Looking for some parts opinions

Captain Calais

I'm just looking for some opinions on parts from some of you guys. Not many reviews out there on the WWW.

First and foremost: Exhaust. Mainly mufflers. What is your opinion on the best sound for a V6? There are so many aftermarket, free flowing performance mufflers to go along with your performance exhaust, but I want to know which one sounds the best.

I know that V6's sound waaaay different than the V8 cars. I'm looking for a muffler that will give me a more agressive sound than stock, but not make my car sound like a riced out honda when WOT. I've heard Flowmaster is crap, sound too much like an import. Listened to some sound clips of a car with Aerochambers, still a little too ricey for me.

From what I've kinda heard is people really like the dynomax's and magnaflow's. What about Pypes? Has anyone used thos on their car? Their mufflers are stainless, which is something I'd prefer, and not too expensive. But I can't find a sound clip with them on a V6. So what's the opinion?

Next: TA Performance Parts.
First, has anyone used a set of their aluminum heads? What kind of performance gains did you experience with these if you did?

Also, they are remaking the Kenne-Bell #1 intake, but under the TA name. It's a single plane rather than dual. I know duals are better for low end performance, and single the opposite, but is it true single planes are an overall ok intake on the V6? I've read that the Kenne-Bell intake is the best overall carb V6 intake you can get, even for a mild street engine. The only dual plane is the Edelbrock, but it's not EGR supportive. And I'm not removing my EGR. I know that there is the stock 4.1 intake, but it's too damn hard to come across, especially here in Canada. I don't think our cars recieved the 4.1 (same story as the 305 instead of the 307 in Oldsmobiles).

Lastly, for now, is Carbs.
I want to go with a quadrajet 4bbl. Again, I know that the one from the 4.1 would work. Would a regular qjet from say a 305 be ok? I understand that the V6 and V8 qjets are tuned differently. Would I be able to tune the 305 one to work like a stock 4.1 version? Where would I get a kit, or info, on how to do this?

I know this is a lot of info to process. But input would be great.

-Dave

first off, I use flowmasters..... work great and havent given me a performance problem... ask the rest of the cruces boys... they will confirm.

second, if your thinking about aluminum heads for your NA car im going to suggest aganst it. theres no need for them until your solidly into the 10 sec range, and even then, its going to take alot of work to push that NA car into the tens. a well built set of stock GN 8445s well get you going, as there is better money spent elsewhere.

3rd, The stock 4.1 intake is hardly rare at all.. I can get ya one for 65 bucks shipped and is your best choice for street driving.
I had been running a weiand single plain in my truck and in a NA configuration it was a total dog unless you had like 3000 stall. The edelbrock dual plane is the best bet for a daily street driven car.... otherwise the low end becomes a real hassel. I have used the kenne bell unit in the past... and it was probably the best street compromise to a single plane, but I still reccomend aganst it.
Is there any reason for not removing EGR?

as for a quadrajet.... well charlie can fill you in on that..... my suggestions are to run an edelbrock 500 and be totally street friendly.

A.j.

I want to keep my egr. It's that simple. No need to up the cylinder temp and risk pinging if I don't have to. But, I'm not here to argue the whole EGR debate.

Which brings me to my next point. The edelbrock isn't emissions legal. So that won't work. Up here in AB there isn't emission laws...yet. Lots of talks though. I just want to be prepared. Plus, I might was well do my part.

As for the heads, that was a bit off topic for the NA talk. I was just wondering if anyone had any good experience with them on any engine. I should have been more specific. My bad. But on the topic of NA heads, what is the best upgrade?

As for the rarity of the 4.1 intake-you can't find one anywhere in a junkyard in Canada. That makes it pretty rare for us haha. Even on ebay, you can go on right now and there isn't a single one up for bids. If you have one, or can get me one, let me know :) if you can get me one with that has the matching, non computer controlled qjet, even better :D

Hmm........ well im sorry on the EGR choice, so yes that limits us big time to parts availability.

I will dig up a stocker 4bbl for you, shouldnt be any problem. As for the quadrajet.... those go right to my trash can now. But im sure charlie has one in stock.

As for the TA heads.... they are some fantastic units.... real thick in the deck area and meaty in the ports for plenty of hoggin out. IMHO... there the closest thing you can get in terms of stage 2 power without stage 2 heads.

