lookin for some help

carrddine

boost junky
as you know I blew the headgasket last weekend going to H B and my question is what are some feelings on just replacing the gasket or doing a complete rebuild on the engine? The car has 150,000 on it,it was owned by a woman and when I purchased the car it didnt even have a rear main leak,oil pressure is at 20-22 psi in park and about 18-20 in drive -HOT-I was thinking of just doing the rjc gasket, timing chain, and valve springs. But I would like some other opinions,it doesnt matter to me either way.I just want to make the right choice the first time.Some say just do the gasket,chain,valve springs,and be done.What do you guys think? keep in mind I will be installing a cas v4 intercooler and a 63 turbo, also to that I am looking to get some new headers as the drivers side is cracked...when the gasket went the oil pressure stayed the same is that also common? I thought that if a gasket went you would loose oil pressure,maybe im wrong.......

well.....all I can say is you cant go wrong with anything RJC sells.....especially there HG kit....from what I have heard it is great.

carrddine said:
as you know I blew the headgasket last weekend going to H B and my question is what are some feelings on just replacing the gasket or doing a complete rebuild on the engine? The car has 150,000 on it,it was owned by a woman and when I purchased the car it didnt even have a rear main leak,oil pressure is at 20-22 psi in park and about 18-20 in drive -HOT-I was thinking of just doing the rjc gasket, timing chain, and valve springs. But I would like some other opinions,it doesnt matter to me either way.I just want to make the right choice the first time.Some say just do the gasket,chain,valve springs,and be done.What do you guys think? keep in mind I will be installing a cas v4 intercooler and a 63 turbo, also to that I am looking to get some new headers as the drivers side is cracked...when the gasket went the oil pressure stayed the same is that also common? I thought that if a gasket went you would loose oil pressure,maybe im wrong.......
It really depends on your budget. With a 150000 miles on the engine, I would do the rebuild and have the heads and the block squared up. I know it is a lot of work and time, but in the end it would be worth it.
Jeff

Jeff Rand said:
It really depends on your budget. With a 150000 miles on the engine, I would do the rebuild and have the heads and the block squared up. I know it is a lot of work and time, but in the end it would be worth it.
Jeff

I agree, If you have the money to do it.

Ditto.

Do it right now rather than doing it over later.

Neal

Jeff Rand said:
Jeff

Man just buy a Pinto and stop Playin!!!

take that V6 out of the buick hehehehe, and put it in a Pinto hehehehehee, and then it will be SuperV6Pinto, hehehehehe. I'll be over tomorrow, maybe I'll be wrenching with you and the other Mr. B.

Go For It

By the time you have your car stripped down to pull the heads and change the head gaskets, you are probably only an hour from being able to pull the engine out anyway (Ask me how i know....lol)

I too thought I had popped a headgasket on my recent rebuild when i saw some traces of water in the oil, air bubbling in the radiator, and floating crap in the overflow bottle.

I also had a issue with smoking on take off and at hot idle

I pulled the valve covers and I found 5 lifted valve stem seals (wrong size installed by BPE Racing Heads....Thanks) and 2 broken spring dampners (explained the smoke), but when i pulled the heads off (thanks to the ARP studs with allen head receivers), the headgaskets were intact and not blown.

At that point, I wanted to see blown head gaskets real bad....I wanted carnage, I wanted to justify why I had just spent 5 hours taking apart my new rebuild down to the bare block only to find that the headgaskets were fine....

I guess I would have been OK just retorquing the heads, but who knew. At least I know for sure that the GN1 heads can be removed and replaced with the engine in the car without to much trouble.....(yeah right!)

Now if i can only remember where all these 200 odd nuts & bolts, brackets, and wiring connectors go I'll be set...lol

Both of my new headgaskets are back on

Both of the heads are installed and have received their initial torque of 1 zillion foot pounds

I'll cycle the torque 4 or 5 more times over the next week before i slap everything else back on

Plus i was able to swap out the .85 exhaust housing off the GTQ71 turbo for a new .63 housing so i should be spooling my fool a$$ off

I hope to get out to HB for the Saturday Donut show soon

Best regards

Ray

The engine is all taken apart

He found oil everywhere and one blown headgasket on the drivers side. Thanks for the advice to all that replyed, but he's in it to win it now. Oh yeah one blown or cracked manifold also.

Anything to avoid giving me my donuts!!! :mad:

-Good luck on puting all of that mess back together, I'll be out of the country... :D

Oh I see how it is, I see how you do the competition

Better yet your Boy, You help him take all the engine apart and then leave him high and dry, Hmmmmm. I really hope you are going to help him put all that back together. :cool: I know you are just playing. Besides I can find you out of the country, anywhere, anytime, hehehehehheee, Dont run, just help. Oh yeah the car club name," Help you take your car apart and then bounce on you forever." :confused: Just kidden havent thought of one Yet, the Laser's are eating up my brain.

Yea the passenger side HG went so far theres no debri in the overflow and no water in the oil and thankfully I didnt get a milkshake out of this one..And to give all a update as to whats going on Ill put in a rjc gasket,new ported polished heads,timing chain, billet thermostat housing,thermostat,oil pan gasket front/rear seal,intake gasket,valve cover gasket,hoses,63 turbo,cas v4 intercooler,very soon a new pts 3000 stall L/U converter Ill need some help with that one as Ive never done a converter before...Ill see ya soon mr B the fast one..And thanks to turbo39151 for all the help.And ill tell ya what,when shes back up and runnin and I blow you away like I did to the vette the night before,just for being a good sport Ill get the tab for the donuts :biggrin: