LG3 3.8 Turbo Century - Build Pictures

turbokinetic

At the request of a member here, I'm posting my turbo FWD 3.8 SFI engine build. This is in a Century, not an Regal so I put it in the Hybrids section! It will be broken up into 7 or 8 posts due to a limitation of this forum.

If the pictures do not show, remember they are hosted on my computer. If the computer is offline or the DSL link is down, the pictures will show an X. If this happens let me know but probably just try again later and the will be back up.

My goals for this project:

-Stock-appearing exterior.
-Street drivable with ALL accessories working.
-Reliable and dependable.
-475 to 500 HP.
-Build car using salvage parts, new stock replacement parts, and things I fabricate. (Only buy what I can't build or slavage.)
-Learn alot!

Bear in mind, most of the fab work (other than the engine build) was done at a farm in a barn with dirt floor and no electricity other than my other car's power inverter, or a very noise Tecumseh generator.

Thanks,
David

Here is the whole writeup:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2948544

Here are some selected posts of the build, in chronological order oldest first. I've been posting this on a-body.net mainly:
Been a while - I have been busy at work and life has been in the way of posting here! Will read up on the threads after I post this.

Anyway I needed an engine block and found a complete (down to the ECM, sensors, accessories, and wiring harness) 3.8 SFI engine for $100. Only problem was a thrown timing chain and bent valves. This is a factory roller-cam engine and has a very stout block that weighs many pounds more than my 3.0 block.

The only logical choice was to rebuild this engine and retire the 3.0 draw-through turbo engine for some other project.

I carefully unhooked everything at the salvage yard, kept all the parts and hardware and had the yard crew pull the engine and put it in my truck. This was a deal indeed!!

The 87 3.8SFI, stock puts out 165 HP, no turbo, plain-jain stock. The 1979 3.8 turbo (what I was building originally) put out 180 HP stock. This engine is almost as strong with no turbo than the older one was, with boost!

So I have been planning an all-out off the deep end 3.8 SFI Turbo from Hell. My goal is to lay down at least one dynamometer pull at or above 500 HP. If I can get the transmission to hold it. Everyone who "knows" Buick engines says this is an "easy" goal and I should shoot for more. But the transmission will be the limiting factor.

The 1987 3.8 SFI FWD engine is equivalent to the Grand National engine "109" casting engine block (the strong ones, in other words) plus it already has the roller camshaft lifter guide mount points in the block.

Just did some work it, getting the heads and manifold ported and the timing gear system worked out.

There is a high performance turbo camshaft for this engine since it is a direct decendant of the mighty Grand National 3.8. The only problem is, the GN was rear wheel drive and had a gear-driven oilpump and ignition timer device. The camshaft for it is the same as the old carburetor 3.8. It has a mechanical fuel pump lobe, and an oilpump / distributor drive gear.

My engine is a Front Wheel Drive engine from 1987. This had a factory installed roller lifter camshaft. The block is equipped for the retaining hardware for the roller lifters. The cam has no provisions of a mechanical fuel pump and has no distributor / oilpump drive gear. Therefore the camshaft is shorter. To use the readily-available RWD Grand National high performance camshaft in my FWD engine, I had to have the front end of the cam machined to match the engine's original camshaft.

This turned out excellent! Instead of the gear-driven ignition timer device on the RWD engine, my engine has a separate cam position sensor and crank trigger. Instead of a gear driven oilpump, it has a gerotor-type oilpump that is direct-drive off the lower crankshaft sprocket. It turns at crankshaft speed and is a much better systen than the old gear pump. The front of the engine is more compact and the oil filter bypass issue is reduced. But the aftermarket Grand National camshaft had to be modified!

