Lead type race gas fouling out O2's?

DrkBluT-TyPe

1986 Buick Regal T-Type
I recently decided to run race gas only in my TR, I have been warned by others that it will foul out my O2 sensors and that I need a chip that runs open loop. I have erics chip currently and have been told its both open loop idle and runs open loop. Is this true? And is their any way i can NOT foul out my O2 sensors?

Around here I can get Racing Street Legal Unleaded 100 octane (R+M/2) at the pump. Yes, it's $4.80 a gallon, but it won't foul out the O2 sensors or plugs. I doubt if leaded Racing gas would be cheaper.

Maybe you don't have Racing Unleaded where you are. You can add up to 40% Xylene or Toulene to kick up your unleaded premium octane. Don't go above 40% since it might damage fuel system components. This will loose you some cold start drivability, but is ok when the engine is warm. You can buy either of these 2 in bulk to make it cheaper. Paint stores often carry these. Plus, these clean injectors really good.

-Mike H.

Before i decided about this race gas, i was running alky with unleaded. It worked great, but i still got knock. I tried out 5 gallons of 110 race fuel..without alky...no knock. But ya, race gas is just alot safer and i would feel better running it. Around herem decent unleaded race gas....9.00 a gallon :eek: :eek:

I use leaded race gas also its 111 octane and 4.30 a gallon thats a tough price to beat in my opinion. Especially when 87 octane cost over 3.00 in some places.

Hacksaw said:
Around here I can get Racing Street Legal Unleaded 100 octane (R+M/2) at the pump.

-Mike H.

curious as to what kind of boost you can get out of the 100.
Me - about 20-21 max

DrkBluT-TyPe said:
Before i decided about this race gas, i was running alky with unleaded. It worked great, but i still got knock. I tried out 5 gallons of 110 race fuel..without alky...no knock.
If you did not change your chip fueling when switching to just race fuel, this may be the reason you were getting knock with alky...also depends on what type of alky system you were using.
When using alky, the fueling at WOT in the chip needs to be reduced by 15-20% from a perfect non-alky tune, otherwise you will be running extremely rich as alky is a fuel...you may have been getting knock from being too rich.
Use race ggas if you drive it only at the track, use alky if you drive on the street....no reason to burn up $8+ a gallon gas sitting at a red light and cruising in traffic....unless you can go WOT all the time race gas is a waste.
If your alky system is an old setup, you may want to think about upgrading it to a more current design from Razor or SMC.

And is their any way i can NOT foul out my O2 sensors?
IF you run leaded gas, you WILL foul the O2 sensor, and the CAT. The Denso O2 sensor is more resistant to lead fouling, it's been discussed on this board before. It will foul, too, just takes longer. Some folks who run leaded at the track will replace the sensor with a "dummy" when they're running the leaded gas, then put the working sensor back in for street driving. The sensor is not used at WOT, although it gives info that you can use for tuning. (Nice to know if you're rich or lean when that knock alarm goes off)

DrkBluT-TyPe said:
I have erics chip currently and have been told its both open loop idle and runs open loop. Is this true?

Only open loop at idle. But if you unplug the O2 sensor it will switch to open loop full time.

Eric

i fould denso 02 in 1 day of torco 110 .i love race fuel and methanol but replaceing 02 sensor every week gets old .thats why i love my alky kit .but 110 is only 3.49 gallon around here .which is only .20 cents cheaper than 93 octane .wish there was a good 02 out there that wont foul with leaded fuel.anyone know of one .if so give part # and where to get it .thanks guys

is aviation fuel that is rated at 100 octane leaded? cuz i found some around where i live that is reasonably cheap. i usually just put about 4.5 gallons of it when i fill up. will even this amount of leaded fuel foul my 02?

MaxEffort completely ignores the O2 sensor. You never have to replace one again.

The heated 02 sensors tend to last a lot longer. Some people get several months out of them.

its turbo time said:
is aviation fuel that is rated at 100 octane leaded? cuz i found some around where i live that is reasonably cheap. i usually just put about 4.5 gallons of it when i fill up. will even this amount of leaded fuel foul my 02?
Aviation 100 octane Low Lead is only low lead when compared to what other aviation fuels used to have. It has probably as much lead as 110 octane race gas, not quite as much as C16. Yes, heated sensors will last longer but I once watched a brand new heated denso sensor die in 10 minutes of idling, warming the motor and getting to the staging lanes. It was dead before it ever got down the track once. This was on a car that had had basically nothing but C16 for a lot of street miles.

I don't drive my Buick much...But when I do I'm usually driving to the track/night cruise. I think Im going to get Maxefforts chip and tune it so i can run 110+ octane :)

The ME's have 2 timing settings along with several fuel settings. I have mine set up to run alky on one timing and C16 on the other setting.

DrkBluT-TyPe said:
I don't drive my Buick much...But when I do I'm usually driving to the track/night cruise. I think Im going to get Maxefforts chip and tune it so i can run 110+ octane :)

If I'm not mistaken, the Maxeffort setup will not pass emissions testing done in the Dallas areas. This is the reason I did not go with the setup.

I have been using a denso that has gone through many gallaons of race fuel and it's still good. :confused:

Dannyo

you are lucky 3 sensors in 3 months .and yes the denso sensors .i got maybe 10 miles on one with 110 leaded .i did have 1 that lasted about a month

I wonder if something else is going on? :confused:

I have been on the same 02 since last year and my car is still running good with no signs of the 02 slowing down yet.

I'm just about done running about 5 gallons of 114 and will be adding more soon. Of course I'll have a new one ready to go in if needed.

Dunno.

Dannyo

I'm with Dannyo, my last Denso 02 sensor lasted almost two years while running many, many tankfuls of 100LL aviation fuel. I went ahead and changed it even though it hadn't slowed down that much. R.B.

I'm not sure what a foul'd out O2 sensor does...but I know mine all of a sudden started reading like i was LEAN...my O2's went from low 800's to high 600's and low 720's.....so im hopeing its just the foul'd out O2 sensor.....but ya anyone know how a foul'd O2 sensor acts?

DrkBluT-TyPe said:
I'm not sure what a foul'd out O2 sensor does...but I know mine all of a sudden started reading like i was LEAN...my O2's went from low 800's to high 600's and low 720's.....so im hopeing its just the foul'd out O2 sensor.....but ya anyone know how a foul'd O2 sensor acts?
The O2 cross-counts get very slow...watch them with a scan tool and they should cycle from 0-255 in less than 90 seconds at idle and at op temp.