Like minded people here?

texasmr2

Allow me to start by saying that I am just thinking out loud, dangerous territory some say.

I am ashamed that it has been 1yr since I volunteered at my local homeless shelter, guess my mother and grandmother made more of a impact than they thought they did. I help serve lunch and work in the kitchen at the Star of Hope and it has been one of the greatest gifts I have ever received. I was once homeless and it sucks.

Some people find out early in life that it is better to "give than to receive", some find it out midway through life, and some are just not lucky enough to ever find out. God Bless you for helping others.

It has only been 5yrs since I started at the Star but over 30yrs since I started repaying when I actually think about it. Several months back on a sunny Saturday I decided it was a good day to just get out for a cruise. I enjoy downtown without all the traffic and passed a homeless person, only had $3 in my pocket. Parked the car and gave those last $3 to three people who could use them more. One of the better days it was.

I tend to only help those closest to me. Like my friend Greg who was just diagnosed with early alzheimer's disease.

He is around 50 and is a great guy with a great family.

I decide since he's been out of work for a year that he and his family needed help. We are having a benefit concert for him. Here is the flyer.

Sorry for the high jack but I guess it pertains to your question.

D

20161013_155647-1.jpg

I tend to only help those closest to me. Like my friend Greg who was just diagnosed with early alzheimer's disease.

I decide since he's been out of work for a year that he and his family needed help. We are having a benefit concert for him. Here is the flyer.

D

View attachment 291105

Kinda ironic that you call yourself "EVIL" . In my opinion you are more like an ANGEL from God Himself. Friends like you are priceless . Yoodah man !

Life is a trip and expression is often viewed as weakness when in reality it is a sign of strength and fortitude. ;)

A couple years ago our local television station did a report on the beggars in our area. Turns out they are making quite a bit of money standing on street corners with a cardboard sign. There are some who are legit but, most are cons. The report suggested that we not give to the homeless because there are agencies who can check them out and help the truly needy. I'm sorry for your friend, I've known a couple people who died of alzheimers.

A couple years ago our local television station did a report on the beggars in our area. Turns out they are making quite a bit of money standing on street corners with a cardboard sign. There are some who are legit but, most are cons. The report suggested that we not give to the homeless because there are agencies who can check them out and help the truly needy.

A news report, LOL!

Judge not as ye are being judged by your actions towards your fellow man/woman/child. ;)

D

View attachment 291105
Way to stand up man good for you.. sorry about your friend, I posted a thread here couple years ago about the same topic, ex's father was diagnosed in his 50's its a complete kick in the balls to have to see someone who has so much to offer relagated to a bathrobe and a chair.. He had to be placed in a home & we were there for dinner on one occasion, they were being fed some unappetizing slop so got in the car picked up his favorite fish and chips from the 99 brought it back & his daughter fed it to him, chewed with his eyes closed you could tell he was grateful, he was in a bad state and passed soon after at age 60 but as you go thru this remember there will always be a piece of him that knows your there even when your most discouraged, your a damn good friend.

Thank you.

Apologies to the OP for the highjack.

I will start my own thread.

thanks
D

I always give to someone standing on the corner. Yes I know some of it is a con, however some is real. Hell I feel like I have more then I need and they have less then they need. It all evens out in the end

Just got back from local grocery store. An elderly woman left her purse in her cart while unloading her groceries. One of the many homeless assholes walked up and grabbed her purse. I got there too late to see it. Lots of folks with scabs all over their faces saw nothing, even though they were 20 feet away. Nope! I help folks that are truly in need not due to their actions. Anyone who hands cash to a sign holder has been scammed.
A few yrs ago, I had a guy walk up and was very pleasant while in line at Jack-in-the-Box and asked me to buy him and his old lady a burger. He asked for food, not money. I said SURE! meet me at the, exit. I ordered a good burger for me and a couple of plain burgers for them. I handed him (no old lady in sight) the burgers and went on my way. Got back to WORK (you know.......the place I have gotten up every morning at 3-4:00am to earn a decent living to provide for my family and donate to REAL folks in need for 32 yrs now). Opened the bag and low and behold, I gave the guy MY sandwich. I laughed and ate the plain burger.
Fast forward a month and I was at Home Depot loading a big supply of materials and the same guy walks up and tells me he is homeless and he and his old lady need help!
I look him in the eye and tell him that he can get a day job @ $10/hr CASH down the street. And that he needs to MAN UP AND PROVIDE HIS "OLD LADY" a decent life. Grow up and be a man!". He just looked down and walked away.
Folks, STOP HANDING YOUR CASH TO SCAMMERS!!!! THEY ALL FOOL YOU! There are great ways to help folks.

Folks, STOP HANDING YOUR CASH TO SCAMMERS!!!! THEY ALL FOOL YOU! There are great ways to help folks.

My cash....my decision and my choice. ;)

What have YOU done lately to help others, wrote a check I assume? I do not care what a person does with the money I give them in person. I only know that I am not selfish.

Last edited:
We've all had different experiences.

I'm with turbo fabricator on this one.

A friend and I stopped at a chicken joint one day for take out. Outside there was a begged. My friend felt bad and bought him a chicken meal. When he handed it to the beggar, the beggar said "what the fuck is this? I want money" and threw it to the ground. He got punched in the face and a swift kick before he ran away.

Most are scumbags so they get nothing.

That's why I only help people I know that deserve it.

If I lost everything today and became homeless, I know at least a dozen people that I couple spend 2 weeks to a month on their couch. That's 6 months to a year of shelter.

I also know another half dozen that would hire me on the spot for 10 to 15 dollars per hour.

That's plenty to get on your feet.

So my question is, how bad have they fucked up in life to have burned all their bridges?

Because of who I am I would be treated accordingly.

And they for who they are.

D

So you are openly admitting to assault as well as playing 'judge and jury' and determining worthiness of need based completely within your mind?

Apologies to the OP for the highjack.

I will start my own thread.

Still waiting.! :p

Dumbfounded is often a big word.

Last edited:
So you are openly admitting to assault as well as playing 'judge and jury' and determining worthiness of need based completely within your mind?

Still waiting.! :p

Dumbfounded is often a big word.

Come on now. I do believe that pertained to the title. :D

D