Engine as-received:
as_received.jpg

as_received2.jpg

Engine during rebuild. Pictures are annotated:
block_cam_pistons.jpg

manifold_inlet.jpg

manifold_runners.jpg

head_ported1.jpg

head_ported2.jpg

cams_compare.jpg

timing_gears_system.jpg

Cover_inst_nomag.jpg

-Page 2-

Cover_inst_mag.jpg

Okay - some trivia! There are 2 versions of this ignition system. One has a single crank trigger ring, and the other has two crank trigger rings with differing numbers of slots. These rings are on the back of the harmonic balancer.

My engine has the single ring system. It has a metal cam trigger magnet that is not able to break off the cam. This is a good thing because this system depends on the cam sensor to operate the ignition. If the cam sensor or the magnet fails; the engine can not run. The pictures above, of the old "3.8 SFI" engine are the old style where the cam signal MUST work for the engine to run.

The newer ones with the dual crank trigger ring use the cam sensor only for timing the fuel injection. The engine will run with or without it. These have a cheezy plastic cam trigger magnet that is famous for breaking away and causing the Check Engine light to come on. The picture below shows the "newer" system used on 1989 and newer "3800 SFI" engines.

The newer ones start with less cranking because the dual crank trigger gets synchronized within 2/3 of a crankshaft rotation. After 2/3 of a rotation, the ignition system begins firing sparks and the engine can start.

The older ones (like my engine above) require up to TWO crankshaft revolutions before the cam trigger has given the ignition sync signal it needs to start firing sparks. So the starter has to turn over longer before it cranks up.

New-style cam magnet (needed only for fuel timing, engine can run without):
asm_timing_1.jpg

Just spent some time getting details sorted out on my 3.8 SFI Turbo engine. Had to modify the throttle body to move the IAC motor and throttle position sensor away from the wastegate. They wastegate has to be in the position it is to clear the brake master cylinder.

I was able to "turn around" both the IAC and TPS so they point towards the engine instead of the turbocharger components. The IAC valve required a smiple aluminum spacer block and some longer screws. There is just barely enough clearence to plug the harness into it by the manifold. I'll grind away the sharp casting seam from the manifold before final assembly.

The TPS sensor could turn around, but the roll pin that operates the sensor had to be driven through to the other side of the throttle shaft, and some minor grinding done on the mount point so the sensor arm could travel throughout the whole 90° arc. This left the connector about 1/4 inch from the manifold. To overcome this, I soldered 3 wires into the sensor, and drilled holes in the side of the sensor housing, to allow the wires to exit at a 90° angle. Then the soldered connections were filled with gasket adhesive. On the end of the "pigtail" harness, a 3-way wetherpack plug in installed. The factory harness will plug in here just like into an unmodified TPS sensor.

Going back on the road so it will be a couple weeks before I can finish. Will have to get the right kind of mandrel bent tubing for the downpipe.

In this first picture, you can see the TPS and IAC sitting too close to the turbo system. Wastegate is not installed yet but it is "in" the area now occupied by the IAC motor:
Turbo_Mount2.jpg

Here is the modified TB with an explanation:
TB1.jpg

Here it is assembled with the newly modified TB:
test_asm_no_dp2_ann.jpg

In preparation of installing a 3" exhaust downpipe (required for this size turbo and engine) I have moved the shifter mechansim down closer to the trans case. This car has no PRNDL switch on the trans shaft. It is in the column, so I gained about an inch of clearance here. Just above the downpipe, the brake booster is in the way....
test_asm_no_dp5_ann.jpg

More fabrication pictures:
TB2.jpg

TB3.jpg

TB_inst1.jpg

TB_inst2.jpg

-Page 3-
test_asm_no_dp1.jpg

test_asm_no_dp3.jpg

test_asm_no_dp4.jpg

Did a little more tinkering today and have pictures to prove it!

I've been in tubeline hell today! Just got about 90% done with the oil and water lines for my latest turbo project. Still have to drill and tap the manifold for MAP sensor port and turbo cooling water port; and drill and tap the block for the oil return.

