Let's talk upgrading alternators....

Anyone know the effects on the alternator of running a billet under drive crank pulley? Good or bad? Maybe I'm cooking these alternators due to spinning them too slowly?? (Alongside the extra load of the fans/etc...)

I rebuild them to put out 220 amps. It will put out 14.5 volts at 1000 rpms.

I charge $250 for them. Feel free to IM me if you like.

Update: Got the new Powermaster 47294 150a unit from Summit Racing. ($159 shipped) Other than having to re-clock the housing 90*, its a plug and play unit on the hot air. I swapped the pulley and fan off the one I had simply because I didn't like the look of the gold pulley/fan it came with. Had to shave the 1/8" lip off the back of the stock fan, and reused the spacer that came with the new alternator (it was a smaller diameter than the stock one) and everything lined up perfect. only down side to all this....It didn't cure my issue. Still was running low 12.xx volts at warm idle.....so I swapped pulleys from the billet under drive ones back to the stock ones and whalla...problem solved. Still feel better about the higher amp alternator though.

huh... so those guys at GM knew what they were doing when they decided on the the pulley diameters... who knew?

90's 4.5 or 4.9 front wheel drive cadillac alternators are a direct replacement for the 84-85 cars and 120 amp

90's 4.5 or 4.9 front wheel drive cadillac alternators are a direct replacement for the 84-85 cars and 120 amp
Looking forward to doing this swap but one question how did you wire it to the Cadillac alternat or with it have a different Harness?

You dont have a part number by chance?

Im ready to go buy one but dont want to buy the wrong one
I actually got the alternaor from a 96 camaro 5.7L from auto zone. Part # dl1429-6-7. They usually on hand don't have to special order. The job was real easy. Get the bracket off a N/A gbody. Also grab the wiring harness from a alternator while your at the junk yard to save 10 bucks. I didn't reclock the alternaor just slapped it on and get 14.2 volts at idle.

I actually got the alternaor from a 96 camaro 5.7L from auto zone. Part # dl1429-6-7. They usually on hand don't have to special order. The job was real easy. Get the bracket off a N/A gbody. Also grab the wiring harness from a alternator while your at the junk yard to save 10 bucks. I didn't reclock the alternaor just slapped it on and get 14.2 volts at idle.
Were you still able to keep your AC compressor?

NA Gbody? It doesnt matter what engine, or model?

Heres a link to the thread with pics of both alternator brackets http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/alternator-bracket-problem.368048/
In case the link doesnt work heres a pic
brackets 002.jpg

Alternators Unlimited in Berkeley, CA

Attachments

• 1434417948406.jpg
    1434417948406.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 145
Excell automotice alternator part number 71346 worked fine for my hot air, i used the different alternator bracket shown above! Also wheb doing the swap i found where the engine ground wires are located. Basically under the AC compressor, so i was able to clean them up and use dielectric grease to make a good connection.

Upon initial start of the car my scan master showed 11.1 volts which upset me a little because thats the whole reason i wanted a better alternator. But once i blipped the throttle a few times the volts showed 13.6 volts for the first time ever!!!!

My BLMs and INT looked good but i only idled the car so far, its all apart for paint, so im happy!

Question? For the 90's fwd Cadillac 4.5 / 4.9 ALT how was it wired ? The pwr is there but which one would be ground and what about the extra wire, needed or not ? Already changed the pylley ready for install but would like to wire it up before it goes in...Thanks fellas

Attachments

• 1436839188989.jpg
    1436839188989.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 1436839209245.jpg
    1436839209245.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 1436839312441.jpg
    1436839312441.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 140