Looking for a Regal GS (SC), Riviera SC, or a GTP...

Turbojorge

Unstoppable
to be my new daily driver. (The GN needs to rest.) I was thinking of getting it to go mid 13's on motor and Bolt-ons, high 12's on some juice. I would prefer the lightest one out of all (?). My budget is between 10 and 12K. Which of the aboved mentioned would be best for me?

I'm not really ready to buy yet, just doing some homework?

How hard is it to get these cars to go 13's with bolt-ons? How realiable are they? I ASSume the tranny becomes a problem after a certain point right? When?

TIA
:cool:

I would stay with the Gp or Regal, and give the nod to the Gp. Of course I'm slightly biased since I have two of them. The Regals make great sleepers, but I don't personally like the looks. You should be able to find a nice 98'-99' in your price range. Mid 13's are fairly easy to obtain without much headaches. It all depends on how much money you have to spend for mods. High 13's are easy to hit for dirt cheap, but to get lower you need to spend a little bit of money. Especially in the exhaust area, thats where it gets a little pricey.

The trannies are fine unless you plan on taking it to the track every week and beating the hell out of it. One wheel burnouts will cause an early demise. When you do buy one, check out clubgp.com for some good info. Might even be able to find a car there too.

Thanks!

What does your car weigh?

Also, If you don't mind me asking, what kind of mods do you have to run 12.7's @ 106? That is awesome!

I prefer the look of the GP's too.

I don't plan on racing it at the track that much, thats what the GN is for. Just want something to beat up on the occational rustang and my friends 4 door Cadilac with a Corvett LT1 (yes, out of a 96 vett) with NOS.

Is that GTPworld.com site (or something of that nature) any good? It take forever to load.

Thanks

If you arent super hooked on the GPs looks, I would do a price comparison. When my brother was looking there was around a 4-5k difference for the same year similar miles car. Thats like a 20% difference. Just a thought.

The car has not had any weight reductions, and it is around 3500lbs. It has quite a bit of mods, mostly old school stuff. Newer mods are greatly improved so the car still holds much potential. If I would add a cam and heads, it would be in the elevens. I just don't know if the reliability factor would go away at those speeds, since this is a daily driver except in winter.

It has: 2.9 pulley, mag.snout, s-port blower housing, 1.9 rockers, TOG headers, 3" possibly catless exhaust;) , RAT stage II TB, colder plugs & thermostat, re-programmed computer, Thrasher Intercooler, compu-cool, MSP CAI, and some other minor stuff.

Clubgp is the best site, the other sort of sucks(IMO). Good luck finding the right car!

Originally posted by GotBoost?

It has: 2.9 pulley, mag.snout, s-port blower housing, 1.9 rockers, TOG headers, 3" possibly catless exhaust;) , RAT stage II TB, colder plugs & thermostat, re-programmed computer, Thrasher Intercooler, compu-cool, MSP CAI, and some other minor stuff.

Where do you buy all that stuff? Which Vendors?

Scott, I think you need a full disclosure for that 11.1 second pass.;) Don't get any hopes up for us simple blown cars.

Jorge- also check out zzperformance.com, gpstore.com, 3800performance.com.

Thanks Guys.

What do you guys use to monitor the motor for rich, lean, KR, and other vital things? (Like our Scanmaster)

Originally posted by Turbojorge
Thanks Guys.

What do you guys use to monitor the motor for rich, lean, KR, and other vital things? (Like our Scanmaster)

They sell Scanmasters for the L67 as well. Personally I like the Autotap software because it lets you log many different things and clear and read codes if you ever happen to get any.

Autotap and Scanmaster here

Have you ever considered a '96-'97 Bonneville SE supercharged? My dad has a [black] one and it has a lot of neat pluses:

1.) Weighs only "3550 lbs." (3710 lbs. with me in it and all reservoirs at full including fuel). My dad got the minimum model ("SE") and the minimum options ("SLE option pkg" and nothing else). Hence it's a hardtop sleeper/manual passenger seat/6-way power driver seat.

2.) It looks like a rental which makes it more of a sleeper (beat friends in '96 Mustangs, '97 Eclipse GSX turbo with off-road pipe, HKS exhaust, and intake mod, and '92 MR2 Turbo all with extreme ease).

3.) Less restrictive appearing large volume intake box (devoid of sharp turn in/out of the airbox seen in Regal GS and GTPs) and devoid of the U-bends seen in some of the other L67 powered cars.

4.) Rare as heck. Base Bonnevilles were avail. with supercharged engine options only in 1995-1997. 1995 had 225 hp and the Eaton M62. 1996 and 1997 had the Eaton M90s and 240 hp. The 1997s also had the quieter 4T65-Es (with higher shiftpoints?) and access to aftermarket tuning is more widely available. These base model supercharged models were unpopular and the day we took delivery, the salespeople not directly involved with the deal were scratching their heads why our lightly optioned S/C SE Bonneville was less $$$ than N/A SE Bonnevilles laden with 12-way seats/moonroof/computer command ride, etc. and far less than SSEis. I only saw one 1995 on the road. I saw a 1996 advertised in the paper at a dealer clearance sale. And that's it!!! I won't be surprised if less than 300 1996-1997 L67 SE Bonnevilles were ever made. These cars also have traction control not avail. on early '97 GTPs and the traction control is tremendous with amazingly fast action in slippery surfaces (doesn't kill the car's power with slow recovery of power like some other traction control systems).

5.) Rear suspension has damper and spring on different axis. Hence I fitted $60 AirLift airbags and pumped them up to 35 psi at the strip and down to 3 psi on the street. That cannot be done on Regal GS and GTPs (unless somehow you have a donut shaped sleeve/airbag around the damper like some import applications). Allows consistent 2.13-2.14 sec. 60 foots on majorly crappy for drag racing Eagle GAs.

Results (100% stock right down to paper filter)
Best 1/4 mile: 14.525 @ 94.06 mph (half dozen or more timeslips in 14.5s). Done in 60 deg. F air and good baro. and full tank of 93.
Best trap speed: 94.7 mph (41 deg. F air) on pump 93/ 96.2 mph with race gas and propylene oxide mix
1/4 mile time in 78 deg. F muggy air: 14.84 @ 91.8 mph and tight new engine
Best 60 foot: 2.09 on Eagle GAs
All this with stock shiftpoint of 5200-5400 rpm!!!!!

Now I think with K&N drop-in filter, stickier Yokohamas AVS dB radials, and Castrol Syntec transfluid it should run 14.4s on a cool night. Torque convertor stalls at 3200 rpm indicated!!!

Post your E-mail and I'll send you a pic of the car (not for sale, but you can get an idea of what I mean).

383LT1,

That sounds real good. Send any info my way (pics would be great too).

Jorge_p80@hotmail.com

Thanks Bud.

Also, guys, like I stated above, I'm not ready to buy yet. You can send me pics of your beautiful cars but I'm not ready yet. Please, do not send me any more offers.

If you would go the Bonne way stick with the 97. The 97's came with the HD trans and the PCM has more memory for custom upgrades. 383LT1 is right about going with the base with supercharged engine. It is almost 200lbs. lighter than my SSEi.

Personally, I would go with the Regal because I like the sleeper look. Plus, around here it is hard to get into races with the Bonne. It confuses people when I smoke the front tires if I hit it below 20mph. Although cops don't even give the car a second look.

Ken

Hey Jorge if you want you can just sit and my car cause I ahve a set of bonneville seats in my car. That way you can get a feel for them;) ... 12 way!!!!:D