The fittings on the turbo coolant and oil lines are German-made hydraulic compression
fittings. They are pretty easy to install. THis is th first time I have used them and will be intersted to see how they hold up. Those tubes are heavywall steel tubing.

The oil lines have mechanical fittings at each end, but the water lines have mechanical fitting at the turbo, and a short piece of connecting hose at the other end, to facilitate assembly. The water lines are 3/8 and the oil supply is 1/4. The oil return is 1/2" copper with double-flared ends.

I bet someone will claim the copper will not hold up but I have news for you - got the same setup on my other car and the same return line is on there for 14 years!

The wastegate line comes from a spacer block between the IAC valve and the TB. It is a direct signal from the PRESSURE side of the throttle. There is an oriface in the block and a needle valve will be in the open port on top of the tee, to set the boost pressure. Not
the best but it will suffice until I can get an electronic boost valve installed.

The pictures are annotated and should be self-explanatory.
Thanks!

David

lines1.jpg

lines2.jpg

lines3.jpg

lines4.jpg

lines5.jpg

lines6.jpg

lines7.jpg

-Page 4-

lines8.jpg

lines9.jpg

Well - had some time to work on my project car a little! Remember this is a 1984 Buick Century, getting a Buick 3.8 SFI Turbo Intercooled V6. Have been working on it in my spare time and some months that is hard to come by!

I have been really busy at work and haven't had time to reply to many posts. Life has been crazy. Hopefully y'all will find this interesting.

Just got done making and installing the exhaust downpipe. These pictures are annotated and explain the process. First, the pieces of the downpipe were installed and tack-welded in place. This engine requires a 3" exhaust system It would be bad enough to create a 3" exhaust from the "factory" exhaust outlet point, but making it from the turbo, under the master cylinder, behind the engine, under the A/C evap case, and out the "stock" location--- was quite a challenge!
DP_tack_weld1.jpg

DP_tack_weld2.jpg

Once the pipe was tacked in position, I had to drop the subframe down to get clearance to remove the pipe.
Subframe_down.jpg

Subframe_down2.jpg

After that point, I fully welded the pipe together, and added the fittings such as the oxygen sensor port, and pipe mounting points.
DP_asm_no_wrap.jpg

Once the pipe was built, I wrapped 2 layers of fiberglass exhaust insulation around it, and over-wrapped it with 2 layers of heavy-duty aluminum tape. This will keep the pipe from radiating heat and damaging the brake system and A/C system. It comes vary close to both of them.
DP_complete.jpg

DP_WG_flange.jpg

With the completed pipe installed, it is time to re-install all the parts removed to build the pipe. The A/C drier bracket had to be modified to clear the pipe. The air filter is now where the battery used to be. The battery is in the trunk with a 3/0 cable and power stud under the hood to power the starter. The transmission dipstick had to be moved to the other side of the engine to clear the downpipe. That 3 inch pipe is pretty big! I ran the engine with the downpipe open like this. It is LOUD. The "bass" is such that you feel it in your chest when the engine is revved.
DP_inst3.jpg

DP_inst4.jpg

DP_inst_under.jpg

This is the power stud where everything gets battery power. The original positive battery cable goes here, to power the starting motor. The other wires are the power feed from the 140 amp Delco CS144 alternator, the power feed to the interior fusebox, and the ECM power feed.
Eng_belt.jpg

Next time I have free time I will start working on the charge air pipework. Will probably have to fabricate a narrow-radius 90° aluminum piece to get the air pipe to clear the other parts.

Can't wait to get on to tuning the ECM on this thing. If all the parts in it do what they claim, it should have a transmission-shredding 475+ HP.

Thanks!
David

Just got around to annotating and posting the pictures of the intercooler charge air pipework. Pictures should be self-explanatory.

There are 4 pieces of pipe. One "horseshoe" pice at each end of the bumper, one crossover pipe under the front of the car, and an "up-pipe" from there to the throttle body.

