LCD..DLP..HDTV..Plasma..ARRGH

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
Without going to extensive research, what is the difference?

There is LCD rear projection too. Too much information out there. I would like to buy a flat panel TV and have it last 20 years + meet current/future technology. The four TVs I have all work but they are less clear than I can tolerate these days. I got older myself.

arrgh

it depends how much you want to spend.a hd plasma is the best picture,then the Lcd,picture good but colors not as true,then dlp.and also the size that you would want to buy.ive been puting up a few plasmas with a lot of happy customers. hope i helped some.

I've been hearing that plasma has a fairly short lifespan, like 5 years. No idea if that is true.

Lcd

John,
Last year I did the same thing researching which type of TV to buy. I ended up buying a 42" Sony Wega LCD. It is a rear projection but it is only about 7" deep. I was really looking at a plasma but to purchase a really good plasma is very expensive, the 2-3K plasmas are not as good as the 5-6k plasma's, but for the money I have been overly pleased with my LCD (around 2.5k, at the time). The picture is great I have it set up on cable HD, and the resolution is incredible. I have watched plasma's (in home settings) that are in the same price range as my Sony and I think mine TV is a better picture. Also the main part in the LCD is a light bulb, if it goes out buy a new one and screw it in. If a plasma goes bad, buy a new plasma. I really like plasma's cause they are just cool, but for the money and quality, I have been nothing but pleased with my Sony LCD. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

The plasma TVs will gas out over time. That is a fact. The lifespan of the TV depends on how much heat it will see in your house. Don't put it over a fireplace and you should also be weary if you live in a hot climate and leave the AC off during the day. I've heard a plasma will last up to 10 years unless there are other heat factors involved. I'm thinking they're good for 5-6 before the picture gets crappy.

Rear projection TVs are just as bad. I have a projection HDTV that is about 4 years old and the picture is degrading. The convergence goes out on these things quite often and it's a pain to realign them. After a few years like mine it would cost almost as much to have everything put back in place as a new projection TV.

DLP is the most reliable technology out there right now. The picture quality is not as good as the others due to less black level, however for the price and reliability factor, I believe it is the best bang for the buck. The light bulb that shines through the DLP chip will fade over 5 years or so, but it is about $250 - $350 to replace and most new DLP's out there have an easy access port to replace the bulb.

Just my .02 :cool:

Hey thanks guys. Looks like flat panel LCD or DLP is the way to go. I'll have to check the Thanksgiving weekend sales. I like Sharp TVs. Those Aquos are coming down in price finally. Not sure what brand DLP is good. I don't really like the 16:9 format but I have a rectangular space to fill. I think I could house a 52" TV in it and still fit my surround sound.

I got a 62" RCA DLP last winter and couldn't be happier. There were'nt many choices in that size. I liked the capability to replace a $250 bulb and have a new TV. From what I read, most of these new sets are rated for about 8000 hours before scraping or replacing components and DLP looke like the best option.

We just purchased a 61 inch Panasonic LCD Projection PT-61LCX65.
It ended up costing around $2200 before we bought the $500 Stand.
The combination of Picture, Size and Cost made it the best choice for me.
-The Plasmas are too expensive for their size and they burn in if you game.
Since we have an X360 Coming next week this would never work for us.
-The DLPs are almost twice as expensive to get a large set and some people see a rainbow effect.
-The standard LCDs are expensive and too small.

We also have a 47inch rear projection that requires convergance and burn in work. I would not recomend a non LCD Projection TV!!!

aargh

john, your question about the life span of a plasma is true. that there is a life span.but your looking at something like 60 to 70,000 hours before its half life.even at that id dont think that you would see the the change.your choice of lcd is great they are good.but anything over a 37 and the price is crazy.its cheaper to buy the plasma.

John,

I bought a 62" Mitsubihi DLP TV about 3 weeks ago. It's really nice but the picture quality isn't quite as good as my folks 50" Sony LCD TV. I think the biggest difference is the size of the picture. On the high definition channels both sets are just awesome. My only gripe is that there isn't enough high definition programming to get your money's worth out of the thing. DVD's are pretty cool though.

Neal

I got the Toshiba 55" DLP 2 years ago and have been very happy with it. Yes setting it up is a pain from time to time. I have Dish Network with the HD channels and like Neal said there are not a whole lot of HD shows. All the local channels in Houston are now broadcasting in HD but because they are spliting there transmitter band width to broadcast in both HD and standard picture they don't do HD as well as it should be.

Good Luck in your choice
Neal

Sony Vega

I bought the new Sony Vega rear projection LCD about six months ago. Very impressed. For me, the viewing angle and non-glare screen were the most important. Price was reasonable, too.
If you want to do more research, try www.avsforum.com

If you're interested in getting educated on the pros and cons of the several types of HDTV technologies, do bother to get a copy of Sound & Vision magazine's HDTV Guide 2006. Alternatively, you can visit S&V at soundandvisionmag.com.

If you're serious about a STUNNING picture, take a look at the 50" Sony model KSRD50XBR1. It is an LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon) rear projection type. It is commonly called an SXRD (silicon crystal reflective display). It KILLS anything else out there and the price, about $3500, give-or-take, is quite right.

Check out avforum.com. There are over 200 pages of discussion on this TV - almost all of it overwhelmingly positive. It is truly the BEST OF THE BEST. And it has a 60" brother, one of which I own.

strike