Knock sensor gauge?

Johnnie

Would a knock sensor gauge be necessary for a bone stock GN (with Eric's 5.7 chip ) that is also going to be utilizing the scanmaster gauge , or just overkill? Reason is I would like some easily read real-time data. No plans on racing it, just occasionally stepping into it a bit. I also use 93/94 pump gas with no alky kit.
Does the ECM sense the knock and adjust the parameters on its own? I am deathly afraid of detonation, BTW. I'm thinking maybe a good idea ?

Although the ECM pulls timing when it senses knock, engine damage can still occur if the knock is severe enough or keeps increasing as you stand on the throttle to the point where something gives before you have a chance to lift. With so many other distractions going on during a WOT run, it may be difficult to keep your eyes glued solely on the scanmaster to watch for knock. As important as it is to keep knock in check a secondary knock monitor is good to have, imo. What some do is put in a Caspers Audible Knock Detector. http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=5_6_10&products_id=599

It installs near your ECM and makes an audible beep when knock is detected. The nice thing about it is its out of sight so doesn't become yet another visual distraction and when you hear the beep your natural instinct will be to lift off the throttle. Some don't care for it for whatever reason. The main complaint is it sometimes makes noises when its not supposed to which can happen if you don't install it correctly. The only time I experienced an inadvertent beep was at start up after the car sat for a few days. Could never figure out why but it was nice knowing it was "doing something" because if you never hear it you will always be wondering if its working at all. Lol. I would do a search and see what others have to say about it before you make a decision.