The up-pipe is connected to the TB with a temporary rubber hose. I plan to weld a narrow-radius auminum elbow onto the throttle body to aliminate this hose. That is once I learn how to use the TIG welder I just aquired... (It is scarey and has a million buttons, settings, and options. I bought it because I got a good deal on it but have no idea how to use it:ugh:).

I have an extra TB so if I mess up one I am still OK.

I was toying with the idea of a liquid cooled interooler because it has less complicated charge air pipework. Only problem is there is all the cooling fluid connections, heat exchanger, pump etc. An air-to-air is the simplest and most reliable solution anyway. Just took a little time to fab up the plumbing.

The center crossover pipe is "just a little" lower than I wanted it. It may be the part to hit a curb when I pull too far into a parking spot. May have to build a skid-plate eventually.

All the bumper and grill parts fit back on and conceal the pipework and intercooler. Nothing visible will show! (unless you peer into the grille and notice).

I have an intercooler ordered but it hasn't come in yet. I have the dimensions on it and the pipes should line up!

The intercooler is half as tall as the A/C condenser. In the space above the intercooler, I am going to place half an A/C condenser. I will cut it long-ways to fit in this space. It will be an "oversize" transmission oil cooler.

IC_flow1.jpg

Int_Byp.jpg

The following pictures are in order following airflow from turbo to throttle body:

Pipe_l_1.JPG

Pipe_l.jpg

Pipe_r_1.jpg

Pipe%20R_1.jpg

-Page 6-
Pipe_c_1.jpg

Pipe%20C_2.jpg

Pipe_up_1.jpg

.....Got some fabrication done today. Made the brackets for the trans oil cooler and attached them to the condenser frame. While that was out, I also flushed it with solvent in preparation for commissioning the air conditioner. This way I can accomplish that without having to dismantle the front end again just to flush the condenser!

The intercooler brackets support the cooler to the frame horns where the bumper also attaches. The intercooler has two 1/4-20 tapped holes in each end for mounting. The holes are so close together that I had to use socket-head bolts because two 7/16 hex bolts would not fit side by side without binding. Had to get the socket head bolts and cut them to length. Home Depot had them in one length only and beggars can't be choosers as they say... on Sunday evening at 5:45pm...

I put a light dusting of semi-flat black on the visible areas of the intercooler. Yes it was all shiny and pretty but I want this to remain a "sleeper" ....... A big aluminum intercooler is a dead giveaway. :kekeke: The core area is just "dusted" with paint so as not to impede heat transfer.

IC_mount.jpg

IC_mountL.jpg

IC_mountR.JPG

The trans oil cooler was too large and I will have to cut off one more "section" of tubes. Thankfully I have one more tail piece since that is nearly impossible to cut off and weld back on more than once. Also the lines need to be re-bent and re-bracketed to line up with the opening in the body (where the A/C line also goes). I had them pointing downward but that would put the trans oil hoses in a bad bind and caused that area to become too "crowded" with junk. So it will get re-modified tomorrow.

Today I got the Siemens-Deka Mototron injectors installed in my engine. They are small in size but they flow 60 Lb/Hr at stock pressure. That is more than twice the OEM injectors.

Mototron1.jpg

These are flex-fuel injectors. They have to have linear and accurate flow over a very wide range of pulse widths to work with flex fuel vehicles. While my car is not flex-fuel, the wide range of these injectors will allow smooth idle, good milage, and normal emissions while still supporting 500 HP or better.

With this change, I was able to start tuning this thing under a little boost. With the boost solenoid disconnected (the ECM can not raise boost above base setting) the car was still frightening to say the least. The exhaust sound is a little too loud under cruising conditions, but when kicked into passing gear on boost, it is quiet, smooth, and has SERIOUS balls.

It will be quite a journey getting this fully tuned where the ECM can raise boost pressure and really bring it on full tilt. I will have to get and install a 4T65EHD transmission. The old salvage-yard 440T4 does not have a snowballs chance in hell against this engine.

