Looking at a GN tomorrow

usrg75

I am looking at a Grand National tomorrow and a member on here suggested to bring a TB veteran with me. I know the basics and them some but after looking at some of the threads, I have so much to learn. I have been wanting one of these cars for such a long time and finally have the opportunity to purchase one and I don't want to get screwed in the deal. Perhaps someone might even be familiar with the GN and I can get positive or negative info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
do your homework. lots of variables affect values. this forum a good place to start. NADA book values also a good starting point, but condition is everything and add on race goodies and it gets complicated in a hurry. 86/87 are the most desirable yrs, as earlier years were not intercooled and had other performance short comings in stock dress. Lots of tired beat GNs out there, better to find a well cared for one. they are more money up front but less money in the long run.

Looked at the car today. Mostly stock. 48XXX miles. New paint about ten years ago. Interior is in great shape. Body is straight and paint looks great. The only problem is the rear body fillers that need to be replaced. A/C is still the R12 and the compressor leaks. The rear main seal leaks and I think that is a common problem. T-Tops look great! Could use new weather stripping on the T-Tops but nothing urgent. Ran great. Numbers all checked out. The antenna no longer goes down but he has a replacement. Not sure how hard that is to do. It has been well maintained. It does not have power windows or concert sound. It has a clean Carfax. He wants around $13k. Sound right?

Seems like they're could be a better deal. IMO, maybe offer him 10 cash on the spot or walk away....
He has been offered the 10K and he will not take it. He is the 2nd owner on it and he has taken good care of it. Hasn't seen a raindrop in 13 years. Based on cars I have seen on Craigslist and EBay, it seems they go for more that the 13K. Am I missing something?

Ok, I've just seen better deals come across the forum. There's a WH1 on here right now that runs in the 11's for 13.5k. I bought my GN 2 years ago as a roller with some goodies for 4k. Not saying the price is much out of the ballpark, but he would have to meet me at about 11.5k maybe before I bit.... Sounds like a solid car though.

Ok, I've just seen better deals come across the forum. There's a WH1 on here right now that runs in the 11's for 13.5k. I bought my GN 2 years ago as a roller with some goodies for 4k. Not saying the price is much out of the ballpark, but he would have to meet me at about 11.5k maybe before I bit.... Sounds like a solid car though.
I was thinking about 11.5K too. I have no plans to really race it. I would like to keep it stock as much as I can. Doesn't that help the value in some cases? Also, does it affect the value if it has been repainted?

If you can leave it stock, your a better man than me . The repaint shouldn't affect value, unless it was on the auction block at barret Jackson it's a positive. These cars are notorious for thin, checking bad paint. If you bought a car with original paint, odds are you'd be forking out the 5-15,000 for a paint job shortly after you bought the car...

If you can leave it stock, your a better man than me . The repaint shouldn't affect value, unless it was on the auction block at barret Jackson it's a positive. These cars are notorious for thin, checking bad paint. If you bought a car with original paint, odds are you'd be forking out the 5-15,000 for a paint job shortly after you bought the car...
Does installing upgrades increase the value? I think that is a loaded question.

Yes and no. It depends on what the owner is looking for. I have yet to see upgrades hurt value yet tho because somebody ALWAYS wants to go faster.

Yes and no. It depends on what the owner is looking for. I have yet to see upgrades hurt value yet tho because somebody ALWAYS wants to go faster.
I'm am all about going faster, I thought stock GN would appreciate more. Thank you for all your help and advice!!

No problem, I am by no means an expert, just speaking from what I've seen and learned over the past few years. Make the car the way you want your car. That's what makes these things fun to drive...

This car probably has 152000 miles vs the 48000 on the car I saw today. Does that make a difference?

Ok prob. But here's an example. I read an article in motor trend (May have been another magazine) about the most valued muscle cars "of tomorrow" the GN was one of them. It will be a while before were all getting 30-35k for our GN's but it'll happen. Take a chevelle for example you can have a wrenched on unoriginal plain jane chevelle with a built big block go for 30k all day. On the flip side you can find a somewhat clean original for the same price (assuming it's not a fancy option code). Why? Because somebody will always buy a fast car for big money. It's a grand national not a gnx, it'll never be a 100,000 car. Have fun with it. If the car you were looking at had full bolt-ons he'd prob still be asking 13k just because that's what these are going for right now.

Ok prob. But here's an example. I read an article in motor trend (May have been another magazine) about the most valued muscle cars "of tomorrow" the GN was one of them. It will be a while before were all getting 30-35k for our GN's but it'll happen. Take a chevelle for example you can have a wrenched on unoriginal plain jane chevelle with a built big block go for 30k all day. On the flip side you can find a somewhat clean original for the same price (assuming it's not a fancy option code). Why? Because somebody will always buy a fast car for big money. It's a grand national not a gnx, it'll never be a 100,000 car. Have fun with it. If the car you were looking at had full bolt-ons he'd prob still be asking 13k just because that's what these are going for right now.
Points taken! I was at the auto show here in Charlotte and saw exactly what you said. Nova's with a Lumina (or something close) console and shifter, crap interior or paint going for $30K. I wish I was kidding but I saw three of them like this. Then you still have to dump money into paint or interior. I thought having a complete nice car would be worth more. Your response definitely helped me see things better. Thanks again for your help!