'49 Mercury (chopped of course)
'32 Ford Roadster (highboy)
'66 Nova (chevy II)
'59 El Camino
'63 Impala
'59 Caddy
'70 'Cuda
'63 Corvette (Split window)

the 427 being a CJ must have been a typo or just misinformed only one number different and both are big blocks but really different. I talked to my father also and he said the CJ really was just "tuned" versions of the regular engines (better cam, better breating heads, etc.) He had a 428 CJ in a 66 Fairlane with 4 spd and 3.90 that he used to race at Sears Point. He blew that motor and came across a Boss 302 (this is all in late 70's) and dropped it in and went even faster. He learned then bigger wasn't always better.

Anyway, one of the COOLEST if not the absolute COOLEST would be the 49-51 Mercury coupes, especially choppedand slammed, then probably almost anysreet rod but especially Model A's and the likes. ;) ;)

Sunbeam Tiger, and my ABSOLUTE favorite, yes even more so than my TR, is a 1969 Rambler Scrambler! ! ! !

It's probably the only car more under estimated and under appreciated than the turbo Buicks. Not quite so understated though.:D

ADAM

How bout the cosworth vega............little tiny car w/ a hopped up 4 cyl. :eek: could this have been the birth of the RICER :p

I can't believe nobody put the 1969 Chevy Camaro RS/SS with the DZ302 and 4-speed....... :confused:

Also can't forget the very early 60's Olds with the turbo-charged Buick 215 aluminum block v-8 or the early pontiac tempest with the 4bbl, inline 4 and IRS posi rear-end.

Originally posted by Hammer
I was trying to explain to my wife what makes a car cool.Then i thought why not start a list of cool cars.doesnt have to highest hp or lowest et just cool. obviously gn-t-type ,68 mustang fastback ,like the one in bullet(only),55 chevy/gmc pickup,???
Any first gen Camaro with the RS option and a big block.

Originally posted by mytyphoon1993
1993 GMC Typhoon , and the 1967 Shelby Elanor Mustang
What about the early Hertz optioned Mustang? I always thought this was a really cool idea.

Originally posted by pat83t
I can't believe nobody put the 1969 Chevy Camaro RS/SS with the DZ302 and 4-speed....... :confused:
I posted before I read your reply. Can I replace the DZ engine with a big block? Sorry, I'm kind of impartial to my own car... :cool:

I saw this car on MY CLASSIC CAR on speedvision ,it was one of Jay Lenos cars,dont know what it was called but it was steam powered.Jay said it made like 800 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels,and would spin the rim inside the tire.It was also super quiet ,that thing was cool.

87 dodge omni glh turbo
any shelby cobra

Originally posted by olds443
The Cobra Jets were all 428's and 429's, no 427's. They also made 429 Super Cobra Jets. These came in Mustangs and Torino's and I think that is all.

They were in Rancheros, Cougars and Cyclones also.

Some Shelby GT500 mustangs did have 427's in them.

They were in Rancheros, Cougars and Cyclones also.

Some Shelby GT500 mustangs did have 427's in them

Thanks,I forgot about the Cyclones ad Cougars, didn't know about Ranchero's though. Some may have misread my previous comment about the 427. I didn't mean that they didn't come in any of the mentioned cars just that if it was a 427 it wasn't a CJ. Some people get Cobra, Shelby and Cobra Jet all mixed up and think they are the same when they aren't.

Aren't the 429 and 460 a different engine famiy from the 390, 427 and 428, much like the Windsor and Cleavland?

camaro

Pat I did metion the 302 RS, they were only available in the Z. The SS was only offered with the 350 until 82(?).

Tom

One more:1966 Impala 427.

And a second for the SC/Rambler. Understated they were not! But very quick indeed.

nice choices guys, one of my friends dads had a Sc rambler for a while, i believe it was the B scheme, the one that was mostly white? anyways it was a quick little car but high 13s at best on a great day, i don't think they are underated just unknown

Re: camaro

Originally posted by THE ARS
Pat I did metion the 302 RS, they were only available in the Z. The SS was only offered with the 350 until 82(?).

