Log posted, weird surging...any advice please?

mikes86ttop

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Im not sure if this is what is needed to read a log..it is my first attempt. on my way home from work I caught some new, weird boost issue.. it only seems to do it part throttle during highway speeds, 70+ or so... any insight would be awesome.. I can put it to the floor from stop and it'll settle right at 16lbs, and everything is fine...lots of stuff was changed over the winter so trouble shooting may be tough...TIA...thanks Mike

Attachments

• test2.510.dat
    2.2 MB · Views: 79
sig is not up to date, im working on an uncooperative laptop at the moment...Mike

Signature updated...Mike

Last edited:
Mike I don't know if its just my phone but when I click your file it starts to download then says file can't be opened, not that I could give you any useful advice just saying not sure if people are seeing the file..

For powerlogger files, you have to read it with the powerlogger software. I can read it fine.

I have seen this problem before with collapsing intake hoses, or leaking intercooler hoses. If you have a flexible intake hose, it could be sucking shut.

Capturepp.JPG

Thanks Eric, I'll check over all connections and hoses. I do have a solid maf pipe, with all new couplers. Besides that how does everything else look? Thanks Mike

I've checked over everything, and all seems well. One thing I did swap back to was the k&n at the end of the maf, opposed to the 4" big mouth kit. Both intakes had same reaults,.. Any help would be much appreciated...thanks Mike

Possible turbo surge. If you light foot the throttle the turbo will produce more boost than the engine can digest causing turbo to surge. The bigger the turbo the more this becomes a problem. If you push the throttle down harder does it clear up?

What happens if you do a WOT pull in 3rd gear? Get a log if you can.

Rick

This only happens at 65+mph, I have logs that were only 3rd gear and none of this happens..also from a dead stop, all seems good. I can light foot it, or floor it it'll still happen...Mike

Don't know if it applies here, but when I bought my te44 from cottons they asked which down pipe I had, they ported out the hole to for the size of the rjc puck to reduce boost creep

I agree on the turbo surge. The tps is quite low in that log and the boost is quite high for that tps level!
The graphs are a perfect display of turbo surge.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Thanks for the replies guys!!!...what would be the next steps reccomended? If any...thanks Mike

My old combo would get surging at 13psi. I either let out to keep it lower or pushed to get through 13 as quick as it would go. I did use a Tornado for a while. It seemed to work.

Tell us about your waste gate set up. Is it stock style gate and actuator? Standard or hd actuator and where is the boost currently set to?

Stock turbo, ported inlet& compressor, 3"rjc dp, std adj. actuator, rjc manual boost controller. Actuator is less than 1/8" from puck, currently 15-16lbs.

Here I'm thinking you have a big turbo with a hd actuator and the boost cranked up. Totally the opposite.

How tight is the rjc valve adjusted? You could try to eliminate it altogether and run the boost line direct to the actuator. That would allow the gate to ramp open vs holding it shut until the rjc valve pops it open.

Stock stuff here, i tried it today without the rjc controller. With the rod adjusted an 1/8" to the puck i was at 13lbs. Very consistent. Not being on the highway I could only get up to a cruising speed of about 50mph, I gave her a couple easy roll on's and a couple wot's in third and could not get the surge to happen.. We'll see what happens on the highway @ 65+, possibly tomorrow..
Mike