looking for good combo

svtnos

hello people,

well i still feel very new to my grand national. what im looking for is what is a really good, reliable combo for my needs. what im looking to do keep my GN streetable and looking for ETs in the low 11s/high 10s. i dont know how realistic this is but any info on what parts to get, and where to get them from would be awesome.

current mods are adjustable fuel pressure regulator, fp gauge, k&n, test pipe, 3in ss exhaust, walbro fuel pump and hot wire kit. im going to order the scan tool this week hopefully.

thanks a lot!!

IMHO here is what you need to go where you want go:

TE60 turbo
50 lb injectors
chip for your combo
ported heads - stockers would be fine for your goals
3200 - 3400 stall convertor
bigger intercooler - a good stock location unit or a front mount
Terry Houston 3 inch downpipe.
Slicks:D

This should get you into the low 11s safely and if you launch hard and run alot of boost you may see a very high 10.

very cool man! thanks for your advice. the main thing i want to make sure i have is reliability. im so psyched about getting some mods on the GN this winter :D and other opinions would be sweet :)

Originally posted by turboman38
IMHO here is what you need to go where you want go:
TE60 turbo
50 lb injectors
chip for your combo
ported heads - stockers would be fine for your goals
3200 - 3400 stall convertor
bigger intercooler - a good stock location unit or a front mount
Terry Houston 3 inch downpipe.
Slicks:D

I'd go with 55s, just to have some elbow room in tuning.
And for Chips do your own.

You'll flat be amazed what you can do with the RIGHT chip.

Oh and you'll need a Translator or T+ so you don't have to fool around figuring out what MAP drop-out is.

Originally posted by bruce
I'd go with 55s, just to have some elbow room in tuning.
And for Chips do your own.

You'll flat be amazed what you can do with the RIGHT chip.

Oh and you'll need a Translator or T+ so you don't have to fool around figuring out what MAP drop-out is.
where can i get info about a translator/T+ ?? i never heard of that before :confused:

MAP dropout? I think bruce means MAF :)

Try www.ramchargers.com for some info on the Translator & T+, it's basically a signal adapter that allows you to run an LT1 or LS1 MAF on a turbo buick.

As for combo, here is the basics of mine which has run a solid string of 11.4's@~119.5 so far on a street chip, 28-10.5-15" slicks, xylene homebrew & 22~23 lbs of boost:

CPP competition shortblock w/ venolia forged pistons (9:1), 206 cam, billet caps on the centers & a girdle

refreshed stock heads with a good 3 angle valve job

te-61 turbo w/ pte .63 exhaust housing

terry houston downpipe into a torque tech 3" exhaust system

Kurtz built tranny with a 3200 rpm stall top hat (9/11") converter

HRPartsNStuff rear control arms, 28 spline Moser axles & stock 3.42

50lb injectors & custom burned street chip

Doug C.

what size injectors should i be looking for for running in the mid/low 11s? i want to buy everything at once... turbo, injectors, intercooler, chip, and down pipe all at once.. almost done saving up :cool:

I agree with everything Turboman listed but I would make 2 slight changes. 55's and modified ECM instead of Msd-48's. I would go with a tad bigger turbo too. A 60 will prob get you there but for consisnent high 10 sec passes I think a tad more would be in order. I think maybe a 63 or a John Craig TE-45A

Sully

hey ive seen the name john graig a lot... does he have a website? thanks a lot for your opinions people, greatly appreciated! :D

Ron
I will describe my combo and you can make up your own mind if it is where you want to go. 87 T Type stock= block,bore, pistons, rods,and 206 cam. ATR Double Pumper, ATR Headers, ATR
Liquid Intercooler, Ported and Polished Iron Heads, 72 lbs injectors, 70mm TLB, 70 turbo P Trim A/R .69, DFI.Stock Rearend and a Art Carr 3800 stall non lock up converter.

18 lbs of boost with 92 octane the car put 390 hp to the rear wheels on the dyno.

21 lbs of boost with C-116 the car ran 11.23 123 mph.

REG

wow - from your buildup I would guess that would be a 10.50 car rather than a 11.20 car.

Sully