Lighter blowing fuses

davef

Still Learning
I use the lighter as a USB power source. The original lighter would blow the fuse any time I plugged it in. The same thing happened when I plug in the USB charger. I changed the entire lighter assembly and it still happens. Fuse controls radio, locks, lights. I have been over the forums looking for answer. A short is likely. Just don't know how to go about finding it. Everything in the car is stock.

Car is 87 GN

Any help is appreciated.

I remember reading where on the back of the lighter somewhere, a piece can touch and cause the short.

I haven't check myself.

D

Is the stereo connected to the cig lighter...mine was when I got the car and it melted the orange wire all the way to the fuse box , melted a couple of other wires

Bryan

Check the tabs inside the socket, most likely they 'll have to be bent back up, after you do that just don't push the charger in too far it'll bend them back down and short again...Mike

Check the tabs of one or both look fried on the corners that also can cause the short.

I took the heater part out of the lighter and made a decoration. NEVER looked back and never had another blown fuse in 14 years.

If the hood light is grounded out it can also blow the lighter fuse.

Does your adapter have any metal rings near the end other that the very center? Tape over them.
Then go buy a self resetting blade circuit breaker of the same ampacity as the original fuse.

I have a similar issue thats killing me. I use one of those aftermarket radio tuners to listen to music and it works just fine. As soon as I plug the stock lighter in it blows the fuse. Working on a bluetooth conversion for my stereo and not excited to just have a hole where the stock lighter goes.