Location of WB o2?

darb

Wanting to know where the ideal place to mount the WB o2 may be? Heard conflicting stories. Have heard 12 inches down the downpipe from the turbo, bottom curve of the downpipe, in the test pipe....anyone share their experiences? Thanks

Wow, I have seen most about 6 to 12 inches from the turbine housing.

With all the coments about the 02 sensor over heating and going bad it wouldn't be a bad idea to put it down by the test pipe. When driving or racing it would get cooled down by the wind under the car. The only down side I see to this is how can you properly tune your car when it is that far down the down pipe. I would think the closer it is to the turbo that you would get a better read on the tune.

Later

Originally posted by John Wilde
Wow, I have seen most about 6 to 12 inches from the turbine housing.
Same here. More specificaly on top of the down pipe...the exhaust will rise so even under normal driving conditions the sensor will get most of the exhaust.

I was told to mount my Innovative wbo2 at the bottom of the dp or test pipe, have many others done this?
I was told it does not need the underhood heat, kind of makes sence because most dynos place them in your tail pipe.

Any input?

Originally posted by Cheeseburger
I was told to mount my Innovative wbo2 at the bottom of the dp or test pipe, have many others done this?
I was told it does not need the underhood heat, kind of makes sence because most dynos place them in your tail pipe.
Any input?

The actual sensing element runs at 850dC, or about 1,600dF. Mount it too close to the engine, and it runs tooo hot.
They're effected by back pressure, so pre turbo with any street sized turbo skews the results.
Mounting them too far downstream, adds some lag to the response if you data logging, it might be just .1sec but you need to remember that when looking at the data, and makeing fuel changes.

The combustion process generates ALOT of water, and carbon. Like on an early morning start when you see that water / carbon pool under the tail pipe when you start the car. You want to be close enough that the water is still steam, rather then droplets.

I've run sensors in all the locations, and run two at a time to be able to compare notes on what the different locations act like.