Lawn Care

Nice lawn!!! You need to sharpen your blades also id invest in a nice gas stick edger,check the mower shops you dont have to get a $360 professional brand new one like we have.. I bought a $75 used one that worked great for a spare just put a new blade on it... You need a nice deep groove all the way around the sidewalk , that will give the salt a place to go in the winter between the groove and being careful when throwing salt on the sidewalk in the winter you can get rid of all the bare spots at the perimeter, and dont forget to edge the curb too we normally edge every other week...Your grass isnt gonna get any thicker without more seed once you rake that out you will be suprised at how many barespots youll find..

I use an edger but the ground has been to wet here to do it yet. When and how often should I aerate the lawn? I've never done that before and don't know where to begin.

Aerating involves using a "plugger" or "aerator" to put holes in the ground and pull plugs out so as to allow air to the root system & give the grass seed and fertilizer a starting point to begin the germination process. We do it every year on our customer's lawn, but it isn't needed as often in some cases. Try a local equipment rental store to acquire a walk behind aerator & spreader and wait till the Fall to do work!