KILL SWITCH

klmnla

Watson LA
I have read dozens of posts on installing a kill switch inside the car as a basic theft deterrent. I don't want to install it on the ECM wire. What color and location of wire under the dash is best to use as a kill switch connection?

For my car I'm going to run the switch on the wire that turns fuel pump on an off. Probably not the best, but I don't want it on the ECM so it looses power every time I turn it off. I'm just gonna find the wire from fuse box and splice into it, so if they do steal the car they won't get very far with no fuel. Or could possibly run it on wire that turns coil packs on??

You can interupt the fuel pump/injector circuit by pulling the fuse [fp/inj] out and running fron one side of the fuse slot thru a seperate fuse holder then to your hidden swtch then back into the other side of the fuse slot. No cutting of any of the factory wires is required with this method. There are many ways to kill it though, starter circuit or fuel pump circuit is my choice.

It's a bit of a pain, but I just pull that fuse and put it in my pocket. No switch for the bad guys to find.

When my car about disappeared in the 90's, they guy's dent-pulled the door lock out, But my car had the factory security switch in the door lock,Wires to it,an they fell inside the door effectively giving them an no start capability, They even broke the steering column out.Maybe you car has the same wiring to use as the kill switch?
(Then i came outside with my M -16, They (3 of them) Scattered...lol )

IMO its best to do more than one. Car alarm, Collar, Club from wheel to brake pedal and kill switches. Switches for fuel pump and ecm

True but pulling in front first and turning wheel all the way to lock will slow them down at least.

there are some nice gps devices out there, can be tracked from a laptop or smartphone.

Kill switches are a little old school.

And usually involve hacking into wiring that doesn't appreciate being hacked into.
Also, bear in mind that the fuel pump circuit is tricky in that yes - there is a fuel pump relay, but there is also a bypass designed in from the low oil pressure switch.
This allows the car to start even if the fuel pump relay has gone bad.
You can tell that on certain cars that delay to start until after cranking a couple times - waiting on the oil pressure switch to close.
And you really don't want to interrupt the main circuit leading to the fuel pump as that can cause a voltage drop - which is the last thing you want to do to the fuel pump.

Get an anti-theft chip burned from Eric or Bob.

They can program you your own custom sequence of tricks (gas pedal 5 times - wait 3 seconds; that sort of thing)

But don't get complacent thinking once you get a kill swtich or a anti-theft chip - you can then rest easy.
As others have said - it's the tow trucks that will get you.

Read all the other posts about all the layers of counter measures you need to incorporate.
Both anti-theft - and theft recovery.

True but pulling in front first and turning wheel all the way to lock will slow them down at least.

It did not slow us down much as we re-posesed a few cars that were parked like that right from under the "victims" window! ;)

One thing we did learn from that business in the '80's, do NOT repo on indian land as they will shoot at you, as they have their own justice system? :eek:

I posted this in the other thread about this subject, PLEASE DON'T GIVE OUT ALL OUR TRICKS ON AN OPEN FORUM!!! Ya don't want the bad guys reading it, and even if you post anonymously,they might get the secrets you posted and steal mine. Of course if you can negotiate the mine field in the drive, beat the dogs and cheat the electronic eyes AND make it past the shotguns...Cheers

Kill switches are a little old school.

And usually involve hacking into wiring that doesn't appreciate being hacked into.
Also, bear in mind that the fuel pump circuit is tricky in that yes - there is a fuel pump relay, but there is also a bypass designed in from the low oil pressure switch.
This allows the car to start even if the fuel pump relay has gone bad.
You can tell that on certain cars that delay to start until after cranking a couple times - waiting on the oil pressure switch to close.
And you really don't want to interrupt the main circuit leading to the fuel pump as that can cause a voltage drop - which is the last thing you want to do to the fuel pump...............

Kill switches may be old school, but have saved many a GN from being stolen. :)

Actually my favorite kill switch is the fuel pump. When it is done properly, it will NOT let the car start, but since some fuel is in the lines, the engine will run for a second or 2. The crook thinks he can start it, and then figures it will not run.

I agree, you do not interrupt the power wire to the pump, but the trigger wire to the relay, as well as something else hidden like a switch killing the ECM, and you can do both with one switch.

If the owner is familiar with the wiring, this can be easily done all inside the car, but it is not smart to post details on anti-theft "how-to" in a public forum.

I posted this in the other thread about this subject, PLEASE DON'T GIVE OUT ALL OUR TRICKS ON AN OPEN FORUM!!! Ya don't want the bad guys reading it, and even if you post anonymously,they might get the secrets you posted and steal mine. Of course if you can negotiate the mine field in the drive, beat the dogs and cheat the electronic eyes AND make it past the shotguns...Cheers

Don't know who you're yelling at or chastising - but I didn't see any state super secrets written.
And to my knowledge - There is no private forum or manner to post such things.
I've advocated it, but even if you could create a closed, security oriented - by the time you bestowed admission to everyone on the up n up - you've essentially created an open forum again.
And new owners quite legitimately need to ask more experienced owners how they accomplish something; the easiest.

Nothing here was super specific anyway.
More generalities about putting this there, and that where.

Everyone does something different anyway - so some thief would have to have a full blown debugging flow chart, a tool chest full of tools and meters to go through to get past the anti-start obstacles.

I agree its not a topic to post in public, however any trick to at least slow them down is really all I want at this point. I did have the security feature on my Extender chip, but did not get it with the TT chip. I figured the idiot thief would not take the time to figure out why the car wont start.

Pop the hood, unplug the cam sensor connector. No start, no matter how hard you try.

Remember to plug it back in when you return.