Monte...
Which direction does the kick down cable on the throttle body need to go to give me firmer shifts on my HOT-AIR...toward the passenger side, or the drivers side...the car doesn't kick down out of overdrive to easily...thanks

I believe the smaller the gap, the quicker the kickdown but I wouldn't bet my life on it. You probably already know the factory procedure but if not, below are a couple of pics from the manual for a different vin but still the same procedure. It's a good starting point but I ended up fine tuning it by trial and error and it seemed to like about a 5/16 inch gap. Use small adjustments as I believe this also effects an earlier shift point and my transmission guy told me if you get that adjustment way out, it can damage the transmission.

http://home1.gte.net/gtut/tvcableadjust2.jpg

http://home1.gte.net/gtut/tvcableadjust1.jpg

Originally posted by turbox4
Use small adjustments as I believe this also effects an earlier shift point and my transmission guy told me if you get that adjustment way out, it can damage the transmission.
Remember it isnt really a kick down cable. Older trannys (like th350's) have cables that are strictly for kick down (that you can just about adjust anyway you want) but they also have vaccum modulators that control shifting (and line pressure I think).
Our cars have a TV cable. These TV cables might be able to get you a little firmer shift, but remember they also control line pressure in the tranny.

Glad the info helped out. I see in your car description that you have an ss braided turbo oil feed line. Would appreciate knowing where I can buy one. Thanks for any source info.

the tighter(towards the drivers side)the cable is the higher and firmer your part throttle shifts will be.you should adjust it to be as high and firm as you can stand,that's what is best for your tranny.

later,sean

Sean is correct in his above post. Just remembered something though that you will probably encounter while trying to firm up the shift. You will only be able to adjust it tighter so far before the thing adjusts it self when you go WOT (it will loosen itself back to where it needs to go when you floor the pedal).

thanks guy's,

the reason for doing this is I realized that when I'm going up a hill or an incline, and I press the gas pedal further down, the car doesn't downshift until I almost floor it, and then when it does...being that I'm flooring it, the knock guage goes ALL the way up b/c I'm at like 16 psi of boost! I just thought that by adjusting the TV cable that this would remedy the problem...:rolleyes:

trubox4: I purchaced the feed line from JEGS...I think it was about $12-$15 along plus the AN fittings...all of them are -04 AN...total bill was around $35 I think...HTH

that does sound like a tv cable problem.just start tighteneing it up one click at a time til it gets too high/firm,then back it off one.

later,sean

Try the adjusting. If not then perhaps something in the valve body. A sticky TV valve, or weak spring? Might want to post your question in the Tranny Tech forum if you dont solve it from adjusting the cable. Good luck.

dumb question. I've adjusted the cable on th350's by just turning it, but how do you do it on this car?