But for NA, pick up a nice used set of GN 8445s and have them rebuilt. A good valve job - maybe a nice set of valves and alot of time spent in the bowl and valve throat area doing some porting will be your best bang for the buck. Rebuilding these heads is almost always needed though if your upgrading to a larger than .450 lift cam, this applies to 90% of buick V6 heads.

I will let ya know ASAP when I find a decent intake for ya in the yard.

:biggrin:A.j.

Here's something you need to read Dave. You still have a legal intake and it flows much better that it did from the factory.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/be.../281474-modification-4-1-4-barrel-intake.html

As far as the carb you didn't say what year car you have and that will make a difference on which one you use. If you are planning on using one off a V8 I've done it before and it worked fine. If you have an ECM then it's not a problem but if you don't then it's pretty much a crap shoot.

BTW Aj, where's those Q-jet parts you promised me?

Thanks for that link Charlie.

I'd need one that isn't computer controlled. It's going on a '79 Cutlass.

Hey Dr. Frank. Let me know if you find a nice one for me.

If you can find a Q-jet off an earlier car, say one built before 70, you should be fine. They're rated at 630 CFM and will work the best. I blew the rear out of my NA Skyhawk with one. It was a messy situation but it made the car pull like nothing else.

Here's something you need to read Dave. You still have a legal intake and it flows much better that it did from the factory.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/be.../281474-modification-4-1-4-barrel-intake.html

As far as the carb you didn't say what year car you have and that will make a difference on which one you use. If you are planning on using one off a V8 I've done it before and it worked fine. If you have an ECM then it's not a problem but if you don't then it's pretty much a crap shoot.

BTW Aj, where's those Q-jet parts you promised me?

sitting in a box under the bench, dont quite have enough to make shipping the box worth it yet. as you said you only wanted BOP and turbo units right?

A.j.

sitting in a box under the bench, dont quite have enough to make shipping the box worth it yet. as you said you only wanted BOP and turbo units right?

A.j.

Any of the needles, power valves, Jets, and rear hangers. Doesn't matter if they're chevy or not Aj. I can use all of them.:smile:

I thought that all non-computer controlled quadrajets were either 750 or 800 cfm.

And if I get one off of a 1970 and earlier car, woudn't it not work properly with my emissions equipment?

Any of the needles, power valves, Jets, and rear hangers. Doesn't matter if they're chevy or not Aj. I can use all of them.:smile:

ok... i will find some local kiddie to work on pulling the guts out of the chevy ones.

I wonder what the recycle value of zinc is?

A.j.

I thought that all non-computer controlled quadrajets were either 750 or 800 cfm.

And if I get one off of a 1970 and earlier car, woudn't it not work properly with my emissions equipment?

The eariest ones are 630 CFM and the power valve is slightly different. The best one I've found has an enrighment valve on one side. Very hard to find one of them. It's refered to as an altitude compensation valve if you can find one. The best response out of one is the very eariest ones though. If you can get two different ones you can swap them out when you need to. As far as a "legal" air cleaner see if you can find one off a GM truck with a V6 and TBI. It has a huge inlet and is offset slightly for the V6.

4.1L intakes according to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Intake Manifold
Buick LeSabre 1016,82 LES 4.1,4 BAR,25502243 A M3243 $65 Westwood Auto And Truck Parts USA-OH(Toledo) Request_Quote 1-866-317-9271 Request_Insurance_Quote

Intake Manifold
Cadillac #8887788 #8887788 $50 Hy-Way Service, LLC USA-ME(Milford) E-mail 1-877-884-4568 / 1-207-827-5568
Intake Manifold
Cadillac Eldorado 4.1L,4BL,FCT 8H0172 $Call Long Prairie Auto Parts USA-MN(Long-Prairie) E-mail 320-732-9007

Unfortunately none listed in Canada.

Where are you in AB? I used to live up there.

What is special about the GN 8445 heads? Will they fit on a '79 block? Why are they and improvement over stock? Sorry, I'm not too knowledgable about heads yet.

What is special about the GN 8445 heads? Will they fit on a '79 block? Why are they and improvement over stock? Sorry, I'm not too knowledgable about heads yet.

there not that special per-say, there generally identical to the stock 79 heads in chamber and valve size... but they are thought as the stongest and most resistnt to overheating warpage and blown headgaskets.

plus, they are cheap and easy to find here.

A.j.