Tom

One more:1966 Impala 427.

And a second for the SC/Rambler. Understated they were not! But very quick indeed.
Actually incorrect. The 302 was only available in the Z/28 option. An RS with a 302 (DZ block) is a Z/28/RS car. Is you look in the assembly book the option code for the 302 engine is RPO-Z28, hence the name (think it was RPO for regular production order), COPO was the "special book"... :) When you have a car that has 2 options the option containing the highest HP gets the badging. Z/28 being first, then SS then RS. An RS with the Z/28 option would have Z/28 emblems with hideaway headlights (RS option). An SS with RS options would have SS emblems with hideaway headlights.

On the SS front. In the first gen cars the SS was available in either HO 350 trim or 396 big block. People always associate them with the 350’s because few could afford both the SS option as well as the big block. I believe starting in 1970 they may have limited the "SS" option to only the 350. I know cause I have one. My 1969 Camaro is an SS/RS 396 4-speed car, only about 1200 cars produced I believe. If you see an “SS” with the back light panel painted flat black, it’s a big block car. All big blocks had the rear tail light panel painted flat black and they all came with 12-bolt 4:10 or better gearing in the ’69 Camaro’s, no exceptions unless it was dealer installed. It’s been a long time since I've looked it up since I've owned the car for 20 years now. I really don't know about the Camaro's produced after 1969.

Re: Re: camaro

Originally posted by TurboDiverArt
Actually incorrect. The 302 was only available in the Z/28 option. An RS with a 302 (DZ block) is a Z/28/RS car. Is you look in the assembly book the option code for the 302 engine is RPO-Z28, hence the name (think it was RPO for regular production order), COPO was the "special book"... :) When you have a car that has 2 options the option containing the highest HP gets the badging. Z/28 being first, then SS then RS. An RS with the Z/28 option would have Z/28 emblems with hideaway headlights (RS option). An SS with RS options would have SS emblems with hideaway headlights.

Wouldn't a '67 (or even a '68) Z/28 with a Rally Sport Package just have RS badging/hideaway headlights and stripes with no Z/28 badging?

Visually it would be an RS with a 302, especially if it hase been repainted.

My neigbor in Wichita Falls had a '68 RS Camaro for sale 10 years ago and it had 302 badges. He had no idea it was a Z/28.

'70 Challenger T/A - gotta love a 340 with six barrels :D
ANY 71 'Cuda I don't care if it has a straight 6
70s and early 80s Sunbirds and Monzas - Mine had a Pontiac 400, doors rusted shut so you had to climb in the windows or rear hatch. That car was fun.
Any old car that you could pick up for $20 and beat the hell out of for a few days was cool.

Re: Re: Re: camaro

Originally posted by UNGN
Wouldn't a '67 (or even a '68) Z/28 with a Rally Sport Package just have RS badging/hideaway headlights and stripes with no Z/28 badging?

Visually it would be an RS with a 302, especially if it hase been repainted.

My neigbor in Wichita Falls had a '68 RS Camaro for sale 10 years ago and it had 302 badges. He had no idea it was a Z/28.
I know definitely for 1969 it would have had Z/28 badging, I thought it was the same for the earlier 2 years as well.

If it was a 68 Z/28/RS it was probably worth a lot of money if it had a matching DZ block. An original Z is easy to tell, as I'm pretty sure you can decipher it from the firewall plate. Plus the 302 engine will have “DZ” near either the starter or oil filter and the block number will match the car. With an SS you really can't tell. You can only tell the car came with rocker sills or something stupid like that. Seems silly to put the coding for a rocker sill mldg. but not an SS. Luckily very few cars came with sills that were not an SS so you can be reasonably sure if the car had sills that it was in fact an SS. There is simply no way to know an original RS other than if it has the RS rear lower valance and you can check to see if it's still got the factory spot-welds. No factory spot-welds and you have no idea without the build sheet. People say you can find them under the seats, in the door panels, behind the radio or glove box, etc. I've owned quite a few 1969 Camaro's and I have yet to find one.... :-(