Limit GT70 P Trim Turbo vs. Precision PT 74HPQH

drdan1341

Help me compare these 2 turbos that are for sale now on the board as I need to pull the trigger on one of them and replace my old Precision TE62. Thanks, Dan.

Limit GT70 P Trim Turbo with Precision .63 exhaust housing
(I went 10.06@138 with this turbo at 25 psi with a 3400 stall and 2004r trans. Car is also full weight. This turbo spools almost instantly!) Limited87

vs.

Precision PT 74HPQH p/n PTB 600-1850 it has a .85 a/r Precision Exhaust
(It is a three bolt. It was in a GN with .030 over stock block with hyd roller, ported heads, Big Stuff 3 with 83lb injecters. High tens on pump gas @ 122 with 19 to 20lbs., Stall was 2800 & down pipe was Terry Houston style and it was 3 1/2 in.) V6QUICK

The 74 is a bigger turbo, and will support alot more power. The times given for the 70 are a pretty well tuned combo, high 9's have been done with a 70 P-trim, but low 10's are most common. The times given for the 74 leave alot on the table. The 74hpq can go deep in the 9's.
The 70 would be alot better on the street. If you are looking for a 10 sec turbo, go with the 70. If you want to go 9's, go with the 74. If you over turbo for your goals, you will hate your car on the street.

Hats off to limited87 and those pt70 times. You need to know more about his combo to see if you can run like that. I agree with the 2nd poster.

Ed, I'm still running that TE62 that you and Craig Brown help me put on when I lived up there in Castro Valley. The turbine side has a broken bolt that I am having lasered out...carbide EZ Outs don't drill out very easily, and I was thinking what a great time for an upgrade. Too many fast Supras running around here in Phoenix so I want to at least run somewhere in the mid 10's and trap close to 130, what would you recommend? Dan.

Unless you've changed your combo from years ago, you'll need a good converter for whichever turbo you get. You had an Orange Stripe when you were a temporary Kalifornia resident. ;)

Alright, here is the engine trans combo....
109, forged JE pistons, ported polished heads, plenum and intake, RJC plate, welded EGR, 218/218 cam, hooker headers and downpipe with the deltagate, ATR liquid intercooler (yes it stays cooler than my friend's front mounts on and off the street), TE62 turbo, single 3", built trans with all the good stuff and a 3500 stall non lockup 10" converter, 3.42 gears, MSD 50's with a 60lb Siemen in the 7th injector, always on race gas. Last time I raced it which was years ago on a smaller combo it went low 11's at 123 @ 22 lbs if I remember right on Nitto DR's.

I forgot all about the orange stripe. One thing that I've learned over the years is if I read that something is too big for the street, then it is about right for me. I remember wasting my time with the small cam, smaller turbo, orange stripe, etc. and it never had that punch, much less trying to spool that TE62 with an orange stripe at Palmdale...that didn't work. After going to the high stall, big turbo (at the time), big cam, I have maybe a second to make sure that the thing is pointed straight before it gets almost uncontrollable. Dan.

Sounds like a winner. Same heads or completely new combo? Wanna race? I'm with you. Go bigger. ;)

Why only these two turbos?

The p-trim is rather old tech. Is your engine girdled or have steel caps installed.

Putting on a big turbo may results in a lot of down time :mad: If you do not have sufficient fuel and tune to go along.

another thought:
I have a low 10 street car on methanol, I drive it a lot. I run the billet 71 journal bearing. I must say it is a brute, but I had to learn how to get on it long before these LS and 4V motors drop the hammer. Meaning if you still want a decent street car manners, I suggest compromising. Also, I had hooker headers for years, I made the switch to a good new style and man that makes a big difference in turbo response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORTx1hbe4sQ