lockup switch

turbo buicks

ESADAH!!!
to run a manual lockup switch do i run a wire from the upper left terminal on the ALDL connector to one terminal on the switch and then a wire from the other switch terminal to the upper right terminal on the ALDL connector? also, when i race i will flip the switch so it locks in 2nd so do i just leave it in D or put it in OD to race? dome say put it in D and some say leave it in OD.

Torque Converter

This is copyed straight from GNTTYPE.ORG hope it help's w/your ?'s

Locking up the torque converter manually has been shown to improve ET's by up to .2 seconds and add 2 MPH to your trap speed in the quarter mile. By activating this switch at the starting line, fluid will travel to the converter forcing lockup once the transmission hits second gear (there is no fluid path to converter while in 1st or reverse.) Yes, this is hard on the converter and transmission, but so is racing in general.
The switch will ground the TCC circuit regardless of ECM request.

To install, run a wire from a ground location to one end of the switch and run another wire from the other end of the switch to terminal F on the ALDL connector under the radio pod. (As you are looking at the ALDL connector, terminal F is at the top left.) The easiest way to do the connection is to splice into the wire behind the connector.

Remember to flip the switch to the Off position once you are through the quarter mile to avoid unnecessary lockup, wear-and-tear, etc. With the switch in the Off position, the converter will only lockup when the ECM commands it to lockup. Note that this retains the Brake pedal override.

thanks:) where was that on gnttype.org? i looked everywhere for it. so should i leave it in D or OD? and is there another terminal on the ALDL connector that can be used as the ground b/c i thought i read somewhere that one of the terminals is a ground? thanks:)

Use the upper left and upper right terminals.

When racing, leave the car in D, so long as it doesn't exceed about 5,000 RPM in the traps.

If it does, shift it into OD.

You are trying to strike a balance - the most tranny gear without over-reving the motor - which is a low reving animal.

The TC will lock when the switch is closed AND the car shifts into 2nd. It CAN NOT lock in 1st, even if the switch is closed...

Be aware locking the TC is hard on it and the driveline.

:D

Leave it in D while your racing. As soon as you go threw the traps and lift off the gas, put it in OD.

Hope you have a tranny cooler. Locking the converter is very hard on your tranny.
:cool:

Isn't it better to just lock the converter once you're in 3rd gear?
That way the engine doesn't bog down when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd.

Originally posted by Dan K
Isn't it better to just lock the converter once you're in 3rd gear?
That way the engine doesn't bog down when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd.

It may bog some cars down, but my car would pickup .2 and 2 mph in the 1/8th mile by locking it at the line (lockup after the 1-2 shift). It's hard on the TC, but D5's are relatively cheap and you'll probably replace it anyway :)