Knock?

"Reaper"

Gone To The Dark Side
Ok just got my Casper knock gauge and boost gauge installed..Getting knock at WOT I am getting 15-16 boost.I do I fix that?

I have

Lucas 30 lb
255 pump
adj FPR
3" DP
3" all the way back
K&N filter
TT chip
scanmaster 2.1
stock turbo
fuel pressuer is set at 45

I do not want to hurt anything so any help would be great...
Thanks
Shaun

Were you getting knock on the scanmaster before the caspers gauge install? If so what was it?
Did you change anything before the install of the guage and the last WOT run?

Were you getting knock on the scanmaster before the caspers gauge install? If so what was it?
Did you change anything before the install of the guage and the last WOT run?

scanmaster is still new to me so not sure on how to tell if I was getting knock or not.

yes the 3" dp and all the way out the back
and TT chip

Scanmaster

scanmaster is still new to me so not sure on how to tell if I was getting knock or not.

yes the 3" dp and all the way out the back
and TT chip

The scanmaster enters run mode when you turn the vehicle on. It is showing O2 millivolt readings on the left and retard degress on the right. Retard degrees is knock. It is a reading of the detonation level occurring in the engine. Both numbers are very important. O2 millivolt is basically telling you what the air/fuel mix is, in other words how rich or lean you are running. As the engine leans reaches WOT, the scanmaster is recording both values. O2 at its lowest point and retard degrees at their highest. O2 millivolt should stay above approximately 750 with little or no knock reading. If O2's are falling much below 750 and knock retard is increasing throughout the run or becomes prevelant in third gear (not just at shift points and going away), get out of it. The problem is most likely fuel pressure related.

IMO, don't drive anywhere but the closest turbo buick expert if you continue to read knock and cannot figure it out on your own. Good Luck!

post your knock reading from the right side of the scanmaster readout. could just be octane related. meaning you need more. it is not hard to run too lean with the stock injectors. good hot wired fuel pump??

The most sure-fire way to get rid of detonation is to install a methanol injection kit. But there are plenty of guys out there running safe boost without the aid of methanol, so if you want to get rid of knock without the expense of an alky kit, here's a few tips:

Invest in an RJC power plate. It helps to evenly distribute incoming air to all 6 cylinders. When boosting, air slams to the back of the intake plenum and floods the rear 2 cylinders, leaning them out and causing knock. The power plate is designed to prevent that from happening and stop the rear cylinders from leaning out. I installed one and immediately noticed less knock. Some people argue that the plate is a restriction to air flow but I'd rather have evenly distributed air flow at the cost of a slight restriction to flow. Increased air flow is no good if it chooses to flow into the 2 back cylinders.

Play with the adjustments built into the TT chip. You can add fuel and pull timing. Pull all the timing it allows just to see if it helps. If it does, slowly increase the timing again unti you see knock. You don't want to pull more timing than neccesarry. Add a little fuel too. Adjust for 3rd gear, most knock occurs in 3rd.

Check all vacuum lines and turbo hoses to make sure unmetered air isn't getting in anywhere and leaning things out.

In my experience there's no magic fix for detonation. With each attempt you'll lessen it by a little bit. I didn't have the satisfaction of knowing detonation would stay at ZERO until I bought the alky kit, but the methods mentioned above did lessen it a little at a time.

If you installed a DP check to see if its hitting anywhere. Betya $100 thats lighting up your knock guage...although its false. It can hit on the firewall or the heatersheild. It wont rear its ugly head until under acceleration and the motor twists a little bit.

After WOT run & b4 turning ign off, press button on right for recall of min O2 & max knock retard--then push both buttons in @ same time to recall MPHs at which each occurred...

Thank you all for the great info.
I went into the scanmaster and added 1.6% of fuel and taken out -1.1 on the timing Knock is gone.going to try to fine tune it a little but for now it is gone.