Lifter Issue?

Black Six

1987 Buick T 3.8 Turbo Stock

Having some noise from the engine. Pulled the valve covers off. Started the engine and noticed oil leaching out of the pushrods, not squirting out. Lifter failure?

It seems to stay the same. Just leaching out of the holes

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If every pushrods has the same amount coming out of them I don't think every lifter would be causing it does the noise decrease when you rev it do you have a oil pressure gauge does your oil pressure increase with rpm what is hot idle oil pressure what weight oil you running does the noise ever go away I would suspect a clearance problem with oil pump not getting the oil up to the top end the oiling systems were not great to start with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had it happen several times not only to our cars had it happen on a couple late60's muscle cars getting harder and harder to maintain older muscle cars with flat tapet cams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of threads on this. bad cam blanks, bad oil, bad lifters--it's a damn shame.

I used Lucas mineral base break in oil. Its a suspect for sure ugh.

Depends. There's many things that can cause a flat cam on a fresh rebuild.

What was your original cause of failure that caused the rebuild in the first place? And how far down did you go with the engine before putting it back together?

Do a search on cam failures. You will find this is a common problem, due to a lot of different causes.

Depends. There's many things that can cause a flat cam on a fresh rebuild.

What was your original cause of failure that caused the rebuild in the first place? And how far down did you go with the engine before putting it back together?

X2

Complete tear down and rebuild. Engine was someones unfinished projecr

I believe the trans went. He pulled the whole thing with intentions to rebuild it all.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Oil just oozing out at idle is normal. Before you tore it down, were all the pushrods spinning?

Even revving nothing. The rockers were all loose too.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app