Even though this transmission is temporary, it has to work right. The TV cable melted (in just one day) so I had to make another metal TV cable like my 86 T-Type has. This got the transmission where it shifts out my its self now!

TV_shifter.jpg

TV1.jpg

TV2.jpg

Later,
David

-Page 7-
Well, I had a good day at the salvage yard today! Removed this from a sadly deceased 1997 Supercharged Rivera:

trans_core1.jpg

-Page 7-
trans_core2.jpg

trans_core3.jpg

It is a 4T65E transmission. I am 99% sure it is a HD model with the stronger final drive gears, too. I got the trans, all mounts, brackets, cooler lines, hardware, driveshafts and torque converter. Also got all the harness ends that connect the transmission

The challenging / fun part will be making the full electronic shift transmission work "stand alone" with no input from the engine ECM. I have plans to use a chevy diesel truck stand-alone TCU; reprogrammed.

The instrument cluster will need updating to an electronic speedometer I know.

On the ride home, the torque converter fell out and rolled to the back of the trailer! I almost lost it. The car behind me got a nice oil bath when that thing fell out! It was open side down, and poured about a gallon of old, stinking transmission oil out before I got stopped! :naughty:

I'm going to rebuild this trans and put some good parts in it before using it. This is a 97 which is the first year of the 4T65E, and it may or may not have been rebuilt or updated. The oil in it looks bad.

When I got the 84 Century, it had a 125C. I ditched that in favor of a 440T4. That is not strong enough still; so now I've got the "baddest" transmission that will fit this car without modding the subframe! Next step up from here is getting in Northstar 4T80E territory.

Later,
David

These are the most current pictures of the car. It's running like a top but the transmission needs to be upgraded. I have a core 4T65EHD but have yet to get the transmission ECU or rebuild kit yet.

Got to replace the cracked up coolant bottle, and get the red twisty-wire replaced. That is a connection to the charge air temp sensor. The original harness would not reach the sensor after I relocated it.

Eng1.jpg

Eng2.jpg

Eng3.jpg

Eng4.jpg

Eng5.jpg

I am going to restore this car to look just like it did when new, with all the Olympia badging and chrome trim including the luggage rack. Will be the same yellow color!

I don't want to spend alot of money and time on bodywork until I have the transmission swap done. That way if I ding or nick the car it will not be that bad.

Thanks!
David

Looks good! I done a similar project a few years ago but didn't finish it. I still have all the custom parts just in case I do another project like it again.

cutlasscierawagon

Heck yeah!!! :eek: That's awsome, i wanted to do that to my 87 lesabre T, never got the time though. Looks great. Need to upload some vids;) !

Neat write up... was kind of wondering why you didn't start out with a newer GTP engine/trans and then do a custom turbo kit. It would have been alot easier...
Alot of info and good documentation there... great job on what you've got so far!
Be interesting to see how that electronic trans turns out for you. You could run it off a GTP ECM and use HPTuners to program it.
Cool write up!
Scott~

hey tk this is pure automotive skill at its best i love how people like you do this.i thought doing a top end rebuild,clutch and re-doing the rear on my z28 was special this summer.looking at this is the reason why i love the car hobby.keep it up

Dayyyummm. I'm ashamed to admit that I abandoned a transmission replacement project in my '01 Caddy today because it looked like too much work. Thatsalotta engineering you got going on there.

Jim

I don't think I've seen such an ambitious project undertaking since a guy in high school wanted to put a sbc in a volkswagon beatle. I lost track of him before he completed his project and I've often wondered how he made out. Brave soul you are, and I for one am interested in seeing the final results.

Keep up the good work man, I'll keep reading.

Love it!!! :cool: A FINE example of Alabama engineering acuity!! :biggrin: Keep us informed of the progress! Need VIDEO!!! :)

Subscribed. We have a northstar caddy at work we're parting out. It has shifting problems but I can see what the boss want for it if you're interested.